Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Marvellous Fayre! So Alan was right :p

Trilby
Welcome Vasilis

RDSdaEAGLE
"Crystal Palace have signed 28 year old Greece International VASILIS LAKIS on a one year deal. Further details on www.cpfc.co.uk"

Nothing on the site yet, but it'll be there soon.

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 05:00 PM
He was the other midfielder called Vasilis from AEK Athens who was in the Greek Euro squad (as opposed to Tsiartas)

Kirby
29-09-2004, 05:02 PM
:)

RDSdaEAGLE
29-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Vasilis Lakis vs. Stelios Giannakopoulos

Posted: September 28, 2002 at 10:27 AM EST (15:27 PM GMT)

by The2ndMouse

Two of the greatest Greek teams Olympiakos and AEK trust their right wing to the two lads who share the same spot in the Hellenic National Team. Namely, Stelios Giannakopoulos and Vasilis Lakis. Football has definitely changed a lot. It is no more "you play right, you play left" by the coach. Nowadays each team's game is built around the individual skills of the players used. Therefore, making an effort to compare the two players styles and abilities can offer the grounds for a good discussion, if not for their teams, then certainly for the NT spot they contend for. Allow me to try and break down those ingredients which make up the complete player image on the pitch. Allow me to weight the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two internationals before I move into a comprehensive final opinion.

Acceleration: Vasilis seems to have a marginal lead over Stelios here. Acceleration, as a reaction, is made up mostly of the pure physical ability to have an explosive start and the ability to read the game effectively. While Giannakopoulos connects better with the surrounding action, Lakis makes up in pure skill.

Pace: God gifted both of them with the ability to be quite fast. Again, Vasilis seem to have the edge.

Short Passing: While Lakis is quite good at it, Stelios is excellent. And his fighting spirit makes this ability surface even better no matter how close he is being marked.

Long Passing / Crossing: Unfortunately, they both need to improve more in this area. They play in a position where irrespective of the style of play the team uses, good long balls and good crosses are essential. But they both have poor statistics and can easily turn a break by their team to a danger for their defense.

Running With the Ball: Lakis might be one of the best players Greece has to show in this area for years. Giannakopoulos is good when he changes direction or rotates to lose the opponent, but Lakis is simply the better man when it comes to keeping the ball at high speed and even leaving fast opponents behind.

Off the Ball: Stelios wins this one easily. His mobility in the pitch and the good positioning also explains his ability to score regularly when used by Takis Lemonis. Vasilis, on the other hand, is good too, but not at the same level.

Shooting / Finishing: Although Vasilis takes advantage of his speed to bring himself into good scoring positions he usually fails to convert them to goals. He is more comfortable with technical shots rather than direct shots to the goal, and for some strange reason he goes for the shot rather than the lobe! Statistics speak for Stelios, and they look really good when it comes to finishing. Sometimes a pure striker could not do better.

Heading: Giannakopoulos is better than Lakis, but both of them have a less than average performance in their high game. The better positioning of the shorter man (Stelios) is enough to win him this contest.

Tackling: Not one of their primary tasks, but an important ability in modern football. Again, the two wingers fail to show any impressive stats, with Giannakopoulos being the better of the two. Why? See the next part?

Determination: I believe that this is the quality that offers Giannakopoulos what speed offers to Lakis. This, and his fighting spirit is what makes Stelios a good player and covers for any of his shortcomings. Lakis is a pretty determined lad also. His face emits the tranquility of his character but he is fighting hard in his own way. Just a look at Stelios' eyes during the fight is enough to understand who is more convincing.

Teamwork: Lakis is fast and good at what he is doing and has taken the correct approach to his role when pieced together with those of his teammates. He will be rarely accused for individualism. Giannakopoulos may be good in all the separate ingredients that would make him the perfect team player but he tends to believe the world revolves around him too often. Vasilis definitely deserves to win this category.

Versatility: I will give this one to Stelios with not much thought. Both lads can undertake defensive duties quite effectively when asked to, despite their attacking nature. They will not go for any man of the match awards, but they will get the job done. However, Giannakopoulos can easily switch sides and have a very good left side game. He can also move to the middle where the aforementioned poor team play may cost him some points. Lakis can move into other positions less effectively.

Flair and Creativity: Both of them use different skills to reach to approximately the same result. They are good and creative players who could use a "flair injection". World class defenders should be able to deal with their inspirations most of the times, but not all teams have world class defenders.

Stamina: Both are more than good at staying fit and keeping their pace throughout the game. A precious ability for any hard working winger.

Injury Proneness: No serious problems ever plagued any part of their professional careers. They seem to be strong lads and even when injured they managed to recover fast without any follow up injuries that would uncover any particular body weaknesses.

After the long, yet necessary, analysis, I feel ready to say that in my opinion Stelios Giannakopoulos can be considered as the better player. I did not use any weird grading system in the categories above to reach to this conclusion. I believe that Lakis is more talented than Giannakopoulos. But talent can get you up to a certain point. Hard work and determination will keep you there and push you forward. And Stelios is full of fighting spirit. I believe that the man from the big port is rightfully the occupant of the place in the National Team where Lakis serves as a useful substitute. Here I want to say that having these two players at this position allows the NT coach to switch playing styles with just one substitution. Always a good option to have! One thing that Lakis has and Giannakopoulos is missing is good guidance by his coach! Let us see if Mr. Bajevic can push Lakis to a better overall game. Giannakopoulos is not doing bad under Lemonis either, but does he improve? Would he be able to make any finishing touches to his game under the guidance of a more experienced manager? I am sure that Mr. Rehhagel cannot help as much as he should due to the little time he spends with his players.

This is a pass to the team scouts.

Pass it on.

JamieBcpfc
29-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Suprising, is he a european championship winner then. Is he a right or left winger

RDSdaEAGLE
29-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Right winger by the looks of things.

Bounce back
29-09-2004, 05:07 PM
welcome VASILIS LAKIS to the palace

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Some competition for Wayne at last, it seems.

Gazz
29-09-2004, 05:15 PM
just been mentioned on ssn too :D

Twiggy
29-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Plan B for when he goes to tottenham perhaps...:(

kolinkins
29-09-2004, 05:17 PM
He can play on either wing or in the centre. godd signing.

mrdance88
29-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Great news! :)

Competetion for places at last, yay!

