CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Original - and still the best real ale thread (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143971)

Slimbloke'H' 17-11-2006 10:30 PM

Original - and still the best real ale thread

I have not long returned from my local Tesco, having topped up on a few of life's essentials. Whilst I was there, I spent several minutes going over their selection of bottled ales and was pleasantly surprised to see a good choice of obscure Midlands ales.

There is a brew pub not a million miles from where I now live (the Talbot at Knightwick) and lo and behold Tesco stock their 'Hearth Warmer' winter ale - which I am now supping.

It's not bad, you know... :p

Anybody else drinking some good stuff this evening?

Neil the Eagle 18-11-2006 12:18 AM

Not ale, but just starting in on the Edradour Unchillfiltered 10yo malt, in prep for next Friday...

stevek 18-11-2006 12:41 AM

I'm on the final bottle of four from a Badger selection box. Not a bad selection.

Slimbloke'H' 18-11-2006 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Not ale, but just starting in on the Edradour Unchillfiltered 10yo malt, in prep for next Friday...
Talking of Scottish alcohol... after several fairly average pints I opened a bottle of 'Champion Double Ale' from the Broughton Ales brewery. Don't ever let anybody tell you the Scots don't know how to brew ale!

Looking forward to some hefty tasting notes after next week's bash! :)

stevek 18-11-2006 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Slimbloke'H'
Talking of Scottish alcohol... after several fairly average pints I opened a bottle of 'Champion Double Ale' from the Broughton Ales brewery. Don't ever let anybody tell you the Scots don't know how to brew ale!

Looking forward to some hefty tasting notes after next week's bash! :)

I love Scottish ales.

Slimbloke'H' 18-11-2006 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by stevek
I'm on the final bottle of four from a Badger selection box. Not a bad selection.
I do like Badger beers - in fact, Tanglefoot is just about the only ale I'll drink from a can. What was in the selection?

Slimbloke'H' 18-11-2006 12:51 AM

Quote:

I love Scottish ales.
I can't say I'm that familiar, but I have to say that Champion Double Ale was a clonking pint! :p

Tony Montana 18-11-2006 01:05 AM

had a lovely hardcore pint of fosters tonight, nice age old touch yeah?

Slimbloke'H' 18-11-2006 01:12 AM

Re: A Self-indulgent Ale Thread

Quote:

...Anybody else drinking some good stuff this evening?
Quote:

Originally posted by Tony Montana
had a lovely hardcore pint of fosters tonight, nice age old touch yeah?
Go away... ;)

Psychokiller 18-11-2006 07:59 AM

Sainsburys are currently stocking Caledonian 80/- in bottles, which is fast becoming my favourite.

ozieaglesimon 18-11-2006 08:09 AM

tooheys extra dry....... "clean crisp taste" .......... qoite a noice lil oz lager :cool:
gr8 reviews too
Scott Perry said,
It’s what i use to get drunk…when i want to get drunk….i am drunk…so i used Tooheys Extra Dry to get here"

http://www.tastebeer.com.au/beer/42

LSEagle 18-11-2006 08:48 AM

http://www.beerhunter.com/images/20001231-youngs.gif

And it's only 3 hours until my local opens :lux: :lux:

Dave Nunn 18-11-2006 08:56 AM

I've recently supped a nice Buzzard Dark Ale by the Cotleigh Brewery in Somerset....... V.Nice! :p :moo:

www.cotleighbrewery.com

Maidstoned Eagle 18-11-2006 09:23 AM

A bottle of Dragon Stout from Jamaica.

Eaglesmad123 18-11-2006 12:19 PM

Black Cullin is my fav scottish ale

nottsunieagle 18-11-2006 12:54 PM

Sainsbury's are stocking Late Red again! Finest ale ever!

monkoid 18-11-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

I'm 5 miles from the badger brewery, often pop in for a selection of their ales..... Fantastic

the elusive k 18-11-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

I do like Badger beers - in fact, Tanglefoot is just about the only ale I'll drink from a can. What was in the selection?
You can't go far wrong with a glass of Badger ale and the Badger four pack is a great buy.

Tanglefoot
Golden Champion
Golden Glory
and they've now replaced Blandford Fly with the excellent First Gold.

I had a bottle of Shepherd Neame's 1698 the other day. I was suitably impressed considering I normally find their ales a bit "thin".

Also look out for Hepworth's "Iron Horse". Me and my brother couldn't get enough of it during the summer.

Savacentre in Lower Sydenham have been selling St. Austell's "Tribute" lately which I'm well pleased with, a mighty fine beer indeed.

Mighty_Guru 18-11-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nottsunieagle
Sainsbury's are stocking Late Red again! Finest ale ever!
Nice !! currently my favourite thirst quencher:lux:

Neil the Eagle 18-11-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eaglesmad123
Black Cullin is my fav scottish ale
Hebridean Gold for me... same brewery.