CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Paul Mortimer (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24878)

Lucky Steve 23-07-2002 05:04 PM

Paul Mortimer
 
Does anyone remember a former Palace player called Paul Mortimer, A lady at work know's him and it's her claim to fame.

palace ray 23-07-2002 05:07 PM

yeah he was one of the not so good players in the early nineties. He wasn't at the club for long (i don't think)

917L 23-07-2002 05:17 PM

He was highly rated at Clowntown before we had him but he was absolute sh**e in a Palace shirt and apart from 1 goal against QPR he achieved nothing.

GreatGonzo 23-07-2002 05:19 PM

He wanted to deck me when i was 16 for coming onto his wife, mind you she did not seem to mind! ;)

CK 23-07-2002 05:24 PM

Think I remember him and Rob Lee being a well thought of midfield for Charlton. We got the wrong one for a change. Via Villa? See, to remember us getting stuffed on that deal as well but I can't remember the details!!

Norm 23-07-2002 05:28 PM

he was at Bristol City last played a few good games (great passer) but got injured and was let go on a free think he is on the free agents list now

Psychokiller 23-07-2002 05:48 PM

I remember Coppell's comment on his programme page the week he bought him:

"We have been in desperate need of someone to fill that left hole all season. Neither Stan Collymore or Chris Coleman has looked really comfortable there. So I looked in my Rothmans Football Yearbook and noticed Paul Mortimer was having a bit of a bad time at Aston Villa. I phoned Ron Atkinson and I must say he gave me a fair amount of encouragement."

This was one of Steve's biggest mistakes, buying a player on the strength of an entrie in Rothmans and the advice of one of his ex managers. The only reason Fat Ron gave him encouragement is because he knew that no-one else who had seen this useless donkey play would offer 50,000 for him, let alone allow Fat Ron to recoup the 500,000 he paid Charlton for him!

One of the most clueless and disinterested players ever to disgrace the Red and Blue.

Norbury Eagle 23-07-2002 05:49 PM

I remember him occasionally being in the team in the late eighties. Showed some nice touches and passes but wasn't really up to it.

Dal 23-07-2002 05:53 PM

Was on a nice fat contract and if I remember rightly, he was quite content to sit in the reserves and pick up his money at the end of the week (a la Hopkin).

:grrr:

GOD 23-07-2002 05:54 PM

Re: Paul Mortimer
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Lucky Steve
Does anyone remember a former Palace player called Paul Mortimer, A lady at work know's him and it's her claim to fame.
Yes, I'm affraid I do :sob:

Skin Up 23-07-2002 06:00 PM

Had a tendency for his corners to hit the side netting a lot, to be fair I think Coppell reliased his mistake very early and once Salako was fit from a really bad injury Mortimer was rarely in the team again. Sadly Salako did his knee in and missed virtully all of 91/92 (a much bigger loss than Wright IMHO) and we had to suffer Mortimer though a lot of 91/92. Highlight of his Palace career was putting us 1-0 up against Manure that season (we went on to lose 1-3).

My memories getting really bad and I can't remember who played down the left in 92/93 (Salako reacurred his injury and was out for another year) I'm sure by then Coppell had reliased how crap Mortimer was and got shot him possibly back to the Clowns for about half of what we paid for him. But as I said my memories crap and I could be wrong.

The moral of this story: never buy anything off pikies it'll always end in tears.

Psychokiller 23-07-2002 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Skin Up


My memories getting really bad and I can't remember who played down the left in 92/93 (Salako reacurred his injury and was out for another year) I'm sure by then Coppell had reliased how crap Mortimer was and got shot him possibly back to the Clowns for about half of what we paid for him. But as I said my memories crap and I could be wrong.

The moral of this story: never buy anything off pikies it'll always end in tears.

I dunno, IMHO John Humphrey was probably the best right back we ever had and he was bought from the pikeys.

Mortimer lost his place when Rodger and later Ndah emerged, and he never won it back.

DANGERMOUSE 23-07-2002 06:12 PM

Re: Paul Mortimer
 
Mortimer was rubbish. Notable only for having the longest forearms I can remember seeing on a player.

Rob W 23-07-2002 06:20 PM

Didn't he reappear for the 1st half of one of the cup games at Selhurst. I sure he didn't play too badly - or is my memory getting bad.

I remember smiff telling us at a fans forum that he was on a really fat contract and just happy to sit it out.

Can't blame him really.

Lucky Steve 23-07-2002 06:22 PM

any pictures

markholmes1991 23-07-2002 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 917L
He was highly rated at Clowntown before we had him but he was absolute sh**e in a Palace shirt and apart from 1 goal against QPR he achieved nothing.
don't you mean the looping header at meadow lane to complete a three - two palace victory? A superb header, judging it over the stranded keeper

Simon Forrest 23-07-2002 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Skin Up
Had a tendency for his corners to hit the side netting a lot, to be fair I think Coppell reliased his mistake very early and once Salako was fit from a really bad injury Mortimer was rarely in the team again. Sadly Salako did his knee in and missed virtully all of 91/92 (a much bigger loss than Wright IMHO) and we had to suffer Mortimer though a lot of 91/92. Highlight of his Palace career was putting us 1-0 up against Manure that season (we went on to lose 1-3).
wrong.


I remember that match so well. Ryan Giggs turned 18, I think.

DANGERMOUSE 23-07-2002 06:29 PM

Re: Re: Paul Mortimer
 
Quote:

Originally posted by DANGERMOUSE
Notable only for having the longest forearms I can remember seeing on a player.
Sorry, I was thinking of Alex ...?

markholmes1991 23-07-2002 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rob W
Didn't he reappear for the 1st half of one of the cup games at Selhurst. I sure he didn't play too badly - or is my memory getting bad.

Everton at home in 93/94 coca cola cup. Score 4-1 everton! :rolleyes:

Psychokiller 23-07-2002 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by markholmes1991


Everton at home in 93/94 coca cola cup. Score 4-1 everton! :rolleyes:

I seem to remember his every touch being booed....


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.