AJ
29-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Hard to bear bad news, but, from the report we have signed a speedy winger, who really doesn't shoot or tackle back much!

Typical Palace
29-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by RDSdaEAGLE
for some strange reason he goes for the shot rather than the lobe!
Good to know we haven't signed a Greek ear fetishist

CPFC987
29-09-2004, 05:25 PM
So.... Petit. still coming or not?

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Shouldn't affect it in my opinion - we'll still be in for him, whether it goes through is another matter.

chav_hater
29-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Heres hoping

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 05:29 PM
This 'Piper' Chap

He is constantly quoted on here from the HoL - isn't he rather discredited by the fact he said we were in for Tsiartas when in fact it was Lakis?

Lion
29-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Good player - good news.

chav_hater
29-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Now on official site

Stigma
29-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Sounds good..:)
We need some more quality in midfield.

hernehilleagle
29-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Good news

Batsta
29-09-2004, 05:34 PM
All we need now Is 3 points before the International break :)

ed winchester
29-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Great news! This is surely a fanfare for the common man as we now have Emmerson and Lakis at Palace.

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 05:40 PM
I've just heard we're bringing Carlton Palmer out of retirement...

Shipp Ahoy!
29-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Twiggy
Plan B for when he goes to tottenham perhaps...:(

I think we all need to accept it now, Wayne is off, it will either be Christmas or summer. Dont know if it will be Tottenham but I do know he will be off.

The sooner we come to terms with that the better.

nicebutdim
29-09-2004, 05:44 PM
No need for Carlton, rumour has it that Jordan is a bit of "palmer" too, so we've already got the set!!

Lion
29-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
I think we all need to accept it now, Wayne is off, it will either be Christmas or summer. Dont know if it will be Tottenham but I do know he will be off.

The sooner we come to terms with that the better.

Because we signed someone that plays in the same possition as him?

Bejesus! Some people..

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Don't see why bringing in a second man in a position (which is supposed to be our strategy, 2 men to a shirt) confirms Wayne is off. It's a possibility of course, but far from a certainty.

BLUE BOY
29-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Well lets just hope he settles in quickly, and can start to produce the goods asap.

BaldEagle96
29-09-2004, 06:02 PM
I am stunned. Well done Palace..

Shipp Ahoy!
29-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Lion

Bejesus! Some people..

You obviously haven't read any of my other posts, which I incidently did post before I found out we signed this Greek guy.

I firmly believe Wayne will be off no matter what, and although I am sure Dowie hopes he can still get Wayne to sign and even if he believes he can. I am sure Dowie is not intending this guy to be a replacement for Wayne that his signing is meant to complement the squad. I still don't believe we will keep him and that is the reasoning behind my post.

c_block_lad
29-09-2004, 06:09 PM
He is good on Champ.

:rolleyes: :D :p

Eagle Andy
29-09-2004, 06:12 PM
If this spells danger for anyone being off it is Tommy Black. A shame as I rated Tommy, thought he gave 100%, created chances, looked dangerous and scored goals.

Think this will provide competiton for Wayne which might be what he needs. Also, it will give Wayne a rest as he is only 19 and plays a lot of games, including internationals now. That's a lot to ask a 19 year old in the premiership to be consistent and play every game. (but I don't want Wayne rested as he is in my fantasy team! (and I'm in top 5 Palace fans!))

Good to see we are still scouting round for players. it gives the players a lift when results are going bad. Still think we need some quality in the centre of the pitch, hope we still sign Petit. Then we would have a world cup winner and a euro winner in one week.

Shipp Ahoy!
29-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Jees, people.

Will you listen to me for one second! I AM NOT implying that this signing is to replace or means that Wayne will be off. What I AM saying in responce to the suggestion that he might be a useful player to cover Waynes position should he go is that I think he WILL and that we might as well get used to the idea.

Ollie Ox
29-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Lion

Bejesus! Some people..

Also because he hasn't signed a contract, he has less than a year on his current one and Spurs have already made an approach for him which he is aware of and although i don't know Wayne at all i get the impression that he is quite ambitious.

Windom Earle
29-09-2004, 06:34 PM
According to euro 2004 website it's Vassilios Lakis...right midfield.. played 2 matches as sub in euro 2004 (45mins worth)

Though greek official website says Basilios Lakis...that or he's not in the squad anymore. LOL.

The Greek God is here...who cares what his name is.

Super Eagles
29-09-2004, 06:35 PM
again, I don't blame the lad if he leaves... we allowed him to get to this position, i.e. we took a gamble and yet again its gone bang in our face...

bye bye wayne.. enjoy spurs!..

Although I must admit, i'm not overly bothered, he's too small for the premiership, and a bit of a glory boy.

Richwak
29-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Brilliant... Best News in ages.. will change our team for the better!!! Well In!!!!

ANDYEAGLE
29-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Bit small like Shaun Wright Phillips and Germaine Defoe you mean not bad players eh?

Trist
29-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Sounds like a good buy on a free! Looking forward to seeing him bombing it down the right wing.

I love the fact that Dowie's assembling a squad with such natural pace. Kolkka down the left, Lakis down the right and AJ up front. Even top defender are gonna be worried when seeing he's up against 3 players all with blistering pace.

Pace is so important in the Prem, and it means we'll always give teams problems on the counter attack.

As he's a free agent do you recon he'll be available for the squad against Fulham on Monday?

paulhgc2002
29-09-2004, 06:50 PM
http://www.aekfc.gr/images/podosfairistes/ACF8D4.jpg

Gooders
29-09-2004, 06:53 PM
:cool:

Shipp Ahoy!
29-09-2004, 07:08 PM
So do people think he will or even he deserves to start on Monday?

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 07:14 PM
He'll be on the bench. No chance of being rushed into the first 11.

AJ
29-09-2004, 07:16 PM

Surely that depends on how fit he it and when he last played a competitive game.
Personally, I don't think he should start.

ANDYEAGLE
29-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
He'll be on the bench. No chance of being rushed into the first 11.

I agree I think he will be on the bench that's if the International clearance is completed ok. The bench is certainly getting better, see if we can get the pony tailed one on it as well and I will be happy.

Gooders
29-09-2004, 07:24 PM

Here's the announcement:

Palace snap up Lakis

Lakis was part of Greece's triumphant Euro 2004 team
Crystal Palace have signed Greece midfielder Vassilios Lakis.
The 28-year-old international has joined Palace as a free agent on a one-year deal having previously played for AEK Athens.

