PDA

View Full Version : Super Wayne

bo04991
16-08-2004, 10:31 AM
ANyone else hear a vicious rumour that Wayne maybe going to Spurs? Have heard this mentioned by someone suggesting that Rohan Rickets may go the other way.

Even if this is complete rubbis, I hope someone like Wayne would have more sense than to leave the club at a time like this.

Dave
16-08-2004, 10:35 AM
No - but I did hear that AJ is being sold and another premiership striker being used as makeweight in a deal.

It's silly season and probably best to ignore 90% of all rumours.

maestro
16-08-2004, 10:35 AM
I think that this year theres going to be alot of rumours about wayne, hes a player thatcatches the eye but i doubt that Dowie would let him go unless for silly money

thewill
16-08-2004, 10:36 AM
here here, although it is inevitable that throughout the season other clubs will realise the genius of our 'star players'. aj and wayne will be linked to other prem clubs a lot, just ignore it, they aint going anywhere

CPFC987
16-08-2004, 10:39 AM
It was also rumoured before he was off to liverpool for 7million :rolleyes:

bo04991
16-08-2004, 10:41 AM
I have slated him for suggesting it but he seems confident that it'll go through.

I cant see Dowie letting any of our big players go this season

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by CPFC987
It was also rumoured before he was off to liverpool for 7million :rolleyes:

As much as I love Wayne if that was true he would be gone by now.

kolinkins
16-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Dave
No - but I did hear that AJ is being sold and another premiership striker being used as makeweight in a deal.

It's silly season and probably best to ignore 90% of all rumours.

:eek:

Who, what, where and why?

Friskey
16-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
As much as I love Wayne if that was true he would be gone by now.

Yeah for 7 million he would have to go.

Wayne is class but I if we got the 7 million to spend on improving the squad we would have a much better chance of staying up.

If we receieve 'silly' bids for anyone I think they will be accepted.

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2004, 10:49 AM
wayne is replaceable if a silly bid come along we should sell.

It wasn't me!
16-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Wayne still hasn't been offered a new contract.

There are a couple of prem clubs keeping a close eye on him. But not SPURS!!! he wouldn't go there anyway.

Son of Selhurst
16-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Friskey
Wayne is class but I if we got the 7 million to spend on improving the squad we would have a much better chance of staying up.

:bash:

'Improve' on a skillful player like Wayne..... ???

MasterYoda
16-08-2004, 10:55 AM
You could buy a lot of player for that. The jury's still out on Wayne at the moment.

bo04991
16-08-2004, 10:57 AM
"The Jury is still out"?????!!!!!!

There are three reasons why we are in the Prem:

Dowie
AJ
Wayne

How is the jury still out?

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by bo04991

Dowie
AJ
Wayne

How is the jury still out?

not sure i agree with that.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst

7 mil could def replace Wayne and with the money left we could Improve the squad with 2 or 3 more additions.

If someone bid 7 milllion for Wayne would you turn it down??????

Remeber that England internationals such as Murphy and Butt only went for 2.5 mill, I know there older than Wayne but a silly bid such as 7 milion would have to be accepted.

we_8_brighton
16-08-2004, 11:00 AM
I think unless big money comes in he will stay as he is a vital part of our squad.

Martin H
16-08-2004, 11:02 AM
I think if we were offered silly money then I would take it. There is a chance that he will be a huge star but I think in 'speed of development' terms he has lost his way over the past 12 months.

I am NOT saying he is crap. But I am saying up until the past 18 months he was way ahead of his contempories. The past 12 months or more he has been improving slowly at best. He catches the eye because he occasionally does very cool things but he is doing them at the same rate as he was 12 months ago. He isn't growing as fast as he might.

Neither he nor we should panic but unless he improves his overall contribution or significantly improves his creative output then he won't realise his full potential.

I have yet to see him dominate 'a game'. I have seen him dominate a fullback, for sure. I have seen him have a blinder but that isn't the same thing. He has turned games because of magic moments or incidents and not his overall contribution to a game - if you see what I mean.

An extreme example of what I mean would be Gazza or Rooney - who would transform a match and you can almost see them take control.

His final ball is too inconsistent - either genius or too often not.

None of the above means he is crap - he clearly isn't. But I am worried that he may not be the player I had once hoped and if we could realise a solid exchange and some healthy cash in the bank then I would take it. Wish Chelsea were interested!

Anyway I am ecstatic if he stays too. I do think someone needs to sit him down and explain how important this season really is to him. It is make or break for him and Palace and he has to take responsibility for that. Sloping off as Palace get relegated won't be as easy if he hasn't made another stride forward. Saturday's performance wouldn't be enough to tempt a buyer.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Martin H

I do think someone needs to sit him down and explain how important this season really is to him. It is make or break for him and Palace and he has to take responsibility for that. .

How is this season make or break for Wayne or Palace????????

Essexeagle
16-08-2004, 11:06 AM

There are several reasons why we are in the Prem:

Dowie
Harbin
Symons
AJ
Wayne
Gray
Shipperley
Freedman
Hughes
Aki
Derry
Black
Granville
Popo
Powell
Ligertwood
Hudson
Vaesen
Butterfield
Cerdric

You appeared to have made a mistake. I've corrected your post.

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 11:08 AM

Are you saying We should turn a bid of 7million down?

bo04991
16-08-2004, 11:10 AM
I personnally think he is a match winner/saver. On Sat we missed a few chances to draw level but in the end it took a great piece of skill and a good through ball to set up AJ and we earned a point. I would liken him to Whright Phillips in that he wont put in 90 mins solid performances week in week out but he will produce goals and assists when needed most.

A vital part of the team.

Not only that, I think we would be very negative without him as I think only Wayne and AJ are the only people in our team that run at defenses and take them on(cant comment on Kolkka yet)

bo04991
16-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Essexeagle

I think that you could take out most people from that side and we would still be where we are apart from Dowies brilliance, AJs goals and Waynes assists.

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 11:15 AM

Dowie
AJ
Wayne

How is the jury still out? Im sorry but to say Routledge is one of the main reasons we are in the prem im ludacris, its a team game yes AJ is a big reason because hes our goalscorer and yes Dowie is our key to success but im blinded to see how routledge had much of an impact on our promotion???

Reason we are in the prem - the team plays well together and we have a quality manager

Friskey
16-08-2004, 11:15 AM
I think that you could take out most people from that side and we would still be where we are apart from Dowies brilliance, AJs goals and Waynes assists.

Even Harbin????????????

Tim
16-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Wayne was quality on saturday he`s getting better & better, I hope we don`t sell him for any price!

Martin H
16-08-2004, 11:19 AM
How is this season make or break for Wayne or Palace????????

Derrrr

Because a 'prospect that has been in the headlines since he was playing U16's would be expected to reallse that potential by the time he was 20 and he will be nearer 21 than 20 by the start of next season.

He will have been tested at the highest level and if he is to be a superstar (that I would like him to be) then he would have to have shown something by the end of the season. He will be under the spotlight every week and everyone will see him as he is (on football first if nothing else) not when they see the goals he scores.

So to me this is a key point for Wayne - upwards or sideways. The risk for him (in my humble opinion) is that a flair player can be forgiven a lot while they are developing but if they do not 'get even more creative or put together their 'overall game' then they become a liability. At this age and following 3 years in the first team he should be expected to have moved forward.

I don't mean he won't get a game anywhere - I am comparing him to a potential superstar.

Hence a make or break year for him.

Palace - it is even more obvious isn't it? I am not implying a meltdown (although that is always a risk) but the difference between staying up and relegation is massive.

nookiebear
16-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Jordan would surely have a riot on his hands if he sells AJ and Routledge

1dougiefreedman
16-08-2004, 11:21 AM

They were all obviously a major part in our succes, however gray, hughes, riihilati and popovic all had a huge part in the promotion.

