PDA

View Full Version : Worst penalty miss ever!

tonkers
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Any one else remember this one.
Itzak Zohar

That just came back to my mind and i keep thinking about it.
Does anyone remember what happened to him?
Did he play again after that match?

jazman
05-11-2004, 03:22 PM
My memory doesn't serve me that well but there were 5 taken in a game v Brighton at Selhurst. We scored 1 and won the game 2-1. The other 4 penalties were truly awful. Was it Pembo who sent one over the Holmesdale terrace as it was then?

doof
05-11-2004, 03:24 PM
It was funny the way he immediatedly insisted on taking it (didn't he take it off someone) and then proceeded to blast his way into CPFC folklore never to be seen again. Didn't we pay 1 million for him? One of Venables' dodgy deals he swept under the carpet - remember those two argentinians we signed and only one of them ever turned up?

tonkers
05-11-2004, 03:26 PM
yeh that has wot has stuck in my mind. the way he took the ball off someone else and then nearly put the ball into the upper holmesdale.
and im not lying!

MartinE
05-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm still chuckling at Jeff Whitley's effort for Sunderland personally. The reaction from Mick McCarthy is priceless.

GeeTee
05-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by jazman
My memory doesn't serve me that well but there were 5 taken in a game v Brighton at Selhurst. We scored 1 and won the game 2-1. The other 4 penalties were truly awful. Was it Pembo who sent one over the Holmesdale terrace as it was then?

There's a decent old thread on this somewhere. We did score one, yes but not all of the other four were awful. Brighton scored theirs (actually that does sound awful), and Bright hit the post with his second, Wright also missed one but Pembo's was the pick of the lot - straight into orbit.

GeeTee
05-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by doof
It was funny the way he immediatedly insisted on taking it (didn't he take it off someone)

Bruce Dyer I think.

GeeTee
05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
remember those two argentinians we signed and only one of them ever turned up?

Not quite true - Ledesma and Rodrigues both turned up but one got injured badly and the other didn't fancy life in blighty without the other. A criminal waste of money.

chav_hater
05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by MartinE
The reaction from Mick McCarthy is priceless.

Does anyone have a video of it anywhere that they can put for everyone to view? :o

AddiscombeEagle
05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by tonkers
yeh that has wot has stuck in my mind. the way he took the ball off someone else and then nearly put the ball into the upper holmesdale.
and im not lying!

I think you are, wasn't it a really weak pen that the keeper saved to his left?

Trist
05-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by GeeTee
Not quite true - Ledesma and Rodrigues both turned up but one got injured badly and the other didn't fancy life in blighty without the other. A criminal waste of money.
I though one of them was Walter Del Rio… or am I getting totally confused?

ian king
05-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Zohar did grab the ball off Dyer and proferred a weak shot that was saved. The point of view here is that had we scored from it we would have probably beaten Southampton, it was only five minutes from time and broken the home hoodoo much earlier than April.

Both Zohar's pen and Pembos were at the Holmesdale end.

Who remembers a pen from Kellard in the 70s when he slipped as he kicked the ball and it and a large clod of Selhurst turf and the ball went sailing past the opposition goalie into the net - was it against Newcastle?

Then there are a couple of penalty gems from Johnny 'Shovel' Sewell, one home to Portsmouth in Easter 69 which he mishit after the wind blew it from the spot at the vital moment of contact but still scored and then at Old Trafford when his pen was fumbled by Stepney and he just nicked home the rebound.

Rog 007
05-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Zohar was absoloutely ******** ****, still remember that Boxing Day against the saints, left Palace so annoyed, should have been our first home win that year.

Non Palace penalty is Waddle against germany in 1990

Santos-er
05-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Pembo's effort against Brighton was something to behold. I'm sure it nestled in the net.....

at the Goldstone.

Bangkok Eagle
06-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Rog 007
Zohar was absoloutely ******** ****, still remember that Boxing Day against the saints, left Palace so annoyed, should have been our first home win that year.

Ruined my Christmas.

Daily Mal
07-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Bruce Dyer I think.

Yes - Zohar took the ball of Dyer who was playing his first game since being injured by a disgraceful tackle against newcastle about 2 months previously.

In a way it was a good thing that a player had such confidence - but at the time I was thinking how strange it was that the team did not know in advance who would be taking a penalty. Bad preparation by Sir Steve, I regret to say.

And it was probably the most important miss for many years. As has been said, if it had gone in we would probably have won that game, broken the home jinx, and then gone on to pick up some more home poinst that might have kept us up. Except that a few weeks later Goldberg emerged on the scene telling everyone how Coppell would be out and Venables in after the take over. Strange thing to do in Jan/Feb when you're trying to avoid relegation

King William
07-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Rog 007

Non Palace penalty is Waddle against germany in 1990
my saints mates still remind me of it to this day. no problems cos we can easily so the double over them this season

celery stick
08-11-2004, 06:20 PM
I dimly remember Peter Taylor missing two in a row in the old third division.
Not particularly bad penalties, but both in crucial promotion games v Cardiff and Millwall I think they were.
One ended up 0-1, and the other 0-0, pretty much put paid to our promotion bid that year.

celery stick
08-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Yup 1976
League Division 3
P W D L F A W D L F A Pts
1. HEREFORD UNITED 46 14 6 3 45 24 12 5 6 41 31 63
2. CARDIFF CITY 46 14 7 2 38 13 8 6 9 31 35 57
3. MILLWALL 46 16 6 1 35 14 4 10 9 19 29 56
4. Brighton & Hove Albion 46 18 3 2 58 15 4 6 13 20 38 53
5. Crystal Palace 46 7 12 4 30 20 11 5 7 31 26 53
6. Wrexham 46 13 6 4 38 21 7 6 10 28 34 52

How about that league table for rivalries?!