"We are delighted to sign a player of Vassilios' quality," Palace manager Iain Dowie told the club's website.

"Subject to international clearance Lakis will go straight into the squad for Monday's game against Fulham," added Dowie.

Lakis was a member of his country's victorious Euro 2004 squad, making two substitute appearances at the finals in Portugal.

The midfielder scored 37 goals in 149 appearances for AEK Athens.

So, according to Dowie, he will be in the squad if we get clearance.

Impressive goal record for a midfielder!

ANDYEAGLE
29-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Very Impressive goal scoring record actually Gooders at a good club as well.

exiledeagle
29-09-2004, 07:39 PM
I hope he is a good but for us - but i am being honest in that ive never heard of him . We had numerous threads on Speroni , Kolkka , Torghelle , etc on what world class players they are - but yet again i had not heard of them and none have settled as yet . Maybe i just wish wish we had bought solid UK players at least until we had survived 1 season .

eaglei_uk
29-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Good to see that Palace kept the negotiations with him very quiet.

Ruskin Old Boy
29-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Good news; does this deal kill the likelihood of Petit joining Palace?

Super Eagles
29-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by ANDYEAGLE
Bit small like Shaun Wright Phillips and Germaine Defoe you mean not bad players eh?

If you think wayne routledge is in the same class as these two.. then I give up..

Read all the posts in relation to everyone slating wayne for being too greedy, for holding onto the ball too long, too light, and all the other stuff we fans seem to be good at..

i've been to watch spurs and wayne is no better than what they have already got, Rohan ricketts is identical to wayne and he was quickly found out in the premiership..

wayne will be a squad player at spurs but thats it.. no more than that i'm afraid

ANDYEAGLE
29-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

Hope not Ruskin, they are different types of players. Lets hope we can get something sorted out contract wise for Petit as well.

ANDYEAGLE
29-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Super Eagles
If you think wayne routledge is in the same class as these two.. then I give up..

Read all the posts in relation to everyone slating wayne for being too greedy, for holding onto the ball too long, too light, and all the other stuff we fans seem to be good at..

i've been to watch spurs and wayne is no better than what they have already got, Rohan ricketts is identical to wayne and he was quickly found out in the premiership..

wayne will be a squad player at spurs but thats it.. no more than that i'm afraid

Where did I say Wayne was better than Defoe or Wright Phillips?. but he has potential to be as good as Wright Phillips. In your quote you said Wayne was too small for the Premiership which of course is rubbish.
I just gave you examples of two top players similar statue to Wayne that are quality.

PalacePorky 4
29-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

Not yet.

A very good signing.

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 08:26 PM
I continue to be astonished by how some people have decided Wayne is cr*p after 3 rather poor games on the trot. He is one of the most talented young players in the country and we should feel pretty blessed to have him. Of course, the fact that so many threads degenerate into "how good is Wayne?/is he leaving?" is probably a sign of how much people really value him.

eaglei_uk
29-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Interesting profile on him from Sky Sport Euro 2004 pages...

Our Rating
Your Rating
7.1 *

* Our rating is the average rating we give each player for his performences during Euro 2004. Your rating is based on the average of the ratings you send in after each match
Speedy winger whose pace could unsettle opposition defenders in this summer's finals.

Lakis started his career with Second Division Naoussa and helped them win promotion in 1993 - his first season.

Despite immediate relegation, he stayed at the club until 1995 when he joined top-flight Paniliakos.

He scored seven goals in 69 Etniki Katigoria appearances for the Athens club before moving across the city to AEK in 1998, just after he had appeared in the final of the European Under-21 Championship.

Lakis has been a regular in the AEK line-up for the past six seasons, collecting Cup winners' medals in 2000 and 2002.

His goalscoring exploits have improved in recent times, having netted a career-best 12 League goals last season, he has notched nine this term despite missing the start of the season with a collarbone injury.

Lakis made his international debut as a sub in August 1999 against El Salvador and made four appearances, all as a replacement, in qualifying for the 2002 World Cup.

He made just three appearances in qualifying for Euro 2004, starting both games against Ukraine and appearing as a first-half sub during the famous victory in Spain.

Lakis has appeared in all four friendlies since qualification was secure but again three of those have come as a replacement and he is likely to be restricted to cameo appearances in Portugal.

PalacePorky 4
29-09-2004, 08:55 PM
I continue to be astonished by how some people have decided Wayne is cr*p after 3 rather poor games on the trot. He is one of the most talented young players in the country and we should feel pretty blessed to have him. Of course, the fact that so many threads degenerate into "how good is Wayne?/is he leaving?" is probably a sign of how much people really value him.

Agree.

We must strive to keep Wayne. Great potential and still, only a kid.
The people who knock him amaze me.

Oxford Eagle
29-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Wait a minute; you mean we have signed a player for a position we *already have one player in*? They must be straight for the chop.

<sigh>

mojoeagle
29-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Good news, i'm off to smash some plates!

JannerEagle
29-09-2004, 09:32 PM
"despite missing the start of the season with a collarbone injury".... Clinton??

limited_edition
29-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by exiledeagle
Maybe i just wish wish we had bought solid UK players at least until we had survived 1 season . We can't afford them. They cost a bomb.

DocSavage
29-09-2004, 09:45 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/crystal_palace/3702198.stm
Palace snap up Lakis

Lakis was part of Greece's triumphant Euro 2004 team
Crystal Palace have signed Greece midfielder Vassilios Lakis.
The 28-year-old international has joined Palace as a free agent on a one-year deal having previously played for AEK Athens.

"We are delighted to sign a player of Vassilios' quality," Palace manager Iain Dowie told the club's website.

"Subject to international clearance Lakis will go straight into the squad for Monday's game against Fulham," added Dowie.

Lakis was a member of his country's victorious Euro 2004 squad, making two substitute appearances at the finals in Portugal.

The midfielder scored 37 goals in 149 appearances for AEK Athens.

Ollie Ox
29-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Already a thread on this.

At last, i've wanted to do that for so long.

SpikeyMatt
29-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Sounds like a good signing.

Now in the Premiership, apart from Bolton, who else can boast having a Euro 2004 winner......YAHOO!

lauren_of_hove
29-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing him :)

DocSavage
29-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Ollie Ox
Already a thread on this.