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 11:21 AM

'Improve' on a skillful player like Wayne..... ??? Shaun Wright Phillips or Simon Davies are both beter than Wayne so thats how we can improve!

Martin H
16-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by nookiebear

Agree if it was both I guess but one?

We all thought that about Morrison but I know I would do that deal again every time - cash plus AJ was a steal - credit to TF for that.

LeeH
Palace shouldnt be selling ANYONE at this stage, regardless of price. The team needs to gel and work as a unit first, then Dowie can maybe consider things when the window opens again in January.

As for Wayne, I would hate to see him go at the moment and think he needs to stay for at least a season. Even he must realise that if Palace fair poorly this year, he will stand out in the team as a playmaker and will definitely have a chance of playing for one of the top Premier League teams next year.

1dougiefreedman
Originally posted by 1dougiefreedman
They were all obviously a major part in our succes, however gray, hughes, riihilati and popovic all had a huge part in the promotion.

Oh, and harbin, vaesen and myhre.

Essexeagle
16-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Well done...the great thing about Palace is that they are a TEAM.

That's what will keep us up. How we play as a team, our spirit, our drive, our determination to fight for each other.

AndyStreet
16-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Derrrr

Because a 'prospect that has been in the headlines since he was playing U16's would be expected to reallse that potential by the time he was 20 and he will be nearer 21 than 20 by the start of next season.

I don't know where this modern obsession that a player needs to be fully developed and playing at the top of his game by the time they aren't teenagers anymore. You only need look to the likes of Zidane who only emerged in his late teens to see this - I'm not trying to compare Wayne with one of the best players of his generation as that would be unfair on him and patently ridiculous, however to suggest that he needs to 'prove himself' by the end of this season is untrue. Seems to me that the likes of Rooney have convinced people that players need to have won the Champions League by the time they reach their twenties to be capable of achieving anything in the game.

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 11:26 AM
A riot on his hands if he sold Wayne for 7million ? Think he would be certified if he didnt Waynes a great prospect but not worth that sort of money at the moment.

cpfc_spc1982

i dont actually remember many wayne asissts or game turning moments he is capable of them but more often than not i felt he was one of our most disappointing players on the pitch last season in quite a few games often flattering (with a needless walk on the ball or something ) to decieve. his over elamborate tricks making some people think he's alot more productive than he actually is ..... his time will come though and his assist at the weekend is a very promising start even if the rest of his game wasnt quiet there.

AndyStreet
Originally posted by imilanpalace
Shaun Wright Phillips or Simon Davies are both beter than Wayne so thats how we can improve!

Yes and there's more chance of me shagging Britney Spears than there is of either of those two players signing for Palace in the near future.

917L
16-08-2004, 11:27 AM
[B
Wayne

How is the jury still out? [/B]

Wayne?

7 Million, I doubt we would get offered 2, and if we did we should accept.

He was awful on Saturday, as usual thinking that the odd circus trick is the way to influence a game. He cant cross(even from a dead ball), runs into trouble frequently, is scared to take on his man, I mean how many times did he run at and past the last man on Saturday? Yes he has potential but thats all it is so far there are far better players in the Premiership than him in that position that would not cost 7 mill.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Derrrr

Hence a make or break year for him.

Palace - it is even more obvious isn't it? I am not implying a meltdown (although that is always a risk) but the difference between staying up and relegation is massive.

Or if we do get relegated we could come back stronger such as Charlton and even West Brom. Than we may stay around in the Premier for longer than the 1 season. Obviously I want us to stay up but it will not be a disaster if we go down - look long term for once!!!!!

Also Wayne is young and has the potential to be a super star - it may happen this year it may happen in the future, im confident it will happen. Just be patient!!!!!!

This season is far from make or break - with Dowie tied down for the next 4 years - I can only see us progressing.

917L
16-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by AndyStreet
Yes and there's more chance of me shagging Britney Spears than there is of either of those two players signing for Palace in the near future.

Theres also more chance of them signing for us than Wayne ever being worth 7 million!

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 917L
Theres also more chance of them signing for us than Wayne ever being worth 7 million!

Not true he can be but he is not at the moment.

thewill
16-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Wayne?

He was awful on Saturday, as usual thinking that the odd circus trick is the way to influence a game. He cant cross(even from a dead ball), runs into trouble frequently, is scared to take on his man, I mean how many times did he run at and past the last man on Saturday? Yes he has potential but thats all it is so far there are far better players in the Premiership than him in that position that would not cost 7 mill.

you're an idiot, who shrugged off 3 players before flicking the ball past another 2 for aj's goal?

AndyStreet
16-08-2004, 11:31 AM

I'm sure you're right. He'll just let his talent stagnate like all those lazy Nigerians.....

bo04991
16-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I am heavily biased by players that run with the ball and take people on(Wayne) so I may be a little over the top saying he was one of the main reasons we got promoted last year.

I do still think he can turn matches. Saturday is perfect example, he may not have played too well for the game but who was it that made the goal. Another big game that I thought he turned was the home game v Sunderland in the play off semi's. He was different gear in that game and we wouldnt have got thorough without him

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Yes and there's more chance of me shagging Britney Spears than there is of either of those two players signing for Palace in the near future. He said how do you improve thats how you improve never said we were going to get them did i !!!!!!!!!! There are plenty of players better than wayne may b they do not do the fancy tricks but they would have a much greater impact than wayne. They might be able to beat there man and have an end product.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Wayne?

Yes he was awful. He did a couple of circus tricks and played a brilliant through ball for AJ to score.

Im sure you would rather have had Black out there as he always runs at and past the last man :bash: :bash: :bash:

jazman
16-08-2004, 11:37 AM
It is a team game but ultimately you need players with the skill to turn a match like Wayne. He does not dominate a match but one bit of skill like setting up AJ for Saturday was the difference between drawing and losing. He now has to prove his potential this season against top defenders. By the way, does Kolkka remind anyone of Eddie McGoldrick by running to the by line most occasions he runs with the ball?

AndyStreet
16-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Hesaid how do you improve thats how you improve never said we were going to get them did i !!!!!!!!!! There are plenty of players better than wayne may b they do not do the fancy tricks but they would have a much greater impact than wayne. They might be able to beat there man and have an end product.

He beat three men before setting up AJ's goal. It's utterly pointless to say there are better players than Wayne - of course there are, that's obvious. However to criticise him by saying Shaun Wright-Phillips, who's one of the best right wingers in the country, is better than him is not only counter-productive but also utterly irrelevent. And I suggest you watch Wright-Phillips play if you think he never employs any skillful tricks. I have no doubt that Wright-Phillips played for us he'd get the same sort of criticism as Wayne though.

Steve in Phoenix
16-08-2004, 11:39 AM
I do still think he can turn matches. Saturday is perfect example, he may not have played too well for the game but who was it that made the goal. Another big game that I thought he turned was the home game v Sunderland in the play off semi's. He was different gear in that game and we wouldnt have got thorough without him

Agreed.. he was outstanding against Sunderland and drove their captain, McCarthy to distraction. I remember McCarthy was VERY lucky not to be sent off for resorting to some horrific fouls to stop Routledge.

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 11:40 AM
He beat three men before setting up AJ's goal. It's utterly pointless to say there are better players than Wayne - of course there are, that's obvious. However to criticise him by saying Shaun Wright-Phillips, who's one of the best right wingers in the country, is better than him is not only counter-productive but also utterly irrelevent. And I suggest you watch Wright-Phillips play if you think he never employs any skillful tricks. I have no doubt that Wright-Phillips played for us he'd get the same sort of criticism as Wayne though. Im sure he wouldnt as he has an end product. if you watched Hall on sat he got the ball ran with it beat is man and passed it! why can Wayne not manage to do this he allways has to ad a trick or two then he has to beat the man 5 times before he will even try and cross and by that time he will be marked by 2 or 3 players!

