PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think that Jordan is enjoying this?

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 06:41 PM
I only say this as I've been reading all his comments in the various papers today, and I was thinking to myself, how many chairman come out the next day and discuss his next appointment after sacking someone in the papers ?

He's actually mentioned managers names, ruling certain people out of the job even if they have no thoughts on applying. He'll look very stupid if he can't attract anyone half decent now.

I get the feeling he just loves reading what he says in the papers, we are involved in a relegation fight and he's talking about George Graham and Stuart Pearce, I don't quite get the guy, he still appears completely naive.

Beanie
01-05-2001, 06:58 PM
I disagree - SJ only refered to names which have already been mentioned by others - he didn't come up with them. By knocking a few on the head he MAY have stopped a lot of idle speculation. I should think this was very welcome - especially for Wycombe and Brighton who may not want their managers names being linked with another club. All he said about Graham and Pearce was that they had been mentioned, but that he didn't know. What was he supposed to say? "Well - they're too good for this club?" Of course not. And if he'd said nothing at all? He would have been accused of being uninterested or having something to hide.

PeterH
01-05-2001, 07:02 PM
Key question for next weeks forum:

When you gonna keep your mouth shut as far as the press are concerned.

One of many questions to be directed. Not such an easy ride this time.

A seperate thread of serious intelligent and useful points will have to be produced before the event.

i.e. With your comment about Steve being cute to leave are you know saying he resigned totally off his own back and was nut pushed, and, was it necessary to bring Steve into it at all nine months after the event when you are sacking your decision as a replacement.

When are you going to employ a proper managing director/chief executive who knows how to run a football club. (This is a point I have heard many people raise in pubs).

etc. etc.

We need to make sure between us that these questions are actually asked, so we don't get the soft soap treatment again.

And on a further note, me thinks it takes a lot of balls for him to face us once again.

Men At Work
01-05-2001, 07:03 PM
He certainly seems to like the attention. Interesting that he became very quiet over the last few weeks but now has raised his profile since (finally) getting rid of Smith. Unfortunately this gives the impression of a kid who has performed some fairly mundane task and is using it to try and gain praise - and being a little upset that the adulation isn't forthcoming. I do wonder why he has the need for almost-continual over-compensatory remarks ("I spent 8 million on players", etc.). Perhaps he shouldn't have bothered with the sports psychologist for the players and just got a normal one for himself http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

bucketbongeagle
01-05-2001, 07:08 PM
Of course not, Im sure he's sweating over the fact we're going down. He's already blown a fortune on buying the place and on players and now he's going to have to cough up again in order to try and put things right. After Saturday's display do you really think he's happy ?

SKILLS
01-05-2001, 07:09 PM
I think he likes the publicity - whether it's Palace or himself, he likes to be in the papers and say what he thinks.

P.Hep
01-05-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by PeterH:
We need to make sure between us that these questions are actually asked, so we don't get the soft soap treatment again.

yeah very good point

Men At Work
01-05-2001, 07:17 PM
But James will have to write them out for us because I don't think he'll be allowed to ask any questions http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Beanie:
I disagree - SJ only refered to names which have already been mentioned by others - he didn't come up with them. By knocking a few on the head he MAY have stopped a lot of idle speculation. I should think this was very welcome - especially for Wycombe and Brighton who may not want their managers names being linked with another club. All he said about Graham and Pearce was that they had been mentioned, but that he didn't know. What was he supposed to say? "Well - they're too good for this club?" Of course not. And if he'd said nothing at all? He would have been accused of being uninterested or having something to hide.

But my point is, why does he feel he has to come out and say anything at all ? Other chairman don't talk in great detail about future positions. We hadn't been linked with anyone until he came out with his latest rantings. Now he has the hopes up that we're going to get George Graham, what will he think when he reads it himself ? How does Steve Copell feel after seeing that Jordan has said he'll never get the job, he doesn't even bloody want it !! I'd prefer a chairman who would just shut up and concentrate on his job.