At last, i've wanted to do that for so long.

Yes but that's in the rumour mill this is main street CPFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but hey glad you're happy so am I now and enthused about Monday night

selhurstparkflyer
29-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Is he any good on Championship Manager?

Richie
29-09-2004, 09:55 PM
"despite missing the start of the season with a collarbone injury".... Clinton??

What's wrong with Clinton........

I'll get my coat ;)

Ollie Ox
29-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by DocSavage
Yes but that's in the rumour mill this is main street CPFC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bugger your right. NOOO my chance for glory has been cruelly snatched from me.
Really looking forward to monday, i think we have a good chance of getting our first win after the improvement at Villa

Thanet Eagle
29-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Rumour has it that Clinton has hurt his shoulder.

Jay_eagle
29-09-2004, 09:58 PM
good signing hope he does well for us

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 10:00 PM
No, it's not a 'rumour mill', anything related to transfers goes into the Transfer Hotline, including confirmed deals.

DocSavage
29-09-2004, 10:04 PM
yes but its done so he's a player now so has moved into the boys own annual

it must be time elapsed otherwise everything would be over there

Ian Hart
29-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Greek player who played on trial against Brentford

I appreciate this was a behind closed doors friendly, Alan, but have you obtained any knowledge of how he peformed that day?

Presumably, well enough to make us want to sign him. Well, at least I hope he did :)

Braders
29-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Sounds good :p now for Petit, well done Iain.

Micky Spilane
29-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Let's hope this isn't a Greek Tragedy, had to say that, but seriously we do need competition for places at the club, it could well bring the best out of Wayne and if not we have another option.

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Breathe deeply and read what i just said - "including confirmed deals". Now, if you want to discuss him after he's played a match - then this forum is the place. But I'm pretty sure it isn't right now :)

NO1FAN
29-09-2004, 10:30 PM
You tell him Sussex :D

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Nothing like a killjoy! Seems a decent signing, though. Probably about on Kolkka's level rather than a Petit though.

Thatch
29-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Breathe deeply and read what i just said - "including confirmed deals". Now, if you want to discuss him after he's played a match - then this forum is the place. But I'm pretty sure it isn't right now :)

I've got to ask - is this for real?

arussell
29-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Marvellous Fayre! So Alan was right :p

But of course, how could you doubt me ? :D

He played in the friendly against Brentford last week as I mentioned before.

Don't have any info on that I'm afraid Ian, since the club arranged it at short notice and didn't tell me until after it'd been played.

Farawayeagle
29-09-2004, 10:56 PM
This 'Piper' Chap

He is constantly quoted on here from the HoL - isn't he rather discredited by the fact he said we were in for Tsiartas when in fact it was Lakis?

Unless we are talking to Tsartas as well. The Lakis deal is probably more connected to him being on trial earlier in the season.

Piper's record is pretty good.

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Thatch
I've got to ask - is this for real?

Which - my pedantic nature or the signing?

Both real, for better and worse.

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Possible, but it seems awfully convenient that we'd be in for two players from the same club with the same first name at the same time.

Gerry from Sussex
29-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by mojoeagle
Good news, i'm off to smash some plates!
Well, I got it even if no-one else did:D :D

JohnA
29-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Kalimera Vasilis.

Thatch
29-09-2004, 11:22 PM
The former - oh well takes all sorts I spose :-)

BTW It is a good signing!!!

Sussex Eagle
29-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Hehe - thread merged I win. Order has prevailed! ;)

paulhgc2002
29-09-2004, 11:30 PM
a greek god comes to the palace :o

RDSdaEAGLE
30-09-2004, 12:17 AM
The UEFA Euro2004 Profile...

Vassilios Lakis started out as a defender and later transferred to the right side of midfield where he can take advantage of his speed to open up gaps down both flanks.

National team
A Greek international who made his debut against El Salvador in 1999, Lakis was previously part of the squad which reached the final of the 1998 UEFA European Under-21 Championship. A more settled first-team slot at AEK Athens FC in 2001/02 helped him become further established in the national side set-up.

UEFA EURO 2004 qualifying
Lakis was something of a lucky charm for Greece in Group 6 - his three appearances yielding victories against Northern Ireland and Spain away and Ukraine in Athens without conceding.

Club
Lakis started out with FAS Naoussa, scoring seven goals in 67 league outings for the club prior to signing for Paniliakos FC midway through their first season in the top flight, 1995/96, after promotion from the second division.

1996: Lakis struck four goals as the club enjoyed a fine campaign the next year, finishing seventh in the Alpha Ethniki. The following term he missed just three games and was generally outstanding to earn a move to AEK in July 1998.

1998: Enjoyed a fine debut season but played only 17 matches in 1999/00, a Greek Cup-winning year. In 2001/02 his improved finishing and touch secured him a consistent place in the lineup, playing 26 times in the league and scoring eight goals. Lakis also played eight UEFA Cup matches, scoring against NK Osijek. Was ever-present in the 2002/03 UEFA Champions League, scoring with a skilful lob against KRC Genk, and missed just three games in the Alpha Ethniki. He was also forced to undergo surgery on his collarbone, ruling him out for seven weeks.

2003/04: Often rose above the mediocrity at AEK and scored ten goals in 23 matches. His winner against Olympiacos CFP came at a crucial time, lifting the club and fans when off-field problems were rife.

Did you know?
In June 2003 Lakis resisted overtures from Olympiacos and Panathinaikos FC to extend his contract.

ABS Avg
Appearances 2
Minutes Played 45
Goals scored - -
Total Shots - -
Assists - -
Offsides - -
Fouls committed - -
Fouls suffered 1 2
Yellow cards - -
Red cards - -

http://www.euro2004.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/Euro2004/Players/189591_MEDIUMSQUARE.jpg

TheCharmer
30-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Good about time Wayne got a kick up the arse!

Trilby
30-09-2004, 01:25 AM
Oxo Wayne?

jolly_jallopee
30-09-2004, 02:42 AM
One year deal ... hmmm ...

Looks like this fellow isn't too keen to follow us down to the first division (should we go down that is). Here's to hoping he'll help us stay up and he'll be staying up with us next season ...

jackslipper
30-09-2004, 03:16 AM
Good deal all round, in on a free till the end of the season. We'll all know a lot more by then

Farawayeagle
30-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by jolly_jallopee
One year deal ... hmmm ...