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2004, 11:40 AM
He beat three men before setting up AJ's goal. It's utterly pointless to say there are better players than Wayne - of course there are, that's obvious. However to criticise him by saying Shaun Wright-Phillips, who's one of the best right wingers in the country, is better than him is not only counter-productive but also utterly irrelevent. And I suggest you watch Wright-Phillips play if you think he never employs any skillful tricks. I have no doubt that Wright-Phillips played for us he'd get the same sort of criticism as Wayne though.

wright phillips relys more on his pace he has alot of skill as well though.
wayne doesnt have the pace of wright phillips for starters.

917L
16-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Yes he was awful. He did a couple of circus tricks and played a brilliant through ball for AJ to score.

Im sure you would rather have had Black out there as he always runs at and past the last man :bash: :bash: :bash:

So one pass means his general performance wasnt awful?

He took, how many corners? all were dreadful, gave the ball away needlesly dozens of times, and never released the ball at the right time(aprt from one occasion)

No I wouldnt prefer TB(in fact he shouldnt even be in the squad IMO)

But Routledge only flatters to decieve, and I would suggest that if say, Derry or Dougie had played that badly the majority would be on here baying for blood. As it is Wayne seems unable to do wrong in the eyes of the majority irrespective of how badly he plays.

adrenalin john
16-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I can not understand people slagging the kid off. He is a kid who is improving, sure he makes mistakes but he also scares the shit out of the oppo.
Would you prefer a 2nd rate 32 year old Italian who never makes mistakes but creates nothing, who we paid 2million for and is on mega dough, or a kid from the academy who busts a gut every week loves Palace, has enormous potential and is fantastic entertainment.

AndyStreet
16-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by cpfc_spc1982
wright phillips realies more on his pace he has alot of skill as well though.
wayne doesnt have the pace of wright phillips for starters.

Yes Wayne is slow as f*ck. In other news Claude Makelele is no better at passing the ball than Aki.

Martin H
16-08-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't know where this modern obsession that a player needs to be fully developed and playing at the top of his game by the time they aren't teenagers anymore. You only need look to the likes of Zidane who only emerged in his late teens to see this - I'm not trying to compare Wayne with one of the best players of his generation as that would be unfair on him and patently ridiculous, however to suggest that he needs to 'prove himself' by the end of this season is untrue. Seems to me that the likes of Rooney have convinced people that players need to have won the Champions League by the time they reach their twenties to be capable of achieving anything in the game.

Haven't you by your response made the point I was making.

the likes of Zidane who only emerged in his late teens to see this

The point is - most 'superstars' have proven themselves by the time they are approaching 21 - I don't mean finished article. By this age the 'developing youngster tag/excuse' no longer works. To me - this turning of age coincides with Wayne's exposure to premiership standards and high visibility. Hence make or break.

If the term 'make or break' is wrong for you then read another one! It is the criticality of the season for Wayne I was pointing at.

As for Palace - I am thinking long term. I agree that the club shouldn't fold if we go down but if we can stay up the position is massively improved. So in the same way I meant before 'make or break' - insert 'big deal' or other term if it helps.

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Im sure he wouldnt as he has an end product. if you watched Hall on sat he got the ball ran with it beat is man and passed it! why can Wayne not manage to do this he allways has to ad a trick or two then he has to beat the man 5 times before he will even try and cross and by that time he will be marked by 2 or 3 players!

Who got the assist on Saturday again?

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Yes Wayne is slow as f*ck. In other news Claude Makelele is no better at passing the ball than Aki.

when did i say hes slow , he hasnt the pace of wright phillips thats all.

ExeterEagle
16-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Wayne Routledge is the best home-grown talent we've had in the past decade and should be allowd the odd off-game, given his age. Last season, he neede the attention of at least two defenders when running with the ball, freeing up space for the like of AJ.

How anyone can be happy with selling a player of his class is quite frankly upsetting.

917L
16-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
Who got the assist on Saturday again?

Trevor Aylott scored goals for us, but it doesnt make hima good player does it?

Yes Wayne made the pass for the goal but that doesnt mean the rest of his performance was anything except awful does it?

imilanpalace
e does one thing so that makes him good? im sure if we had some one that could cross on the right we would have slaughtered them and we would have more than likely won. but wayne continues to decieve people with 1 move in the whole game that makes him look good.

AndyStreet
Haven't you by your response made the point I was making.

the likes of Zidane who only emerged in his late teens to see this

The point is - most 'superstars' have proven themselves by the time they are approaching 21 - I don't mean finished article. By this age the 'developing youngster tag/excuse' no longer works. To me - this turning of age coincides with Wayne's exposure to premiership standards and high visibility. Hence make or break.

If the term 'make or break' is wrong for you then read another one! It is the criticality of the season for Wayne I was pointing at.

As for Palace - I am thinking long term. I agree that the club shouldn't fold if we go down but if we can stay up the position is massively improved. So in the same way I meant before 'make or break' - insert 'big deal' or other term if it helps.

I meant mid-twenties. Twas a typo. There's absolutely no imperitive need for a player to have proved themselves by the time they're twenty.

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 11:47 AM
I thought we were talking about if we had a bid for Wayne of 7 million would we accept. The answer is obviously yes. If anyone feels to the contrary they should take a reallity check.

Friskey
So one pass means his general performance wasnt awful?

He took, how many corners? all were dreadful, gave the ball away needlesly dozens of times, and never released the ball at the right time(aprt from one occasion)

No I wouldnt prefer TB(in fact he shouldnt even be in the squad IMO)

But Routledge only flatters to decieve, and I would suggest that if say, Derry or Dougie had played that badly the majority would be on here baying for blood. As it is Wayne seems unable to do wrong in the eyes of the majority irrespective of how badly he plays.

I thought his performance was ok and he still set 1 goal up.
The corners were not great - but he did appear to be slipping when taking them for some reason.
He had an average game but even when he has an average game he is far better than Derry on a good day :o

Hes young and will make mistakes - he has the potentail to improve.

wrinklereeves
Cant believe all this talk about WR,it was his first game in the prem,he was not outstanding,but there again no-one was.
They will all get stronger as the season goes on.
And expect some results against the odds this season.

917L
16-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ExeterEagle
Wayne Routledge is the best home-grown talent we've had in the past .

Not true is it?

ExeterEagle
16-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Wayne Routledge is the best home-grown talent we've had in the past decade and should be allowd the odd off-game, given his age. Last season, he neede the attention of at least two defenders when running with the ball, freeing up space for the like of AJ.

How anyone can be happy with selling a player of his class is quite frankly upsetting.

AndyStreet
16-08-2004, 11:51 AM

Yes Wayne made the pass for the goal but that doesnt mean the rest of his performance was anything except awful does it?

It wasn't awful though. Bill Edgar who wrote the match report in the times described Wayne as "outstanding." I'd rather trust his opinion than that of somebody who think Dougie Freedman is a proven Premiership striker and the best player at the club.

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2004, 11:52 AM

But people harp on about no end product, when it was his assist that helped win us a point. That's an end product.

Not only that, but he worked his arse off during the game. He made life extremely difficult for David Bentley, as Bentley had to spend most of his time following Wayne.

His crossing has improved I feel. People have a very selective memory of the match. I remember a number of good crosses for Torghelle. Just because the defence challenged Torghelle for the ball, doesn't mean that the cross was a bad one.

I'm not sure what people expect. He IS young, he CAN improve, and under Dowie he HAS improved.