DanishEagle
01-05-2001, 07:28 PM
I think Jordan is fully aware that Steve Coppell does NOT want the job, but let's face it appears that a very large number of supporters do and he is simply mentioning the simply fact that it is not going to happen, thus crushing any hopes that some fans have of a Coppell return. Now what is wrong with that one?! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Richard
01-05-2001, 07:29 PM
He did say that he had "wopped his nob on the hob", or something, in "I'm a Bloke" magazine.

I'm sure he loves the limelight.

Nobby
01-05-2001, 07:32 PM
And so does his nob.

Marco
01-05-2001, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle:
Of course not, Im sure he's sweating over the fact we're going down. He's already blown a fortune on buying the place and on players and now he's going to have to cough up again in order to try and put things right. After Saturday's display do you really think he's happy ?

Everyone knows that Jordan has a massive ego and he cant get enough publicity. Maybe he sacked Smith because the fans were paying too much attention to the manager and not thinking about Jordan....

Something a bit more worrying is that, Division 2 = Playing Brighton next year = Long weekend on the south coast for SJ!
Could Jordan have planned our relegation all along so he could spend the weekend in Brighton with his firends http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by DanishEagle:
I think Jordan is fully aware that Steve Coppell does NOT want the job, but let's face it appears that a very large number of supporters do and he is simply mentioning the simply fact that it is not going to happen, thus crushing any hopes that some fans have of a Coppell return. Now what is wrong with that one?! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif

1) I don't think that a 'very large number' want Coppell back as manager.
2) So if that's your argument do you believe that 'a very large number' wanted Bassett back as well? and Mickey Adams ? who he's also dismissed.
3) I presume he'll dismiss every other name that's linked form now on !

DanishEagle
01-05-2001, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Fat Andy:

2) So if that's your argument do you believe that 'a very large number' wanted Bassett back as well? and Mickey Adams ? who he's also dismissed.

To 1) Are you deaf/blind? http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif The amount of chants to this tune & the current polls running on numerous web site i.e. This is London. I think you will that in fact it is a very large number.

To 2) Now did I say that. I do not think so!?

To 3) Don't be so pathetic?! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Ruskin Old Boy
01-05-2001, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeterH:
[B]Key question for next weeks forum:

This is a point I have heard many people raise in pubs.

QUOTE]

If we relied on what people raise in pubs we'd be back in the dark ages....

Beanie
01-05-2001, 07:51 PM

The problem is that the press think the fans want SC back - and not surprising after all the chants at recent games. All the names mentioned HAVE been linked by the press. If they're non-starters then what is so wrong is saying so? If he didn't speak to the press they'd make something up anyway. This at least is what SJ said not what the press think (or hoped) he might have said.

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by DanishEagle:
To 1) Are you deaf/blind? http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif The amount of chants to this tune & the current polls running on numerous web site i.e. This is London. I think you will that in fact it is a very large number.

To 2) Now did I say that. I do not think so!?

To 3) Don't be so pathetic?! http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif

I don't think that I'm deaf or blind, you're obviously right in saying that the whole crowd wanted Coppell back, there was me thinking it was just an anti-Smith protest and a 'dig' at Jordan. I was obviously the only one chanting it just to make a point. And obviously all the people on the BBS saying they don't want a past manager back in charge, or that Coppell was good but we must move on were just talking rubbish.I will bow to your superior knowledge.

And thanks for calling me pathetic, it just adds so much weight to your argument.

DanishEagle
01-05-2001, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Beanie:
The problem is that the press think the fans want SC back - and not surprising after all the chants at recent games. All the names mentioned HAVE been linked by the press. If they're non-starters then what is so wrong is saying so? If he didn't speak to the press they'd make something up anyway. This at least is what SJ said not what the press think (or hoped) he might have said.

Beanie well done. Obviously Fat Andy missed my point. Thanks! Anyway let's move on eh?!
http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif
Sorry Fat Andy, couldn't resist!!!

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 08:13 PM
But you're missing my point, the actual original thread, which didn't even mention Coppell.
Has the Arsenal Chairman talked to the press about rumours of Wenger leaving?
Has the Man Utd chairman talked about the rumours of who'll take over after Ferguson?