Palace, Millwall, and Seaweed!
Cardiff, Wrexham and Hereford!

sandfields
09-11-2004, 12:26 PM
[

venerballs at plymouth, his last game before coming coach

WorthingEagle
09-11-2004, 12:30 PM
One of Venables' dodgy deals he swept under the carpet -

Venables was king of dodgy deals but unfortunately Zohar was signed by Sir Steve :eek:

olly1703
09-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Bruce Dyer's vs Leeds in the FA Cup in Jan 97. Maybe not the penalty miss itself, but the follow-up was absolutely shocking.

Recently, I think it'll take a lot to beat Beckham's attempt in the shoot out against Portugal. And the game against Turkey, come to think of it...

Timbo
09-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by tonkers
Any one else remember this one.
Itzak Zohar

That just came back to my mind and i keep thinking about it.
Does anyone remember what happened to him?
Did he play again after that match?

I was there.....unfortunately!

eagle dom
09-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Zohar was having such a shocker that day that it seemed inevitable when he missed it - I remeber being behind the goal at the time.

I also seem to remember him going AWOL for the following weekend...Didn't he go back to Israel, to play an exhibition match for his old club?? without permission and risking injury too!

The game was against AC Milan I think, and I'm pretty sure he missed a pen in that game too.

Total waste of space...

andy1905
09-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Saw one a few years ago where Hugo Sanchez whilst playing for Real Madrid ( i think) chipped one down the middel, got it wrong and it went rolling towards the corner flag!

SA Eagle
09-11-2004, 06:25 PM
One of the worst I've seen that bordered on Pembo proportions was versus Burnley in 1978, when Phil Holder put one over the top of the old Whitehorse terrace.

dave_who_ru
19-11-2004, 08:32 PM
What about the one that Andy Gray missed. Seem to recall that he wanted a move and it looked as though he missed it deliberately. Can't remember who it was against.

moverman
19-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by dave_who_ru
What about the one that Andy Gray missed. Seem to recall that he wanted a move and it looked as though he missed it deliberately. Can't remember who it was against.

Coventry City at home?

sandfields
19-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by moverman
Coventry City at home?

correct pete ,your question

knackers
20-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Baggio, world cup final. How bad would you feel?

charltonhater
20-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Doof
remember those two argentinians we signed and only one of them ever turned up?

Originally posted by Trist
I though one of them was Walter Del Rio… or am I getting totally confused?

As I remember it, we signed Rodrigues and some other guy (Ledesma I assume), but only Rodrigues turned up. When we enquired about the other guy, it turned out he had been sold to some Argentinian club, so they sent us Walter del Rio instead. Del Rio played a handful of games, I believe I remember him starting one, while Rodrigues got injured in training, went to South America for treatment and never returned.

Zohar played about eight or nine games before vanishing after that penalty miss.

the elusive k
21-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Has to be Pembo's against Brighton, it was a true shocker in a ludicrous game. Kelvin Morton was the ref if I remember correctly, he always seemed to give us penalties.

selhurstparkflyer
21-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by SA Eagle
One of the worst I've seen that bordered on Pembo proportions was versus Burnley in 1978, when Phil Holder put one over the top of the old Whitehorse terrace.

I am sure I was at that game.

It was a draw, wasn't it?

ElwissAtMemphis
22-11-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Beckham's 2 conversion attempts (in Turkey and during the shoot-out against Portugal). Ironically he also took the worst penalty that I've seen that went in, against Argentina in the last World Cup. It wasn't even struck that hard and went strainght at the keeper along the ground. Fortunately, their keeper had flung himself towards the corner of the net but if he'd stood his ground he could probably have trapped it with his feet before bending over to pick it up which would have been extremely funny (if you weren't English)

SA Eagle
22-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by selhurstparkflyer
I am sure I was at that game.

It was a draw, wasn't it?

Yeah drew 0-0

GeeTee
26-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by charltonhater
As I remember it, we signed Rodrigues and some other guy (Ledesma I assume), but only Rodrigues turned up. When we enquired about the other guy, it turned out he had been sold to some Argentinian club, so they sent us Walter del Rio instead. Del Rio played a handful of games, I believe I remember him starting one, while Rodrigues got injured in training, went to South America for treatment and never returned.

Not sure about that. I've got an old programme with a picture of Ledesma and Rodrigues in their Palace shirts as the centre pages.

David of Kent
26-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Add to the above Lineker's against Brazil in 1992 at Wembley. If he had scored it he'd have either gone level with Charltons England scoring record or gone to the top (I can't remember which). He slow chipped it to the middle, keeper virtually went one way and had time to correct himself go back and save it. Didn't score for England then in any of his last 3 or 4 games.