Colonel Britain
16-08-2004, 11:53 AM

He also forgot Simon Jordan who bank rolled the whole thing and without who we would probably be playing Leigh RMI or IN Tripoli!!!!

nicky
16-08-2004, 11:53 AM
What a depressing thread.

FOR ••••••• CHRIST SAKES YOU STUPID MOTHER••••ING ••••• - THE KID IS 19 YEARS OLD.

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 11:54 AM

His crossing has improved I feel. People have a very selective memory of the match. I remember a number of good crosses for Torghelle. Just because the defence challenged Torghelle for the ball, doesn't mean that the cross was a bad one.

Can you remind me of these crosses my mind must have gone blank? i thought all the (good) crosses came from Kolkka?

Friskey
16-08-2004, 11:57 AM
e does one thing so that makes him good? im sure if we had some one that could cross on the right we would have slaughtered them and we would have more than likely won. but wayne continues to decieve people with 1 move in the whole game that makes him look good.

Dont be ridiculous. That 1 move as you put it got us our goal. Who would you rather had on the right wing then???

The one move does not make him good his performance last season proves that - If you think otherwise you must have been watching a different team last season.

Andy Newton
16-08-2004, 11:57 AM
ffs what is wrong with people, critising a young prospect for not being an england regular at what 19, who do you think we are west ham??
I dare say you are the same people that slaged of christanio ronaldo for the first half of last season as being a one trick pony, only for him to develop as the season went on into one of manures best players.

You need to give wayne at the very least 6 months and probably a couple of years before writing one of our best prospects for years off at this level. Ok so hes not going to do a roony and have a 50 million price tag on his head in six months, or an owen, who quite frankly has looked a shadow the last two seasons thank god for that!!!!!!!

dowie is triyng to build a good young team, i have no doubt wayne is part of that plan, if theres big contract problems yes we will sell him, and that will be a shame, but thats the only reason he should go anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Can you remind me of these crosses my mind must have gone blank? i thought all the (good) crosses came from Kolkka?

Blimey, your mind must really have gone blank, if you think Kolkka made more crosses! There were two crosses to Torghelle that were of a good quality in the first half. There weren't as many in the second half, as he spent more time cutting inside.

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Dont be ridiculous. That 1 move as you put it got us our goal. Who would you rather had on the right wing then???

Exactly my point WR does one thing and that means that his bad performance is excused. If A.R or J.K does something wrong theres uproar but yet Wayne plays rubbish but it doesnt matter because he created the goal. I THINK NOT!

Disco
16-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by wrinklereeves
Cant believe all this talk about WR,it was his first game in the prem,he was not outstanding,but there again no-one was.
They will all get stronger as the season goes on.
And expect some results against the odds this season.

I'm with the above post all the way! How any of you can slate the kid for the way he played in the first competetive game of the season and playing with five new team mates is beyond me! The first game is always a ragged affair with both teams going at each other full throttle. Things will settle down and the whole team will start to express themselves a little more. Anyway, we're still above Man U!

bald-eagle
16-08-2004, 12:02 PM
It wasn't awful though. Bill Edgar who wrote the match report in the times described Wayne as "outstanding." I'd rather trust his opinion than that of somebody who think Dougie Freedman is a proven Premiership striker and the best player at the club.

I'd rather believe my own eyes. 917 and one or two others are correct when they say WR loses the ball needlessly far too much, he does, what's more he often plays too deep, hence when he loses the ball it often gives the opposition possession in a dangerous position in our own half. But what worries me more is that, on the evidence of the friendlies and norwich, he appears to be losing his appetite for going past defenders on the outside. I suspect it is partly tactics by ID but partly because he couldn't cross the f@ckin' road, let alone the ball!

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Well he was slightly better than WR and has an end product.

917L
16-08-2004, 12:03 PM

And how many times has Bill Edgar seen Palace? And I'd like to see wher I said Dougie was the best player at the club(my favcourite maybe)

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Well he was slightly better than WR and has an end product.

What? A killer pass to AJ for us to equalise?

917L
16-08-2004, 12:06 PM

People have a very selective memory of the match. I remember a number of good crosses for Torghelle. Just because the defence challenged Torghelle for the ball, doesn't mean that the cross was a bad one.

Selective, If you remember 1 decent cross from WR thats not selective its fantasy!

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 12:06 PM
What? A killer pass to AJ for us to equalise? So your excusing his bad performance on the basis that he did that?

AndyStreet
16-08-2004, 12:09 PM
And how many times has Bill Edgar seen Palace? And I'd like to see wher I said Dougie was the best player at the club(my favcourite maybe)

There are a number of people who've seen Palace play hundreds of times who don't know the first thing about football. However if you wish to continue being a self-opinionated critic of the best player Palace have produced in the last decade then that's your preroragtive. Although you're probably entirely correct and Wayne's in all likelihood just lazy like all those Nigerians.

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2004, 12:14 PM
So your excusing his bad performance on the basis that he did that?

Well, yes.

If he hadn't done that we wouldn't have won a point. :)

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Well, yes.

If he hadn't done that we wouldn't have won a point. :) i know i will play rubbish for 89 mins of the game and give away the ball but hold on i played well for one min so im brilliant!!!!

RDSdaEAGLE
16-08-2004, 12:19 PM
i know i will play rubbish for 89 mins of the game and give away the ball but hold on i played well for one min so im brilliant!!!!

I didn't base my opinion on him being brilliant. I just don't think you can criticise a player in such a venimous way, when he was the person who had a direct hand in us scoring.

You go on about the lack of an end product, when it's clear to see that HIS END PRODUCT CREATED A GOAL. It's not hard to understand. Watch the game again, it's quite obvious.

People see what they want to see. Personally, I don't think he crossed the ball enough, but I'm not saying he has no end product...he quite obviously does.

917L
16-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Well, yes.

If he hadn't done that we wouldn't have won a point. :)

The point is we could have won the game, considering the amount of ball Wayne had his contribution was negligable, someone better or WR playing better would have contributed far more.

As I said before if Derry/Aki or Dougie played that badly that would be slated on here but Routledge seems to have reached this status where he cant be criticised, strange.

917L
16-08-2004, 12:24 PM
. I just don't think you can criticise a player in such a venimous way,

Dont recall anything venemous in Imilans posts, just critical of Routledge and we're all entitled to our opinion.

KennyB
16-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by adrenalin john
I can not understand people slagging the kid off. He is a kid who is improving, sure he makes mistakes but he also scares the shit out of the oppo.
Would you prefer a 2nd rate 32 year old Italian who never makes mistakes but creates nothing, who we paid 2million for and is on mega dough, or a kid from the academy who busts a gut every week loves Palace, has enormous potential and is fantastic entertainment.

There's some key points here:-

he is improving
yes he does make mistakes
he scares the $h1t out of the oppo
he busts a gut for the love of the club
enormous potential
fanastic entertainment

And one other very relevant point. This year the standard of refereeing should be better, so I believe the best is yet to come.

Let's just watch him. I hope ID will not try to turn him into a robot, but will encourage his flair. I really do want to see what the BIG CLUBS defences will make of him. Cannot wait in fact.

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2004, 12:25 PM
he had an end product on saturday so its virtually impossible to cristise him even though other aspects of his game were poor. he almost created another goal when he moved inside with the ball and threaded it through to kolkka. he seems much more creative , when he is away from the touchline in my opinion and can go either way , when stuck on the bar line he struggles to get past the men/ man on him and his crossing is woeful.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Exactly my point WR does one thing and that means that his bad performance is excused. If A.R or J.K does something wrong theres uproar but yet Wayne plays rubbish but it doesnt matter because he created the goal. I THINK NOT!