The press love Palace because they know that Jordan will give them some fantastic quotes.

The moment Smith was sacked Jordan made the back pages, and he was on sky sports harping on. We're a team about to be relegated. You obviously don't mind Jordan making us a laughing stock.

I'm being outnumbered here, and that's fair enough, I'd just like us not to appear in the papers every day (for all the wrong reasons).

Jake
01-05-2001, 08:18 PM

He's actually mentioned managers names, ruling certain people out of the job even if they have no thoughts on applying. He'll look very stupid if he can't attract anyone half decent now.

I totally agree with you here. How unprofessional of Jordan to blatantly slag off Managers in the press, and as for actually naming some, words fail me.

Jordan is going the same way as Goldberg.

DanishEagle
01-05-2001, 08:23 PM
But you're missing my point, the actual original thread, which didn't even mention Coppell.
Has the Arsenal Chairman talked to the press about rumours of Wenger leaving?
Has the Man Utd chairman talked about the rumours of who'll take over after Ferguson?

The press love Palace because they know that Jordan will give them some fantastic quotes.

The moment Smith was sacked Jordan made the back pages, and he was on sky sports harping on. We're a team about to be relegated. You obviously don't mind Jordan making us a laughing stock.

I'm being outnumbered here, and that's fair enough, I'd just like us not to appear in the papers every day (for all the wrong reasons).

I know but my response was in response to your words whcih perhaps I should have made clear:

"How does Steve Copell feel after seeing that Jordan has said he'll never get the job, he doesn't even bloody want it !! I'd prefer a chairman who would just shut up and concentrate on his job."

Basically I was stating that he was merely making it clear to the Coppell Fans out there and let's face it there are plenty of those.

We should be thrilled that it made the news.
Most of the time the press are totally anti-palace in their match reports etc.

I do agree that SJ has much to learn when it comes to dealing with the press!!!! However, it is big news allbeit somewhat bad timing and should it have happened a long time ago - I think yes.

Peace http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 08:24 PM
I suppose we'll just beg to differ, I'm too exhausted now to argue.

Harry Holmesdale
01-05-2001, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Marco:
Could Jordan have planned our relegation all along so he could spend the weekend in Brighton with his firends http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/eek.gif

....your not suggesting Mr Jordan is a confirmed bachelor are you http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/wink.gif

Al From Bromley
01-05-2001, 08:30 PM
The Cliff Richard of the football world?

Moving swiftly on, Jordan should have said when asked about managers by the press "We still have two games to play. Steve Kember is in charge until the end of the season. Then, and only then, will I sit down and consider the options for Manager of Crystal Palace Football Club next season"

"Simon, Simon, can I just ask, are you looking forward to the Brighton trip next season"

"No more questions lads. Dom, sort them out will you"?

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 08:45 PM
NO,NO,NO,NO. That's agreeing with me, not allowed,try again.

PeterH
01-05-2001, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeterH:
[B]Key question for next weeks forum:

This is a point I have heard many people raise in pubs.

QUOTE]

If we relied on what people raise in pubs we'd be back in the dark ages....

If we relied on the combined knowledge of a two bit manager, a Jonny get rich quick chairman and his pet rottweiller, we would end up in the second division.

I was only posting the pub angle because the manager director idea was not mine.

Anything you want to pick out of this post.

jempie
01-05-2001, 09:59 PM
Can't you guys get off his back????

it may be too late, but he has got rid of as.

save all this rubbish til the end of the season at least.

Fat Andy
01-05-2001, 10:01 PM
I don't like having a 'go' at anyone, but unfortunately if Palace fans got off everyones back at the moment then the BBS would be a very empty place !

jempie
01-05-2001, 10:04 PM
I don't like having a 'go' at anyone, but unfortunately if Palace fans got off everyones back at the moment then the BBS would be a very empty place !

true, true.

But don't you think we have more pressing issues.

