CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Palace Discussion (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Power To The Players? (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272019)

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-09-2017 10:58 PM

Power To The Players?

I've been plain about my disgust at FdB's sacking and initially blamed it on a cowardly and premature abandonment of the very footballing principles De Boer was supposed to be here for. Some here may completely disagree with that viewpoint and fair play to them for that is not the point of this thread.

Yet the more I read about it, the more it looks as if certain players, in particular some deemed surplus to requirement, have banded together to oust the manager.

Whether people here are glad at the resultant firing of FdB or not, it leads to a question that I don't recall being an issue at our club too often in our past; is it ever right that players have a form of veto power over their boss? Should a chairman back his appointee to the hilt when it is morally justified but against a tide of player discontent? Should a club force players to accept their boss, like most of us mere mortals must Mon-Fri, week-in, week-out? If a player contracts to play for a club, should that automatically mean said player should accept the management that club emplaces above him? Is it time for chairmen to make an example of dissident players rather than wield the axe on their behalf?

Discuss.

Stellavista 11-09-2017 11:01 PM

I didn't want de Boer, and I am not heartbroken to see him gone, but if there's any truth in the multiple reports of player 'power', than it's a disgrace and those players need to be cleared out as soon as possible.

Thefunkymonk 11-09-2017 11:01 PM

It isn't the first time

jimmy the gent 11-09-2017 11:05 PM

Well they were right to lobby for Holloway and Pardew's sacking to be fair. Maybe they were right about this one too. The only thing that is concerning is that it sounds like it could be the likes of Delaney, CYL and Martin Kelly getting invovled, none of whom should be anywhere near the first team. Reserve teams the land over are filled with players with grudges against the management, quite why their whims are being pandered to here i don't know.

Maiden Eagle 11-09-2017 11:08 PM

Apparently Delaney appears to be the spokesman. Might be bullsh*t, might not.
But I have to say (having praised the bloke on here, quite often) if true, I hope
he never kicks a ball for Palace, again.

Maiden Eagle 11-09-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy the gent (Post 13840260)
Well they were right to lobby for Holloway and Pardew's sacking to be fair. Maybe they were right about this one too. The only thing that is concerning is that it sounds like it could be the likes of Delaney, CYL and Martin Kelly getting invovled, none of whom should be anywhere near the first team. Reserve teams the land over are filled with players with grudges against the management, quite why their whims are being pandered to here i don't know.

Didn't Lee have a public moan about Pardew at the end if the 15/16 season ? I think we all thought that would end his (very undistinguished) Palace career. Unfortunately, like a bad smell, he is still here.

swirly007 11-09-2017 11:18 PM

Does anyone have any links to what the players are said to have said/done? I'm a bit out of the loop!

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 11-09-2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swirly007 (Post 13840280)
Does anyone have any links to what the players are said to have said/done? I'm a bit out of the loop!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7941376.html

Optimistic Kev 11-09-2017 11:28 PM

Power To The Players?

Wilf nailed his colours to the mast a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/zonin2000/status/905901211395776512

But he's a hero so that's ok. Delaney isn't so he's a snake who shouldn't kick a ball again.

The fickleness of the BBS knows no bounds.

Billyd 11-09-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimistic Kev (Post 13840289)

But he's a hero so that's ok. Delaney isn't so he's a snake who shouldn't kick a ball again.

The fickleness of the BBS has no bounds.

Was that video really while De Boer was in charge?!?! Lol if it was. Clearly players took issue with 3 4 3 then.

As for Delaney i wondered how long it would take before he got blamed. People need to watch Holloway on that sunday sky sports show talking about losing the dressing room. He said at Palace when the chips were down a few players werent trying for him he then gave example who gave their all in training and on the pitch every week and included Delaney in the example (along with Jedi and Speroni i think). Yet according to a few it was him who got him sacked....

cdm61 11-09-2017 11:38 PM

Grouty will deal with grasses later

Optimistic Kev 11-09-2017 11:39 PM

Posted by Wilf last Thursday. In fairness it worked we went 4-3-3 against Burnley apparently against de Boer's wishes if media are to be believed.

ExiledStirling 11-09-2017 11:39 PM

The problem is that the role of football manager is seen to be one that should be carried out in an autocratic fashion.

If we are telling the players to simply shut up and do as they are told and we also expect the chairman to butt out of footballing matters how does anyone nip in the bud the things that are starting to go wrong?

meee 11-09-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimistic Kev (Post 13840289)

The fickleness of the BBS knows no bounds.

I thought this had been done to death?He was playing FIFA.
lol

henryhallandhisbasque 11-09-2017 11:43 PM

Why did Dann miss that header?

meee 11-09-2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExiledStirling (Post 13840304)
The problem is that the role of football manager is seen to be one that should be carried out in an autocratic fashion.

If we are telling the players to simply shut up and do as they are told and we also expect the chairman to butt out of footballing matters how does anyone nip in the bud the things that are starting to go wrong?

I'm pretty sure most clubs work on the basis that players have an input along with all of the coaching staff and the manager then takes the decisions and ultimately responsibility.I'd be shocked if there's too many who still work autocratically.I think the issue being discussed here is not so much the players having an input but their deliberate attempts to push someone out of a job.It makes you question whether Lee did what he did on Sunday deliberately and whether he,along with others,have been giving everything to get us results.That shouldn't really be a question.

palaceporky 11-09-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryhallandhisbasque (Post 13840308)
Why did Dann miss that header?

Why. Because he did. It's called a sitter and he missed it, as per sitters that are missed week in week out.
But.. If only.

ExiledStirling 11-09-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meee (Post 13840309)
I'm pretty sure most clubs work on the basis that players have an input along with all of the coaching staff and the manager then takes the decisions and ultimately responsibility.I'd be shocked if there's too many who still work autocratically.I think the issue being discussed here is not so much the players having an input but their deliberate attempts to push someone out of a job.It makes you question whether Lee did what he did on Sunday deliberately and whether he,along with others,have been giving everything to get us results.That shouldn't really be a question.

I know this, but the point is , if the players feel their input to the manager is being ignored are we then saying they should shut up and not go and speak to someone else like the chairman to express their views?

Surely if they do speak to the chairman, surely he/she can then make a decision as to whether the player(s) concerns are out of self interest or are valid and then act accordingly.

CPFC.1990 11-09-2017 11:55 PM

As has been said many times before, this is the most unlikeable set of Palace players i've known. Apart from Julian of course.

Stinger1 12-09-2017 12:23 AM

It all depends on how this came about. If SP, Mark Bright or someone at the club approached a few players and asked how things were going then I don't think there's anything wrong with a player giving an honest opinion.