:S: :S: :S:

I dont think you can say Wayne was rubbish and after all creating the goal did get us a point instead of 0.

And I wont even start on your comment that Kolkka was better than Wayne :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Watch the game next time :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

917L
16-08-2004, 12:29 PM

I dont think you can say Wayne was rubbish and after all creating the goal did get us a point instead of 0.

And I wont even start on your comment that Kolkka was better than Wayne :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Watch the game next time :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

Strange that someone having an opinion contrary to yours can make you angry.

I'm not sure if Kolkka was better than Wayne overall but he didnt waste the little possesion he had and from what I've seen of him is a better player than Wayne by some distance(though admittedly Wayne has time to develop)

Friskey
16-08-2004, 12:31 PM
The point is we could have won the game, considering the amount of ball Wayne had his contribution was negligable, someone better or WR playing better would have contributed far more.

As I said before if Derry/Aki or Dougie played that badly that would be slated on here but Routledge seems to have reached this status where he cant be criticised, strange.

Ok who at the club would you have played instead of Wayne who would have delivered these magical balls and got us 3 points?????

The reason Wayne doesnt get criticised as much as Aki and Derry as he has the potential to be a good Premier player where Aki and Derry dont.

We have a young talented player why dont you just back him!!!!!!!!!

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 12:32 PM

Watch the game next time :veryangry :veryangry :veryangry JK is better, he beats his man crosses to our players or passes and runs he creates more that WR and has far more pase

avin a larf
16-08-2004, 12:32 PM
It's gonna be Wayne's season, plus I got him in my fantasy football team, so it better be!

Friskey
16-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Strange that someone having an opinion contrary to yours can make you angry.

I'm not sure if Kolkka was better than Wayne overall but he didnt waste the little possesion he had and from what I've seen of him is a better player than Wayne by some distance(though admittedly Wayne has time to develop)

A better player 'by some distance' - thats the most ridiculous statement you have said so far - and believe me there have been a few!

Friskey
16-08-2004, 12:36 PM
JK is better, he beats his man crosses to our players or passes and runs he creates more that WR and has far more pase

As you seem so down on Wayne - who would you rather have at right mid when we play Everton?????

wrinklereeves
Wayne's world,Waynes world,Party time-exellent.

Sorry!

917L

The reason Wayne doesnt get criticised as much as Aki and Derry as he has the potential to be a good Premier player where Aki and Derry dont.

We have a young talented player why dont you just back him!!!!!!!!!

So its ok to slag Aki and Derry off then?

And I dont agree, they both have the potential to be decent Premiership players, the job they do is a little less 'entertaining' maybe but still crucial.

Who said I wasnt backing Wayne? but having 'blind faith' is someone is counter productive, I'm criticising aspects of his prformance that warrant criticism IMO. If you think his crossing was good, or the rest of his passing apart from the delivery for the goal, then I suggest you must have been wearing blinkers.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 12:41 PM
So its ok to slag Aki and Derry off then?

And I dont agree, they both have the potential to be decent Premiership players, the job they do is a little less 'entertaining' maybe but still crucial.

Who said I wasnt backing Wayne? but having 'blind faith' is someone is counter productive, I'm criticising aspects of his prformance that warrant criticism IMO. If you think his crossing was good, or the rest of his passing apart from the delivery for the goal, then I suggest you must have been wearing blinkers.

They will be very average Premiership players at most - that is why ID prefered a Centre back who had been at the club 2 days over them - that says it all really.

I thought his passing was ok and his crosses were not as bad as people are saying - I think he contributed more than Kolkka.

cpfc_spc1982
16-08-2004, 12:44 PM
all this talk of entertainment , persoanlly id rather see aki or hughes crunch someone than a wayne step over.

It wasn't me!
16-08-2004, 12:48 PM
I know every one is entitled to their own opinion but some of you really p me off!!!! First game of the season and you are already slagging him off. Give the boy a break, give everyone a break let the team get a few games under their belt before you comment on their game.

Also i'm sure Wayne is going to be pleased to read your comments, i can imagine it now. He is in his hotel room (as he is away with England Under 20's) checking the BBS (as he does quite often) then he sees this. Nice to know the fans have faith in him!!!!

Quite sad if you ask me, none of the players deserve to be slated so much after one game.

Some of you will never learn.

917L
16-08-2004, 12:49 PM
There are a number of people who've seen Palace play hundreds of times who don't know the first thing about football. However if you wish to continue being a self-opinionated critic of the best player Palace have produced in the last decade then that's your preroragtive. Although you're probably entirely correct and Wayne's in all likelihood just lazy like all those Nigerians.

I bow to your obvious superior knowledge and the fact that you opinion is worth more than mine.

So he's better than Mullins or Morrison is he?

Very smart (and innacurate) last comment dont you think?

nookiebear
16-08-2004, 12:50 PM
There is more chance of Psychokiller having a threesome with Prince Charles and Camilla than a club offering us £7m for Wayne

Psychokiller
16-08-2004, 12:50 PM

Possibly. Remember how young he is...

Whitney
16-08-2004, 12:55 PM

Does because his opinion is different to yours doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about!

WR was awful agianst Norwich apart from setting up the goal. His crossing both in open play and dead-balls was appaling and he never beat a man and made a decent pass or cross (apart from the goal).

Some people will look at that and say at least he offered an outlet - was willing to try things and his assist got us a point.

Others will say 1 piece of skill in 90 minutes isn't enough.

I'm with the second group.

Disco
16-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
I know every one is entitled to their own opinion but some of you really p me off!!!! First game of the season and you are already slagging him off. Give the boy a break, give everyone a break let the team get a few games under their belt before you comment on their game.

Also i'm sure Wayne is going to be pleased to read your comments, i can imagine it now. He is in his hotel room (as he is away with England Under 20's) checking the BBS (as he does quite often) then he sees this. Nice to know the fans have faith in him!!!!

Quite sad if you ask me, none of the players deserve to be slated so much after one game.

Some people are happy to be where we are and are going to enjoy every minute of the premier league, backing the team and having a party. Some people are just moaning minnies who would find something wrong no matter what.

1 One game gone, so some of you weren't happy. Build a bridge and get over it!

Friskey
16-08-2004, 12:56 PM
I bow to your obvious superior knowledge and the fact that you opinion is worth more than mine.

I think he is a better player than Morrison and Mullins and will progress to far greater things than either of them!

gatwickeagle
16-08-2004, 12:57 PM

arent we forgetting a certain mr chairman?

The Vicar
16-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Give the boy a break, give everyone a break let the team get a few games under their belt before you comment on their game.

Couldn't agree more with you as far as Wayne is concerned. I've got a lot of faith in him and can't understand how some people can be so unjustifiably critical.

Scoot
16-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Whitney
Does because his opinion is different to yours doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about!

WR was awful agianst Norwich apart from setting up the goal. His crossing both in open play and dead-balls was appaling and he never beat a man and made a decent pass or cross (apart from the goal).

Some people will look at that and say at least he offered an outlet - was willing to try things and his assist got us a point.

You might want to try drinking Fosters as you obviously cannot handle the strong stuff sonny.

917L
16-08-2004, 12:59 PM
I think he is a better player than Morrison and Mullins and will progress to far greater things than either of them!

You may be right, in fact I hope for Palace's sake you are because it can only be good for the club.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 01:01 PM

This says it all -someone can watch the match and still see nothing!
I suggest you take the blinkers off for the next match!

