PDA

View Full Version : Palace right to sack Smith - Clarridge

RDSdaEAGLE
02-05-2001, 06:05 PM
Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan has done the right thing in sacking manager Alan Smith - even at this late stage in the season.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Palace are in freefall and something needed to be done to put a stop to it.

They've spent a lot of money and with the players they've got they shouldn't be thinking of relegation. But they've underachieved right throughout the club. Maybe the players haven't responded to Smith's management. I can only speak as I find, and I certainly found it difficult to work for him.

But everyone at Palace has got to look at themselves, from the top to the bottom, and ask if they've given enough this season. As for Jordan, he has got to be very careful to make sure he doesn't become another Mark Goldberg.

He says he's got 80m available to change Palace's fortunes - he might well need that and more the way things are going.

Smith: Desperate times

Players like David Hopkin don't come cheap - Bradford couldn't afford to keep him in the Premiership - and the sort of wages they will be paying won't be sustainable on a Second Division budget.

Goldberg soon got through the best part of 50m and got nowhere and with the benefit of hindsight I'm sure he would have been much more careful with his money.

nookiebear
02-05-2001, 06:17 PM
He had lots of run-ins with Smith when he was at Palace in the reserves

Read his book, which is bloody funny, but doesn't have a good word to say about Smith.

Then again, does anyone?