Looks like this fellow isn't too keen to follow us down to the first division (should we go down that is). Here's to hoping he'll help us stay up and he'll be staying up with us next season ...

--------------------------------------------
Think it's more a case of ID?SJ not wanting to lumber us with and estra wage bill if we do go down. Makes sense. If he plays well is happy and we look like staying up -- we can always renegotiate.

Prometheus
30-09-2004, 04:01 AM
You guys are lucky to have Lakis. I wish he didn't ever leave AEK :veryangry :veryangry , but it's nice to see him playing in the EPL.

http://www.aekfc.gr/images/multimedia/lakis800.jpg

Hard working player who can score too.

Raoul Duke
30-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Welcome to the BBS Prometheus!

Do you have any more info on the guy? Any inforation will be greatly appreciated.

Prometheus
30-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Thank you.

When you first see him you might wonder at his 'looks'. Sort of like Rooney in that he looks sort of....fat. ;) However he has lots of stamina and he is pretty quick. His taclkling is average, but he has a nack for clinical finishing.

Didn't play much in Euro 2004, but it was his run into the box (at full steam) after Zagorakis (another ex-AEK player..Damnit!!!) went around Lizarazu that made the French defender(s) loose sight of Charisteas who headed it in (of course).

His dribbling is adequate, nothing special, but his sense of the game without the ball is what makes him a good player.

Some videos (copy paste in in your media player).

Lakis (AEK) 1-0 vs Leverkusen
==http://www.geocities.com/aekaras2001/leverkoyzen_aek3.mpeg==
**The player who crossed the ball was Tsiartas. Tsiartas also added another goal this match.

Lakis (AEK) 1-0 vs PAOK
==http://www.angelfire.com/ego/aekathens/videos/paok_aek_39_lakis.mpeg==

Lakis' first goal for AEK vs Panathinaikos
==http://www.aek.com/media/98-99/aek_lakis.mpg==

You're lucky to have him. We thought the rumours of him settling back at AEK were true. But of course they weren't.

Now as for Tsiartas, rumours are him signing with Messina. However, should he go to Palace, WOW you're in for a SURPRISE.

The thing about Tsiartas is, he is lazy as hell. He doesn't tackle, he doesn't come back, and he couldn't find his own half with a map, BUT, when he gets the ball, on his left, watch out.

He set up Charisteas' goal against Spain. Delivered the corner for Dellas' goal against the Czechs. Scored the goal which took Greece to Portugal against N.Ireland, and set up Charisteas' goal agains the Ukraine which took Greece top of the group.

A dead ball specialist. Lovely vision, great passing and can score too. BUT, as I said he comes with baggage. He is a dick no doubt. Big problems with AEK's management. Played for Sevilla and made an impact when they were in Spain's 1st division. But ignored advice and retuerned to Greece where his attitude started up again.

His free kick against Madrid in 2002 still rings in my ears. And last year his strike against Depor gave AEK alittle cosolation in a terrible year for us in Europe and Greece.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/news/Kind=1/newsId=36428.html

http://www.uefagames.com/competitions/UCL/FixturesResults/Round=1712/Match=1056801/Report=RW.html

I'm sorry I'm gushing about Tsiartas now but I can't help it. I love him. Most AEK fans either love him or hate him, there's no in between with a guy like Tsiarta.

Anyways, both these guys were stars at AEK, and have much European/Nation Team experience.

Gooders
30-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Many thanks Prometheus, and welcome to the BBS. :p

Gooders
30-09-2004, 06:51 AM
But of course, how could you doubt me ? :D

He played in the friendly against Brentford last week as I mentioned before.

Don't have any info on that I'm afraid Ian, since the club arranged it at short notice and didn't tell me until after it'd been played.

But you said you'd find out for us who the scorers were at least. ;)

imilanpalace
30-09-2004, 07:25 AM
sounds promising

jazman
30-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Good information on Lakis, Prometheus, thank you. We await with baited breath for hopefully his first appearance against Fulham on Monday night. Hopefully he will help us out in the centre of midfield which I think is where we struggle and are short of cover. His ability to play on either wing will be useful as replacements for Routledge and Kolkka. Interesting.

Freddy Kurz
30-09-2004, 07:56 AM
The UEFA Euro2004 Profile...

Vassilios Lakis started out as a defender and later transferred to the right side of midfield where he can take advantage of his speed to open up gaps down both flanks.

National team
A Greek international who made his debut against El Salvador in 1999, Lakis was previously part of the squad which reached the final of the 1998 UEFA European Under-21 Championship. A more settled first-team slot at AEK Athens FC in 2001/02 helped him become further established in the national side set-up.

UEFA EURO 2004 qualifying
Lakis was something of a lucky charm for Greece in Group 6 - his three appearances yielding victories against Northern Ireland and Spain away and Ukraine in Athens without conceding.

Club
Lakis started out with FAS Naoussa, scoring seven goals in 67 league outings for the club prior to signing for Paniliakos FC midway through their first season in the top flight, 1995/96, after promotion from the second division.

1996: Lakis struck four goals as the club enjoyed a fine campaign the next year, finishing seventh in the Alpha Ethniki. The following term he missed just three games and was generally outstanding to earn a move to AEK in July 1998.

1998: Enjoyed a fine debut season but played only 17 matches in 1999/00, a Greek Cup-winning year. In 2001/02 his improved finishing and touch secured him a consistent place in the lineup, playing 26 times in the league and scoring eight goals. Lakis also played eight UEFA Cup matches, scoring against NK Osijek. Was ever-present in the 2002/03 UEFA Champions League, scoring with a skilful lob against KRC Genk, and missed just three games in the Alpha Ethniki. He was also forced to undergo surgery on his collarbone, ruling him out for seven weeks.

2003/04: Often rose above the mediocrity at AEK and scored ten goals in 23 matches. His winner against Olympiacos CFP came at a crucial time, lifting the club and fans when off-field problems were rife.

Did you know?
In June 2003 Lakis resisted overtures from Olympiacos and Panathinaikos FC to extend his contract.