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 01:02 PM

Wayne will play for England if his progression continues imo a class above Morrison or Mullins who were just good players.

humpo
16-08-2004, 01:02 PM
First game of the season and you are already slagging him off. Give the boy a break, give everyone a break let the team get a few games under their belt before you comment on their game.

agreed

imilanpalace
16-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Wayne will play for England if his progression continues imo a class above Morrison or Mullins who were just good players. hopefully

nookiebear
16-08-2004, 01:04 PM

So hang on a second, so, just like you suggested with Gray, young Wayne's going to get the hump because a few people on a computer aren't saying he's Pele, as opposed to listening to the people who cheer his name every week and his manager, who plays him from the start every week?

Football, as the old cliche goes, is all about opinions - so not everyone is going to rate him, even though most Palace fans do

I think you'd agree that most Palace fans rate him very highly. I do, I personally think it would be a disaster to lose such a talented young player. he's only 19, he makes mistakes, gives the ball away too much but that will come - and moves like his run and pass for the goal on Sat and against Stoke last season are worth the entry fee alone

I know you know these players, but for god's sake stop being such a shrinking violet and so easily offended every time someone suggests they personally don't rate a player.

Palace are watched by thousands of people every week, and you're telling me Wayne can't learn/handle/whatever any critism from a few (and it is a few) people on a website? What is he? A frightened church mouse? Or a Premiership playing getting better every season?

Your comments also seem to suggest, like you hinted with Gray, that these big grown up men are going to be blubbering into their £10k a week every time someone with probably the footballing skills of Stephen Hawkings has a pop, and the players will immediately want to leave for another club with lovely fans who never have an opinion unless it's one big old love in?

Doesn't happen. Wayne should feel lucky, he gives away the ball and misplaces crosses much more than other players who get loads more stick

Jim Cannons Moustache
I know every one is entitled to their own opinion but some of you really p me off!!!!

I know how you feel.

Friskey
Wayne will play for England if his progression continues imo a class above Morrison or Mullins who were just good players.

Agreed Wayne should eventually play for England. He is the most exciting player we have had since Magic Matt.

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 01:06 PM
hopefully

Hopefully agree but coming back to the original arquement of course we would take 7million if we were offered that for Wayne.

CPFC987
16-08-2004, 01:07 PM
As ID said hes young and yes he did have poor games last season, but thats how he's going to learn from the mistakes he makes etc.

nookiebear
16-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Wayne has the world at his feet and could play for England IMHO, but no-one would pay £7m for him right now, he's virtually untried at this level.

nookiebear
16-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by CPFC987
As ID said hes young and yes he did have poor games last season, but thats how he's going to learn from the mistakes he makes etc.

Everyone can learn from critism as long as it's constructive

eagle mart
16-08-2004, 01:08 PM
The only thing wrong with Waynes game on saturday was maybe not releasing the ball at the right time and some his defensive duties were lacking and that's being overly critical.

The kid is 19 has played one Premiership game, in which he got an assist and caused the opposition all sorts of problems. He is one of our most talented products who will play at the highest level - with or without a Palace shirt on.

Get off his back - he'll be instumental in us retaining our premiership status. He's on a steep learning curve - with the rest of the team but he'll be in most fantasy football teams throughout the country this time next year.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 01:09 PM
hopefully

Almost an optimistic comment there imilan :confused:

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
The only thing wrong with Waynes game on saturday was maybe not releasing the ball at the right time and some his defensive duties were lacking and that's being overly critical.

The kid is 19 has played one Premiership game, in which he got an assist and caused the opposition all sorts of problems. He is one of our most talented products who will play at the highest level - with or without a Palace shirt on.

Get off his back - he'll be instumental in us retaining our premiership status. He's on a steep learning curve - with the rest of the team, he'll be in most fantasy football teams throughout the country this time next year.

Vast majority not on his back. Most of us love him.

Whitney
16-08-2004, 01:11 PM
This says it all -someone can watch the match and still see nothing!
I suggest you take the blinkers off for the next match!

So what exactly did Wayne do in the game (apart from create the goal as I;ve mentioned)?

eaglei_uk
16-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Wayne is pure class sometimes which at 19 makes up for a lot in my book.

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 01:15 PM
So what exactly did Wayne do in the game (apart from create the goal as I;ve mentioned)?

That will do for me Whitney If he scores or creates the winner on Saturday I will say the same again .I thought you were a fan of his actually?

It wasn't me!
16-08-2004, 01:17 PM
So hang on a second, so, just like you suggested with Gray, young Wayne's going to get the hump because a few people on a computer aren't saying he's Pele, as opposed to listening to the people who cheer his name every week and his manager, who plays him from the start every week?

Football, as the old cliche goes, is all about opinions - so not everyone is going to rate him, even though most Palace fans do

I think you'd agree that most Palace fans rate him very highly. I do, I personally think it would be a disaster to lose such a talented young player. he's only 19, he makes mistakes, gives the ball away too much but that will come - and moves like his run and pass for the goal on Sat and against Stoke last season are worth the entry fee alone

I know you know these players, but for god's sake stop being such a shrinking violet and so easily offended every time someone suggests they personally don't rate a player.

Palace are watched by thousands of people every week, and you're telling me Wayne can't learn/handle/whatever any critism from a few (and it is a few) people on a website? What is he? A frightened church mouse? Or a Premiership playing getting better every season?

Your comments also seem to suggest, like you hinted with Gray, that these big grown up men are going to be blubbering into their £10k a week every time someone with probably the footballing skills of Stephen Hawkings has a pop, and the players will immediately want to leave for another club with lovely fans who never have an opinion unless it's one big old love in?

Doesn't happen. Wayne should feel lucky, he gives away the ball and misplaces crosses much more than other players who get loads more stick

Of course it can upset a player, it would upset me if i read emails from my boss to someone else complaining about my work. If nothing upsets you then good on you, but most people to take things to heart.

I said in the beginning that your entitled to your opinion but i think it's too early to start slagging players off.

As for them crying into their £10k a week, that is so funny. This is palace we are talking about. Wayne is very far of that.

limited_edition
16-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Even Chorlton and the Wheelies Pathetic are bigger than Spuz. Wayney won't be going to WHL.

Dobbo
16-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Dave

Was Thierry Henry the makeweight Dave ?

Whitney
16-08-2004, 01:21 PM
That will do for me Whitney If he scores or creates the winner on Saturday I will say the same again .I thought you were a fan of his actually?

ANDYEAGLE you'll have to read my earlier post and the reply of Friskey - I said I didn't see Wayne do anything in the game apart from create the goal - which, alone, could be argued is enough to justify Wayne's starting position in the team - Friskey said that it was amazing how someone can watch the game and still see nothing - I was asking what in Friskey's opinion had I missed?

cooper83
16-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Man, what a depressing read these last few pages have been! People moan on about lack of quality and then, almost at the first attempt, seem to have this insatiable need to shoot down one of our most promising talents who, incidentally, is 19 YEARS OLD!!! I mean what do people want? Rooney? If so then bugger off and support someone else. Yes Wayne makes mistakes. Yes his crossing/end product can be lacking. But this guy is an incredibly talented footballer who, at a very young age, played a key role in our promotion season and who has already chipped in with a few goals and many a telling contribution in his short career at Palace.

I also think that certain people on here don't recognise the importance of having him in the team, even when he's not having a great game. His mere presence does make defenders nervous and often forces opposition players to be more reserved in what they do (see Mullins in the play off final and Bentley on Sat). Also, all the reports from the game that i've read on Norwich sites pick out Wayne as a class player. Opposition fans rate him highly - i remember after both the Spurs and Villa cup games last season friends of mine who support those teams both picked him out as a player they would love to have. Its a shame some of our own fans can't appreciate him.

