CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Vince Hilaire autobiography (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273820)

bubbs11 24-01-2018 06:45 AM

Vince Hilaire autobiography
 
Out March 1st 2018!

https://www.bitebackpublishing.com/books/vince

First I’ve heard of it. My first Palace hero - can’t wait to read it.

I wonder if he’ll mention the time an 11 year old Bubbs11 met him at a kids Sunday League award ceremony and got him to swear over and over again that he would never leave Palace...

He left literally two weeks later. :sob:

I’ve had trust issues ever since

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/CE81B342...83085FC2AE.jpg

Olympian2 24-01-2018 07:03 AM

Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?

Jim Cannon 24-01-2018 07:14 AM

Can't remember exactly why he didn't leave at that point but his form could be very inconsistent though.

El Aguila 24-01-2018 07:15 AM

I’m getting that!

Golf Boy 24-01-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14073467)
Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?

Itīs not like any first division clubs were in for him.

CP Satellite 24-01-2018 07:28 AM

OThere was a short documentary about him on ITV in the summer of 1976, also titled Vince - but apart from this short clip, it seems nobody has the full documentary anymore - shame because it is still amongst the most exciting times in our club's history.

Vince will always be a hero to the Palace fans that saw him play, an exhilariting player who seemed destined for greater things than actually materialised, but still great and cherished memories and evocative of one the most enjoyable eras in my time following Palace.



NB - Just realised, the building you can see outside the Palace Boardroom where Vince is signing his first full professional terms - is Lady Edridge School, roughly where the Fanzone and those houses that are in Wooderson Close are sited now.

Olympian2 24-01-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 14073478)
Itīs not like any first division clubs were in for him.

No, but on the face of it, it's a bit curious that Venables stole half the team to QPR (including 'stars' like Fenwick & Burridge) but didn't take Vince, who he would have had since a kid.

Bipe 24-01-2018 09:17 AM

Wow...just sent the link to my wife. This is all I want for my birthday this year.

IanH 24-01-2018 09:35 AM

I suspect a lot of it will be about his time at Pompey. Mick Quinn's book about those years was hilarious - that team sounded like a complete nightmare (on and off the pitch) with Quinn, Noel Blake, Billy Gilbert, Mick Kennedy, plus Hilaire.

loz 24-01-2018 09:36 AM

My first Palace hero...in fact my only Palace hero. ( Gerry queen and Don Rogers would have been my first but didn't really get to see them play live much)

A bright light in the dark times from 81 to 84.

Wanted to call my first son Vince. Either after the Vincent Motorbike or Vince Hilaire...wasnt allowed !!

Del Fenner 24-01-2018 10:14 AM

He was rampant against the Weed in my first Palace match (3-1 Hilare 2), and I was hooked.

Can't wait for this! :D

thereichstuff 24-01-2018 10:18 AM

“ he’s here he’s there he’s every ******* where “
“Brown boy on the wing” :p can’t wait to read it .

wrightchipvcfc 24-01-2018 10:40 AM

Was great to watch when I was a kid met him reAly down to earth guy

David of Kent 24-01-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanH (Post 14073674)
I suspect a lot of it will be about his time at Pompey. Mick Quinn's book about those years was hilarious - that team sounded like a complete nightmare (on and off the pitch) with Quinn, Noel Blake, Billy Gilbert, Mick Kennedy, plus Hilaire.

Hope not. 7 years compared to 4 years of his career, many more games here, plus he had a dressing room with Sansom, Budgie, Cannon (did he have the same problems Wright had with him), Gerry Francis, crowd of 52k, being top of the league (for a week), the rise and collapse of the club, Malcolm Allison returning, Venables era, Ron coming in.....plus Billy Gilbert!! I'd say a healthy bit on his time at Pompey but an even healthier bit on his time here.

Thanet Eagle 24-01-2018 11:01 AM

Looking forward to this ! Thanks for the heads up.

Am Phibian 24-01-2018 11:31 AM

The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.

bubbs11 24-01-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14073467)
Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?

Sure he’ll cover that in the book. From my memory, after being absolutely electric in our promotion season and the beginning of our season in the top flight, as Jim Cannon said, he was hugely inconsistent. But was still a shining light of hope along with Kevin Mabbutt, in a sea of absolute darkness at the time.

I do seem to recall there were always rumours that he’d move on but never seem to happen until Coppell arrived.

in-exile 24-01-2018 11:54 AM

His brother fitted my Dad's gas coal effect fire...is Vince in the UK?

ElwissAtMemphis 24-01-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Am Phibian (Post 14073907)
The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.

I remember both Kenny Sansom and Paul Hinshelwood performing that routine a few times too. It must have been something they worked on in training.

wrightchipvcfc 24-01-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14073941)
Sure he’ll cover that in the book. From my memory, after being absolutely electric in our promotion season and the beginning of our season in the top flight, as Jim Cannon said, he was hugely inconsistent. But was still a shining light of hope along with Kevin Mabbutt, in a sea of absolute darkness at the time.

I do seem to recall there were always rumours that he’d move on but never seem to happen until Coppell arrived.

Jerry Murphy was a big reason we stayed up in them early 80 s


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.