ABS Avg
Appearances 2
Minutes Played 45
Goals scored - -
Total Shots - -
Assists - -
Offsides - -
Fouls committed - -
Fouls suffered 1 2
Yellow cards - -
Red cards - -

http://www.euro2004.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/Euro2004/Players/189591_MEDIUMSQUARE.jpg
Don't wish to be be pedantic RDSdaEAGLE, but
although Lakis DID play in Greece's Euro 2004 wins
in Spain (1-0) and at home v Ukraine (1-0); he
DIDN'T appear for his country v N.Ireland away.
Thought I would this check this up in my "SKY"
2004/5 Yearbook, just in case Hughes played
for N.Ireland in the same game (he didn't).
Hughes did play when N.Ireland lost 0-1 in
Athens, but Lakis missed THAT game. Never-
theless have little doubt that Hughes as a
member of the N.Ireland squad would have
had a run-down on Lakis's qualities, and
may well have been able to mark Dowie's
card prior to our bid.

DaveTuttles
30-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Looks as if Routledge is off in January then. This boy looks the nuts.If we get Tsiartas as well, that would be fantastico

st albans
30-09-2004, 08:04 AM
good signing from what i've been reading, never heard of him before today, but can i please say lets give him a few games to settle in. i can see it now, IF he plays against Fulham, and IF he doesnt do that well, all the doom and gloom merchants will be out in force as they have been for Kolkka, KAviedes, Torghelle, etc etc

I for one welcome him with open arms and hope he can be a good signing over the next year, and hopefully longer! But lets let him settle first and not expect him to change our whole season straightaway

Malakite
30-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Velly niiiiiicce....means we can all start shouting Greek to him now on Matchdays!..queue the OxO's!" :D

Son of Ron
30-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Prometheus
Sort of like Rooney

lets hope so.....

sounds a decent signing to me.....we now almost have the 2+ players per position that Dowie wanted.

GK Kiraly, Speroni
RB Butterfield, Boyce
CB Popovic, Hall, Hudson, Powell, Sorondo
LB Granville, Borrowdale
RM Routledge, Lakis
CM Hughes, Aki, Derry, Watson......Petit ??
LM Kollka, Andrews.....Tsartas ??
CF AJ, Torghelle, Kaviedes, Ventola, Freedman, Shipperley.

sjmac
30-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Looks as if Routledge is off in January then.

It would seem so although i really hope not, Lakis is only on a 1 year deal.

V good signing, well done ID, but please hang on to Wayne.

arussell
30-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Interestingly in one or two reports, it says he has also played on the left.

ANDYEAGLE
30-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Interestingly in one or two reports, it says he has also played on the left.

Can he play left back then? Ex defender. Sorry Danny.
It's good that he can work both flanks sounds very versatile.

DougleMcNori
30-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Prometheus

A dead ball specialist. Lovely vision, great passing and can score too. BUT, as I said he comes with baggage. He is a dick no doubt.

LMFAO!

Welcome to the board!

DougleMcNori
30-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Malakite
Velly niiiiiicce....means we can all start shouting Greek to him now on Matchdays!..queue the OxO's!" :D

Can you imagine if one of us lot ever got on fanzone and starting saying

Vassilios Lakis oxoing down the wing, nutmegs the skylos, barges his way past lipos holos tec....

Clapham Grand
30-09-2004, 09:32 AM
interesting signing

Webb
30-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Can't say I've heard of him before. But to sign an international midfielder, espically one that is a European Champion, and on a free transfer is very encouraging.

The only concern is that he hasn't played since the summer, and could be very short of match fitness.

JJO
30-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Seems like a good enough signing and most importantly plays the position where we need most help. And apparently can be cover for Kolkka as well when needed. This further affirms to me that Palace will continue with 4-5-1 now that there are ever more options available to Dowie. Hopefully Lakis will keep his ego in check and play his heart out.

A one year contract is a good decision especially if the player comes with the reported baggage. Also the club would not be tied to possibly high wages in case of relegation.

Good signing all round it seems. I'd still love to se Petit join as well, but in the meantime, bring on Foolham!

Gooders
30-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JJO

A one year contract is a good decision especially if the player comes with the reported baggage.

The "reported baggage" was about a different player!

Scroatey
30-09-2004, 11:16 AM
On the first page there was a comparison between him and another Greek winger, who only pipped him in the opinion of the writer by virtue of more "fighting spirit and determination" - which is something we've seen Dowie instill into all of our players since taking over and I'm sure this will be no different.

I wouldn't immediately assume Wayne is off just because we have someone who can cover for him. If our results pick up and Premiership survival becomes a possibility rather than a hope then I can see Wayne staying longer!

Big-Griff
30-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Well pleased with this 1,ID knows what he is up to.He gets an International class m/f that wants to play in the prem and has somthing to prove......cant wait for monday the first of many wins,(also now we have a greek player can we get Emeck's in the Holmesdale?)
Keep the faith and well done ID and SJ in geting the lad in

COME ON PALACE:p

gold76
30-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Sounds very versatile, which is a big factor, it's good that he can provide cover on both wings. That's 13 new players brought in since promotion, churlish to criticize Jordan imo

Kirby
30-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Scroatey
On the first page there was a comparison between him and another Greek winger

If he's anywhere near as good as Stelios Giannakopoulos I'll be well happy :p

paulos99
30-09-2004, 01:07 PM
What does OxO mean ?

I've seen it on here a few times and always wondered !!

Lion
30-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Has Glaziers been on here moaning about needing a left back / left midfielder yet?

Kirby
30-09-2004, 02:18 PM
No, I think he's still at playschool.

Harry Holmesdale
30-09-2004, 02:30 PM
No PL experience, and was behind Stelios Giannokopolos (or whatever his name is) in the national team who cant make the Bolton first team.... great, cant wait to see him play !

sydnsteve
30-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Harry, you really ought to get that bitterness chip removed you know!

Big-Griff
30-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Harry you must remember the glass is half full,not half empty........cheer up it could be worse we could have got Brolin in for a quick fix!

ed winchester
30-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Simply Ouzo-ing with class.

Martian
30-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale
No PL experience, and was behind Stelios Giannokopolos (or whatever his name is) in the national team who cant make the Bolton first team.... great, cant wait to see him play !

Nice to see your looking at the positives.

winston the dog
30-09-2004, 03:37 PM
anyone know if he's any good, ie actually seen him play?

cranesparkeagle
30-09-2004, 03:38 PM
shot rather than the lobe!

Not playing by ear then! sorry.