Yes, maybe a stint on the bench from time to time would be good but, in case some of you forgot, we are Crystal Palace and we don't have the luxury of being able to stick are better players on the bench. We have a great player in Wayne and one who, especially under Dowie, has the potential to develop into an international standard player. So why don't we rejoice in the fact that we have him rather than make him feel isolated at such a young age. Have we inherited a bunch of ex Spurs fans of something? Those of you laying into him don't deserve to have him and I for one couldn't blame him if decided to go elsewhere because of it. I only hope that the idiotic vitriolic minority don't harm our chances of keeping him.

ANDYEAGLE
16-08-2004, 01:25 PM
ANDYEAGLE you'll have to read my earlier post and the reply of Friskey - I said I didn't see Wayne do anything in the game apart from create the goal - which, alone, could be argued is enough to justify Wayne's starting position in the team - Friskey said that it was amazing how someone can watch the game and still see nothing - I was asking what in Friskey's opinion had I missed?

Ok mate cant be bothered to go back but I think what this thread was originally about was the rumour of Waynes possible transfer. Whether we would take 7 million .No prob though.

Whitney
16-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Saying he had a bad game isn't slagging him off

It wasn't me!
16-08-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm not gonna quote you Cooper83 too much to put in. But i just have to say it's one of the most sensible posts i've read so far.

cooper83
16-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Saying he had a bad game isn't slagging him off

Come on, we all know there's nothing wrong with saying that someone had a bad game. But some of the posts on this thread have gone beyond that and have been extremely harsh. I get the feeling that some people here just like to go completely over the top, just to get their posts some attention. Either that or their football knowledge is piss poor.

bo04991
16-08-2004, 01:36 PM
The origin of the thread was the rumour of a move. Its now turned into a Wayne bashin session, although views seem to be split 50-50.

For the record, Wayne is one of our best players and does enough by far to warrant a place in our side week in week out.

Stick with him, he's gonna be a star

stevek
16-08-2004, 01:37 PM
I can't believe this thread.

If everyone of our players had a bad game, every game, but still set up one goal (again, every game) I reckon we'd do quite well.

Daddy Long
16-08-2004, 01:39 PM
One moment of genius - had it been Okocha or Cole that had pulled off that move and pass, Lawrenson and his cronies would have replayed it from 5 different angles and been frothing at the mouth. Wayne will be one of our match winners this season. The nature of his game is such that he will lose the ball from time to time. Who cares. If he sets up a goal per game we can all be happy.

Falco
16-08-2004, 01:45 PM
He surely adds something to our play that we would otherwise be lacking (ie the ability to create a goal). He is not perfect, but if he was he would not be playing for Palace. The strength of some opinions against him shocks me, surely as an important member of the team that took us to the premiership, he deserves some loyalty.

Friskey
16-08-2004, 01:47 PM

Wayne is clearley one of our best players and will create goals in the Premiership. If you think he did nothing else thats your opinin but one I do not think is widely shared.

If he has a so called 'bad game' every week and still sets up a goal I for one will be delighted.

People like you are never happy if we come 11th this year your still be moaning that we should have achieved a top half finish.

Brixton Eagle
16-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by cooper83
Man, what a depressing read these last few pages have been! People moan on about lack of quality and then, almost at the first attempt, seem to have this insatiable need to shoot down one of our most promising talents who, incidentally, is 19 YEARS OLD!!! I mean what do people want? Rooney? If so then bugger off and support someone else. Yes Wayne makes mistakes. Yes his crossing/end product can be lacking. But this guy is an incredibly talented footballer who, at a very young age, played a key role in our promotion season and who has already chipped in with a few goals and many a telling contribution in his short career at Palace.

I also think that certain people on here don't recognise the importance of having him in the team, even when he's not having a great game. His mere presence does make defenders nervous and often forces opposition players to be more reserved in what they do (see Mullins in the play off final and Bentley on Sat). Also, all the reports from the game that i've read on Norwich sites pick out Wayne as a class player. Opposition fans rate him highly - i remember after both the Spurs and Villa cup games last season friends of mine who support those teams both picked him out as a player they would love to have. Its a shame some of our own fans can't appreciate him.

Yes, maybe a stint on the bench from time to time would be good but, in case some of you forgot, we are Crystal Palace and we don't have the luxury of being able to stick are better players on the bench. We have a great player in Wayne and one who, especially under Dowie, has the potential to develop into an international standard player. So why don't we rejoice in the fact that we have him rather than make him feel isolated at such a young age. Have we inherited a bunch of ex Spurs fans of something? Those of you laying into him don't deserve to have him and I for one couldn't blame him if decided to go elsewhere because of it. I only hope that the idiotic vitriolic minority don't harm our chances of keeping him.

Hear hear!

Jim Cannons Moustache
16-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Brixton Eagle
Hear hear!

Hear hear here as well! :p

eaglei_uk
16-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Super, Super Wayne!
Super, Super Wayne!
Super, Super Wayne!
Super Wayne Routledge!

bald-eagle
16-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
...... The nature of his game is such that he will lose the ball from time to time. Who cares. If he sets up a goal per game we can all be happy.

He has to learn when to try these runs/twisty turns etc and when to play the safe/percentage ball. If he gives the ball away against, let's say Chelsea or Arsenal, as often as he did against Norwich, the goal he can create/score won't matter anyway.

I think this is the main area he has to learn quickly if he is to have a good season. Mind you Popovic should, perhaps, sit in on these training sessions too!

johnnytemper
16-08-2004, 02:02 PM
End of the day, while Wayne is at Palace, he will be one of the first names on the team sheet - if ID valued Jules as highly as he made out last season, then he surely estimates Wayne in the same bracket or higher...he isn't a Giggs, or a Rooney, but is a very good player who will get even better...as for being an England regular, think that is debatable, but if he can progress in the same way that the similar Wright-Philips has (who has just made the England squad) then there is no reason why not...

however, Routledge does have weaknesses, particularly on crossing, which are holding him back, and I was disappointed that he took so many set pieces - during a match isn't the time you should be trying to perfect your outswinging cross, especially as there are other members of the team [such Granville, but would like to see Kolkka, or Hughes or even Boyce, who managed to get his foot round a few as far as I remember] can put in a ball that beats the first man.

There are other problems, he does run down blind-alleys, fails to release the ball at the right time, does lose the ball - but that is part of being a young player, specifically a winger who DOES possess the skills that probably allow him to think he can dribble round four players then set-up a goal - hey, he probably CAN do that, but not every time, and as he learns his trade he will learn when to try and when the simply option is best...or as in the case of the goal, take it past two defenders then play the simple killer ball...perfect! [AJ still had plenty to do though...]

nookiebear
16-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Of course it can upset a player, it would upset me if i read emails from my boss to someone else complaining about my work. If nothing upsets you then good on you, but most people to take things to heart.

I said in the beginning that your entitled to your opinion but i think it's too early to start slagging players off.

As for them crying into their £10k a week, that is so funny. This is palace we are talking about. Wayne is very far of that.

