PDA

View Full Version : History of Liverpool V Palace (specifically the 9-0 defeat)

stwilley
15-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Sorry to open old wounds but does anyone know who scored for Liverpool in the 9-0 defeat.

I work in the North West and a colleague of mine thinks it was nine different scorers but I could have sworn that someone scored twice (Nicol?)

Thanks

matayusgiovanni
15-11-2004, 09:54 AM
It was not 9 different scorers, because i was there, and i refuse to name the ones i remember because that scar healed years ago, and will not be re-opened at any price.

CHE
15-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by stwilley
Sorry to open old wounds but does anyone know who scored for Liverpool in the 9-0 defeat.

I work in the North West and a colleague of mine thinks it was nine different scorers but I could have sworn that someone scored twice (Nicol?)

Thanks

Six different scorers I think, off the top of my head Barnes, Aldridge McMahon, Nicol (2), Gillespie, Hysen, that only makes seven though, so either there was another scorer and one of those got two, or the other person got two!

Son of Ron
15-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Nicol 2, McMahon, Rush, Gillespie, Beardsley, Aldridge(pen), Barnes, Hysen

stwilley
15-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Great, thanks Son of Ron

MikeyDread
15-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Remember going and it was just a blur, i think pretty much everyone scored including their goalie and a couple of their fans ;(

Jasper
15-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Holy hell, for a second there I read Hysen as Hansen. My blood ran cold at the thought of the Dour Scot sticking one past us.

Granada allover
15-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Sorry to re-open old wounds stwilley but, can you inform your friend (merely for the record) that there were four different scorers for Palace at another match at Villa Park just a few months later...

:clown:

cantspell
15-11-2004, 10:44 AM
got a penalty decision that day ( villa park), but couldn't hold on to a 3-2 win then

ian king
15-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Let's recall some 'highs' against Liverpool.

Gerry Queen scoring at Anfield August 1970 to earn our first point against them and then Gerry scored the only goal in the return at Selhurst in January 1971

Thomas and Gabbiadini giving Palace a 2-1 win at Anfield in November 1991 and Ninja earned us the 'double' over them in March 1992

December 1992 and four days after losing 5-0 in the League at Anfield, Chris Coleman scores in the 1-1 draw there in the League Cup (with McGoldrick as sweeper) and Grant Watts and Andy Thorn are the heroes when we win the replay at a soggy Selhurst. In extra time Steve Nicol misdirects a header over his own keeper and Thornie follows it in. Shuts up Souness.

disco mixx kidd
15-11-2004, 05:13 PM
they took the piss when they bought on aldridge to take a pen!

but wrighty was told by barnes a few years later (after we had a few famous wins against them) that they did look 4wARD to playin us
we robed them of a famous double remember

The London Man
17-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Liverpool have been cheating Palace for over 65 years! The first meeting of the sides came at Selhurst Park in 1938 in an FA Cup 3rd tie which finished 0-0. Liverpool printed a comment in their programme for the replay at Anfield "it was remarkable the Liverpool players escaped without serious injury"! The FA ordered Liverpool to print a public appology a few weeks later!

The match at Anfield had familiar occurences that have repeated right up to the present day. With Palace (of Division 3 (S)) leading 1-0 with a minute of normal time left, the ball was crossed into the Palace box, whereupon the ball was "punched" into the net by the aptly named Shafto. The cheatin' scarse gits of course secured their first ever win over Palace in extra time with an own goal and a late settler from Joe Fagan. Some things never change!