Harry Holmesdale
30-09-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry for the pessimism, but we sign a Greek bloke who came on as sub twice in the Euros and everyone gets excited, yet we sign a Colchester forward who gets slated before he has even played, whats the big difference ?

Anyone actually ever seen this bloke play football at any level ?

To me its another journeyman never gonna be, never has been...

Mr Palace
30-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Harry Holmesdale, surely because Lakis has played in the Champions League and represented his country at international level, whereas Andrews is 26 yet has not even played in the top two divisions in this country and has spent most of his career struggling in the conference and lower leagues?

Just a guess but that's probably why people are a bit excited by Lakis and not Andrews' arrival.

Sussex Eagle
30-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Yes, signing our first ever European or World champion is really comparable to getting in a player who's never exactly set the 2nd division alight :rolleyes:

Gerry from Sussex
30-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr Palace
Harry Holmesdale, surely because Lakis has played in the Champions League and represented his country at international level, whereas Andrews is 26 yet has not even played in the top two divisions in this country and has spent most of his career struggling in the conference and lower leagues?

Just a guess but that's probably why people are a bit excited by Lakis and not Andrews' arrival.

I'm just as pleased about both but maybe for different reasons. You have to remember that - important as this season is - the future of CPFC extends beyond May 2005. Signing youngsters with potential is just as important to the club if you take a slightly longer term view.

Dowie has been at pains to point out that an important objective for this season is to get the club in better shape than it was last year. That's not just covering his back in case we get relegated - it's good sense. The way things are shaping up, we are building a good squad and, even allowing for the fact that we may lose a couple of star players if we were to go down, one that will be more than capable of keeping some forward momentum going in the club's overall progress.

hughff
30-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Still doesn't solve the problem of the centre.

Ian Hart
30-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Gerry from Sussex
Signing youngsters with potential is just as important to the club if you take a slightly longer term view.

Totally agree Gerry.

Not sure that at 26 Andrews is exactly a youngster though.

Not sure about the "potential" come to that. ;)

Prometheus
01-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Harry Holmesdale
I'm sorry for the pessimism, but we sign a Greek bloke who came on as sub twice in the Euros and everyone gets excited, yet we sign a Colchester forward who gets slated before he has even played, whats the big difference ?

Anyone actually ever seen this bloke play football at any level ?

To me its another journeyman never gonna be, never has been...

Lakis has played for Greece countless times. He has played for what was *****il now), one of the best Greek sides. He has played in the Champions League, and the UEFA Cup.

I'd be happy to have him back at AEK.

NZsparky
01-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by hughff
Onwards and upwards though Hugh.
I'm cuffed to have him with us, hope he does great things:p
I also optimistic Petit might sign.
See you on the 6th Dude :hi:

sjmac
01-10-2004, 09:41 AM
The way things are shaping up, we are building a good squad and, even allowing for the fact that we may lose a couple of star players if we were to go down, one that will be more than capable of keeping some forward momentum going in the club's overall progress.

I agree Gerry. To me i feel its more important that ID has the players at the club who he feels will work best for him and work best together. He sees something in Andrews that he likes, and he hasn't cost us a fortune. Signing Lakis is hardly a risk either as he is only on a 1 year deal. Maybe the exitement is that we have been able to attract a player of his quality - all credit must go to ID.

sjmac
01-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Must try and hold onto Routledge tho.

smileysmith
01-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by hughff

With Hughesey and Aki re-aquainted together that looked like far less of a problem at Villa ...

Cleon
01-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
interesting signing

Erudite.

Dobbo
04-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Hope he's a massive success but one question guys...........
how come he was available on a free ? As a Euro 2004 winner, why didn't any Greek teams sign him up ?

Niceaction
04-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Wanted a bigger challenge I believe

Malakite
04-10-2004, 12:16 PM
So does anyone know if he has the clearance to play for us tonight? :)

Dobbo
04-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Niceaction
Wanted a bigger challenge I believe
Well he'll certainly have one ;)

GreatGonzo
04-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
how come he was available on a free ? As a Euro 2004 winner, why didn't any Greek teams sign him up ?

Cos when he takes a dump he would prefer to flush the paper down the toilet rather than stick it in the bin? :p

zonin2000
04-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Cos when he takes a dump he would prefer to flush the paper down the toilet rather than stick it in the bin? :p :)

Beanie
04-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo
Available on a free because his contract with AEK Athens expired. Several clubs - including AEK who didn't want him to leave - apparently tried to sign him, but he reportedly wanted to move to one of the "bigger leagues"

CK
04-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Available on a free because his contract with AEK Athens expired. Several clubs - including AEK who didn't want him to leave - apparently tried to sign him, but he reportedly wanted to move to one of the "bigger leagues"

and he comes to us? Maybe I'm too much of a realist but that cullender don't hold much water do it?:(

Prometheus
05-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by CK
and he comes to us? Maybe I'm too much of a realist but that cullender don't hold much water do it?:(

Olympiakos was interested in Lakis, as was Panathinaikos, but talks with both didn't proceed very far due to their disagreement on length of contract and price.

zonin2000
05-10-2004, 07:18 AM
How long is his contract?

Windom Earle
05-10-2004, 07:41 AM
A year? He looked decent last night.

gold76
05-10-2004, 08:47 AM
A year will give us a chance to assess him, if it works out he'll be offered a longer deal, a pretty good start though!

David of Kent
05-10-2004, 09:22 AM
A year is a good option. Everyone will know where they stand on his position in the team and which league we're in at that time.

Beanie
05-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by CK
Why? Given he was talking about England, Italy or Spain he was not offered anything by a "big" club. It's only a one year deal and he's in a bigger shop window now than staying in Greece. If we stay up he might well stay, if we go down he's free to go and no worse for a season much vaunted "Premiership experience". What's so odd?

zonin2000
05-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Windom Earle
A year? He looked decent last night.

Good, I was hoping this would be the case.

Looks like a great acquisition, but we cannot offer long term contracts to anybody at the moment (apart from players who were with us last season).

I hear that Lakis was in quite high demand, Olympiakos, Pana and PSG were after him, but he couldn't agree terms with anyone, so he decided to come to us for a year.

Rasheed Harkouk
05-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Lakis showed enough in the few minutes he was on the pitch last night that he will be a great addition to the squad. I'd have no qualms about him playing in place of Routledge. We actually have a pretty decent squad of players now with good options (except in midfield) all over the park.