Many people said that if SJ got rid of AS then they would actually respect him, for swallowing pride, and doing the right thing despite his personal position. Have they all gone into hiding now?!?!?!?

SelhurstSuperstar
01-05-2001, 11:01 PM
He likes the limelight, and the fame however, he is a palace, fan and can't be happy about he league position, however I think the guy loves having the power to make the major decision of who the next manager will be. But don't get me wrong I have the upmost respect for the guy.

Crunchie
01-05-2001, 11:09 PM
I agree that most people don't want Coppell back

We need a new manager with no RECENT connections with Palace to give us a fresh start, a bit like Ericksson with England, who can look at thing from a fresh, but different angle.

I think Jordon has done the right thing here (he obviusly reads the BBS http://www.cpfc.org/ubb/smile.gif ). He was quiet until he Sack Smith and then has come out denying some names linked to the club to stop all the speculation in the media and maybe on here.

I hope he can rule out Gerry Francis, PLEASE!

Jon Thompson
01-05-2001, 11:21 PM
I suppose that if Jordan hadn't said anything to the press, this would be a thread about him not letting us know what is going on. Any excuse to moan.

I'm glad that he has ruled out some quite ridiculous choices for manager. Everyone is speculating on here about who the next man will be and the press are picking up on that. It's these people that Jordan is ruling out. Who cares if he has slagged off bassett, he walked out on us last time he was here.
As for moan utd and arsenal they have not just sacked their manager, so there's no need for their respective chairmen to comment.

Crunchie
01-05-2001, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Jon Thompson:
I suppose that if Jordan hadn't said anything to the press, this would be a thread about him not letting us know what is going on. Any excuse to moan.

I'm glad that he has ruled out some quite ridiculous choices for manager. Everyone is speculating on here about who the next man will be and the press are picking up on that. It's these people that Jordan is ruling out. Who cares if he has slagged off bassett, he walked out on us last time he was here.
As for moan utd and arsenal they have not just sacked their manager, so there's no need for their respective chairmen to comment.

hear,hear!

I.Flyer
01-05-2001, 11:40 PM
For Ch***t's sake, give the man a chance. There is an old saying which very much applies here "he can't do right for doing wrong".

Get off his back, give him chance and remember 'you can't please all of the people all of the time'

He did save the club.
He did 'put his money where his mouth is'
He may soon be down another few million
He did finally do what most us wanted - got rid of AS.
He is a Palace fan.

Sorry about all the cliches but I felt sorry for the bloke who's trying to do something about the club he cares for, but still getting it wrong as far as some are concerned.

------------------
You can check out any time but you can never leave

Eric the Ginga
02-05-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by I.Flyer:
For Ch***t's sake, give the man a chance. There is an old saying which very much applies here "he can't do right for doing wrong".

Get off his back, give him chance and remember 'you can't please all of the people all of the time'

Hear! Hear!At last someone agrees with me. SJ has ploughed more money into the club in 9 months than all of us have in the last 9 years.

He has acknowledged his mistake (albeit a little late) and sacked Isiah.

Give the guy time and I think he'll get it right when appointing the new manager.

Joe Knight
02-05-2001, 12:15 AM
To be fair....what Palace fan wouldn't enjoy picking the next manager for the club?
i know i would love it.

Trolley
02-05-2001, 12:19 AM
I.Flyer,

May I congratulate you on an excellent post - My views entirely.

Fat Andy
02-05-2001, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately when you are involved with a football club you are judged on what you achieve. Yes, I will always be grateful that SJ saved our club, but at the end of the day we will be playing 2nd division football next season for the first time in almost 25 years. You can not expect supporters not to be p1ssed off.

Rightly or wrongly I don't believe a word SJ says anymore, and I doubt that Goldberg screwed the club on purpose either but I'll never forgive him, and he was hailed as our saviour when he bought out Noades.

bullsh*t on tap
02-05-2001, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Richard:
He did say that he had "wopped his nob on the hob", or something, in "I'm a Bloke" magazine.

Gas, electric or halogen hob ? Ouch.