That's the point, Wayne's a fooballer, in the public eye - also, his boss isn't the one slagging him off, is it? WHo should Wayne beleive? Dowie, the fans who rate him? The fans who slag him off (and come on, let's face it - there's hardly any of them at Palace)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of him

Some will slag him off, others don't. I don't slag off many players

I don't have a pop at him, as I think he's an amazing talent destined for great things - but he'll have t get used to the odd person slagging him off, all players get it at some time in their career

Batsta
16-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Wayne Is Important to the side. Although I don't think he should be the one taking corners.

bo04991
16-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Quality Avatar

wrinklereeves
16-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I hope WR is reading some of this,he'd be pissing his pants!

wrinklereeves
16-08-2004, 02:16 PM
I hope WR is reading some of this,he'd be pissing his pants! :D

Freddy Kurz
16-08-2004, 02:55 PM
:D

Why are Palace fans so keen to play Fantasy
Football with one of our best players? Why,
as soon as we begin our fight to stay in the
most competitive League in the world, start-
ing as we do with so many built-in disadvan-
tages, do people seem to want to weaken
our team and break up the spirit which,
together with Dowie's leadership enabled us,
against all the odds to achieve promotion?
Such things are not easy to achieve, and
just one injudicious transfer at this early
stage in our first season back can wreck
all that has been built. Look at what
happened in our first game against Norwich
on Saturday. With only 15 minutes to
go and Palace a goal down, it was vital we
hit back. Who provided the magic?
Wayne, a player with a vital promotion
season of experience behind him, who as
he so often did last term decided to run
at the Norwich defence, slip a through ball
forward to an anticipating AJ, who provided
the kind of brilliant finishing touch he had
also perfected in our promotion run-in.
This kind of understanding takes time to
develop and cannot be achieved by selling
our most talented and gifted players.
It is quite possible that Jordan WOULD
consider selling Wayne for £7m or
something like it, but such a bid is highly
unlikely at this stage in his Premiership
career with him still having so much to
learn and to prove. Meanwhile lets
stop the speculation and enjoy seeing
this talented young player for as long
as we can performing in a Palace shirt.
In any case there is no guarantee
a big fee for Routledge would mean it
would be spent on buying new players.
Also Jordan has been dangling big fees
all over the place, but it hasn't led to
a queue of top-class players deman
-ding to play for Crystal Palace!

bo04991
16-08-2004, 02:59 PM
After further grilling of the person who old me this viscious rumour, the deal is apparently 1 mil plus Rohan Ricketts and Spurs officials were in talks today.

Still think is bollocks

davematt
16-08-2004, 03:15 PM
After further grilling of the person who old me this viscious rumour, the deal is apparently 1 mil plus Rohan Ricketts and Spurs officials were in talks today.

Still think is bollocks

It aint going to happen. Wayne is going nowhere. Do you think ID & SJ are stupid enough to sell our best player. Plus, it should be £5-7million + Ricketts, not £1million

Beanie
16-08-2004, 03:52 PM
.....the deal is apparently 1 mil plus Rohan Ricketts and Spurs officials were in talks today.
I expect Spurs officials would be in talks about that one - trying to work out how on earth they could sell a cr@p deal like that to Bob Dowie, never mind his kid brother!!

Martin H
16-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Well - against my better judgement I have read through the whole lot again and my view is 50% b*****ks, 40% misunderstanding points that have been made and ranting off about a pet view and 10% intelligent and thoughtful postings.

Now for those recognising themselves as in the 50% - I desperately hope you won't be so offended that you feel it essential to go and support another team now you have been criticised - NOT! Give me a break.

For those of you in the 40% - I think when reading the posts it is worthwhile trying to understand the underlying point that was intended rather than nitpicking the words - I, for one, don't expect that you spend hours honing the english and grammar that you employ before pressing the 'submit' button. If you do - you are an a*** and its not working!

For those of US in the 10% well I think we are all jolly good chaps and we deserve a beer. And so I am going to have one - now. I need one after reading that!

Peace and goodwill and we all love Wayne.

:) :) :love: :love: :) :)

Beanie
16-08-2004, 09:54 PM
JK is better, he beats his man crosses to our players or passes and runs he creates more that WR and has far more pase
Eh - quite possible. He's nine years older, played in the Champions League for a number of seasons and has fifty odd caps for his country. Thierry Henry is better than Wayne as well - what's your point? That he isn't the worlds (or even the Premierships) greatest footballer?

Beanie
16-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Sounds remarkably like the contribution that Matt Le Tissier used to amke for Southampton!! Give him time.

917L
17-08-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by davematt
It aint going to happen. Wayne is going nowhere. Do you think ID & SJ are stupid enough to sell our best player. Plus, it should be £5-7million + Ricketts, not £1million

Back to the original point of the thread then!

This DM is possibly one of the strangest posts on the BBS.

You think Wayne is our best player?

5-7 mil plus another player?

I doubt we'd get 2 mil as I stated long ago, and I cant see he's achieved anything to justify a price tag in excess of that, the concept that he is our best player is laughable, though he could be considered our most skilfull.
For comparison, Sasc Curcic is the most skilfull player I have ever seen in Palace shirt, that howver does not make him the best player(even in the side he played in), for sheer enjoyment to watch he was pretty unparalelled when on form, but his total contribution to the team never amounted to the sum of his talents.
I also find it amazing when people post perfectly reasonable criticism of a player, only to be accused of 'slagging' the player off. Because people dont always conform to the majority view doesnt makle them ill informed or bad fans.
If you want to read some unjust and biased slagging of players I suggest you look at the Derry thread or anything posted by Oz Eagle on Aki .

cpfc_spc1982
17-08-2004, 06:52 AM

good one.

Beanie
17-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Sorry - didn't mean to post!!:sob:

Daddy Long
17-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Apology not accepted ;)

jazman
17-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Come on guys, this is the silly season. If Spurs want to pay £7m then I say take it. We could buy 3-4 players for that kind of money, maybe more. Don't get me wrong I would rather we kept Wayne so that we can see him and benefir from him fulfilling his potential but that is stupid money. Maybe that will get Chelski interested. It's a team game after all and that is Dowie's method! Who are we to criticise anything he does this season.

Beanie
17-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
Apology not accepted ;)
Oh - please won't do it again!!:D

It's really annoying - my computer at work won't let me delete a post if I do something daft. Any bright spark know why that might be?

Jim Cannon
17-08-2004, 10:10 AM
I do not believe a word of this.

rednblueblood
17-08-2004, 06:15 PM
i Think we might have to cash in on wayne as he wants to go and play with his mate gray at birmingham.

Jay_Palace
17-08-2004, 06:19 PM
I don't see the point of this thread, it's possibly the biggest load of bollocks I have read on here.

c_block_lad
17-08-2004, 06:20 PM
It aint gonna happen, but if Wayne was sold for anything than less than £4M, there would be riots in the streets of South Norwood...

Chris Finch
17-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Calm Down Dear its only the BBS

Selhurst300
17-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
It aint gonna happen, but if Wayne was sold for anything than less than £4M, there would be riots in the streets of South Norwood...

..... and Tripoli?

RDSdaEAGLE
17-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst300
..... and Tripoli?

......and Oxted! :o

Freddy Kurz
17-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jazman
Come on guys, this is the silly season. If Spurs want to pay £7m then I say take it. We could buy 3-4 players for that kind of money, maybe more. Don't get me wrong I would rather we kept Wayne so that we can see him and benefir from him fulfilling his potential but that is stupid money. Maybe that will get Chelski interested. It's a team game after all and that is Dowie's method! Who are we to criticise anything he does this season.

'Spurs haven't got £7m to spend on any player,
let alone Wayne. Didn't they choke on the
£5m Joe Kinnear asked for Read of Forest? It
won't happen so calm down everybody!

Kirby
17-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad

Oooooooh just imagine it. It'd be the end of the world!!!

Jasper
17-08-2004, 11:37 PM
If I were Wayne Routledge I would call a press conference tommorow to annouce that I have signed a 15 year contract with palace tommorow then urinate on a man united shirt in front of all the cameras. but thats just me.

Young Trolley
18-08-2004, 07:57 AM
I think this particular rumour is bollox however I am concerned about the apparent lack of new contract offer from Palace for Wayne and the mumourings about his wanting to join his buddy up at brum

cpfcben
18-08-2004, 05:02 PM
sign an new contract

bo04991
21-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Told you lot, wayne the man, yet another assist!!

Whitney
23-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I wasn't that impressed with Wayne's overall game against Norwich (the assist was very good though)

However against Everton Wayne was my MOM