GreatGonzo
05-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Rasheed Harkouk
We actually have a pretty decent squad of players now with good options (except in midfield) all over the park.

Midfield is where we have the most options, the left hand side is the only place without strength in depth.

Oh and Lakis would have scored on his debut if AJ was less selfish! ;)

The2ndMouse
09-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Vasilis Lakis vs. Stelios Giannakopoulos

Posted: September 28, 2002 at 10:27 AM EST (15:27 PM GMT)

by The2ndMouse

Two of the greatest Greek teams Olympiakos and AEK trust their right wing to the two lads who share the same spot in the Hellenic National Team. Namely, Stelios Giannakopoulos and Vasilis Lakis. Football has definitely changed a lot. It is no more "you play right, you play left" by the coach. Nowadays each team's game is built around the individual skills of the players used. Therefore, making an effort to compare the two players styles and abilities can offer the grounds for a good discussion, if not for their teams, then certainly for the NT spot they contend for. Allow me to try and break down those ingredients which make up the complete player image on the pitch. Allow me to weight the relative strengths and weaknesses of the two internationals before I move into a comprehensive final opinion.

Acceleration: Vasilis seems to have a marginal lead over Stelios here. Acceleration, as a reaction, is made up mostly of the pure physical ability to have an explosive start and the ability to read the game effectively. While Giannakopoulos connects better with the surrounding action, Lakis makes up in pure skill.

Pace: God gifted both of them with the ability to be quite fast. Again, Vasilis seem to have the edge.

Short Passing: While Lakis is quite good at it, Stelios is excellent. And his fighting spirit makes this ability surface even better no matter how close he is being marked.

Long Passing / Crossing: Unfortunately, they both need to improve more in this area. They play in a position where irrespective of the style of play the team uses, good long balls and good crosses are essential. But they both have poor statistics and can easily turn a break by their team to a danger for their defense.

Running With the Ball: Lakis might be one of the best players Greece has to show in this area for years. Giannakopoulos is good when he changes direction or rotates to lose the opponent, but Lakis is simply the better man when it comes to keeping the ball at high speed and even leaving fast opponents behind.

Off the Ball: Stelios wins this one easily. His mobility in the pitch and the good positioning also explains his ability to score regularly when used by Takis Lemonis. Vasilis, on the other hand, is good too, but not at the same level.

Shooting / Finishing: Although Vasilis takes advantage of his speed to bring himself into good scoring positions he usually fails to convert them to goals. He is more comfortable with technical shots rather than direct shots to the goal, and for some strange reason he goes for the shot rather than the lobe! Statistics speak for Stelios, and they look really good when it comes to finishing. Sometimes a pure striker could not do better.

Heading: Giannakopoulos is better than Lakis, but both of them have a less than average performance in their high game. The better positioning of the shorter man (Stelios) is enough to win him this contest.

Tackling: Not one of their primary tasks, but an important ability in modern football. Again, the two wingers fail to show any impressive stats, with Giannakopoulos being the better of the two. Why? See the next part?

Determination: I believe that this is the quality that offers Giannakopoulos what speed offers to Lakis. This, and his fighting spirit is what makes Stelios a good player and covers for any of his shortcomings. Lakis is a pretty determined lad also. His face emits the tranquility of his character but he is fighting hard in his own way. Just a look at Stelios' eyes during the fight is enough to understand who is more convincing.

Teamwork: Lakis is fast and good at what he is doing and has taken the correct approach to his role when pieced together with those of his teammates. He will be rarely accused for individualism. Giannakopoulos may be good in all the separate ingredients that would make him the perfect team player but he tends to believe the world revolves around him too often. Vasilis definitely deserves to win this category.

Versatility: I will give this one to Stelios with not much thought. Both lads can undertake defensive duties quite effectively when asked to, despite their attacking nature. They will not go for any man of the match awards, but they will get the job done. However, Giannakopoulos can easily switch sides and have a very good left side game. He can also move to the middle where the aforementioned poor team play may cost him some points. Lakis can move into other positions less effectively.

Flair and Creativity: Both of them use different skills to reach to approximately the same result. They are good and creative players who could use a "flair injection". World class defenders should be able to deal with their inspirations most of the times, but not all teams have world class defenders.

Stamina: Both are more than good at staying fit and keeping their pace throughout the game. A precious ability for any hard working winger.

Injury Proneness: No serious problems ever plagued any part of their professional careers. They seem to be strong lads and even when injured they managed to recover fast without any follow up injuries that would uncover any particular body weaknesses.

After the long, yet necessary, analysis, I feel ready to say that in my opinion Stelios Giannakopoulos can be considered as the better player. I did not use any weird grading system in the categories above to reach to this conclusion. I believe that Lakis is more talented than Giannakopoulos. But talent can get you up to a certain point. Hard work and determination will keep you there and push you forward. And Stelios is full of fighting spirit. I believe that the man from the big port is rightfully the occupant of the place in the National Team where Lakis serves as a useful substitute. Here I want to say that having these two players at this position allows the NT coach to switch playing styles with just one substitution. Always a good option to have! One thing that Lakis has and Giannakopoulos is missing is good guidance by his coach! Let us see if Mr. Bajevic can push Lakis to a better overall game. Giannakopoulos is not doing bad under Lemonis either, but does he improve? Would he be able to make any finishing touches to his game under the guidance of a more experienced manager? I am sure that Mr. Rehhagel cannot help as much as he should due to the little time he spends with his players.

This is a pass to the team scouts.

Pass it on.

Haha! Where did you find this!!!?? :p

I thought the database it was written on was discontinued!

I wrotte it back in 2002.... long before the Euro Win and Stelios and Vassilis Ending up in the Premiership!

It also goes to show how wrong we all were about our NT coach back then! ... :bash:

ROCK'N'ROLL
09-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by The2ndMouse
Haha! Where did you find this!!!?? :p

I thought the database it was written on was discontinued!

I wrotte it back in 2002.... long before the Euro Win and Stelios and Vassilis Ending up in the Premiership!

It also goes to show how wrong we all were about our NT coach back then! ... :bash:

Welcome to the Palace BBS.

You will find a lot of people here that will go quite some way to get hold of any information possible.

Enjoy!

The2ndMouse
09-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Cheers mate