CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Sport (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Boxing Thread (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102490)

GJN 07-03-2005 12:55 AM

Boxing Thread

Seems to be no general boxing threads. Now, I am not a boxing expert, but I do enjoy watching fights on the BBC, and on Sky, and I would like to see a nice blossoming boxing thread :) I would just like to take this opportunity to congratulate Clinton Woods on winning the (I think) IBF Light Heavyweight title last night.

gold76 07-03-2005 01:10 PM

Congrats to Clinton Woods, wasn't it his 4th crack at the title? The plan is now for Calzaghe to move up & face him should he dispose of Brian Magee. Should make for an interesting fight.

GJN 07-03-2005 11:13 PM

That would be good, as all the big fighters have avoided Calzaghe over the years, especially Sven Otke. On a side note, I wish Audley Harrison would make up his mind as to when he will step up in the quality of his opponants. He is not exactly the youngest boxer around!

gold76 08-03-2005 08:25 AM

I think the only way Audley will establish himself with the punters over here if he fights someone like Danny Williams or Matt Skelton.

redandblue 08-03-2005 08:38 AM

I think that Calzage is a spent force, I did think that Magee was good but reid showed his weaknesses. There are two reasons I think that Calzage has not had teh big fights the first being he will not fly and the second that he is managed by Warren.

I am not sure what will happen with Audly he is talking about signing to Golden Boy (Osca De la Hoya's stable) which will change his fortune and he will probably drop off the British news for a while if this happens where he will be fighting season preformers in the states. Junior Witter (in my eyes the best Britsih pound for pound fighter) is about to announce that he is signing for Golden boy which again will give him a better chance at better titles which is somthing Warren would not give him and somthing that Hennesey were strugerling with. Its wholly possible that Witter will get a major title before Hatton

gold76 18-03-2005 02:36 PM

Well the Calzaghe fight's off, he has to fight Mario Veit again in May. The welcome return of Eamon Magee now takes centre stage, good to see him back, the only man to put Ricky Hatton on the deck.

gold76 09-11-2005 12:28 PM

Well Vitali Klischko's retired. The heavyweight scene is looking dismal right now. The current champions, Lamon Brewster, Chris Byrd, John Ruiz & probably Hasim Rachman couldn't hold a candle to any of the past greats. The only saving grace is that it may give an opportunity to one of the British boys, Skelton, Williams or Harrison should they manage to get a title shot next year.

Beck Eagle 09-11-2005 12:40 PM

The Boxing these days is dire compared to 10-15 years ago,not only do the fighters not seem as good but there also does not seem to be any characters around any more in my opinion , i like Calzaghe but wish he was around when Benn ,Eubank and Watson were waging war. Fave heavyweight was Holyfield ,the division is just a joke these days.

gold76 15-09-2006 12:05 PM

Junior Witter vs DeMarcus Corley for the WBC light-welterweight title tonight on sky. Last chance for Witter, I hope he pulls it off & finally gets his chance to fight Hatton.

GJN 17-09-2006 09:16 PM

Was I the only one who thought it was an odd fight? But nonetheless, well done Junior Witter. Lets see him v Hatton now please :)

LLCOOLSTEVE 17-09-2006 10:46 PM

was a very strange fight....

danibutcher 18-09-2006 04:17 PM

That superman stance was just plain embarrasing, he may have won the fight but he is not a convincing champion.
After Hattons fight against Urango, team hatton are trying to set up a fight between him and Costillo. Should be an exciting 12 months !!

montstar 18-09-2006 04:28 PM

Probably get shot down here but i do love contender, I know they hollywood it up but at least the boxers go for it and theres no real stand-offs, like the witter fight, where they were both waiting for the other to make the first move, or the barrera fight where he stopped boxing for five rounds in the middle of the fight because he knew he was so far in front!

jamesyg0 18-09-2006 07:53 PM

Except the Contender is 5 rounds all or nothing.

ANDYEAGLE 19-09-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GJN
Was I the only one who thought it was an odd fight? But nonetheless, well done Junior Witter. Lets see him v Hatton now please :)
To be honest it sent me to sleep,he needs Hatton more than Hatton needs him although he wants a split of the purse.
Hatton v Cotto is the fight for me, I would gladly pay to see that one.

Great Lombardi 19-09-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by danibutcher
That superman stance was just plain embarrasing, he may have won the fight but he is not a convincing champion.
After Hattons fight against Urango, team hatton are trying to set up a fight between him and Costillo. Should be an exciting 12 months !!

Witter did what was necessary to win the belt, which was understandable. This was possible his last big chance, so I don't blame him for not taking any risks. He is a top class, much avoided fighter who is a worthy champion in my eyes.

Would give Hatton problems, but would probably lose a points decision.

Icy 19-09-2006 10:57 AM

Demarcus Corley was past his best when he fought Witter. In my opinion Hatton has fought better opponents that Witter and will (if they fight), beat the shit out of him.

Great Lombardi 19-09-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Icy
Demarcus Corley was past his best when he fought Witter. In my opinion Hatton has fought better opponents that Witter and will (if they fight), beat the shit out of him.
Hatton doesn't look good against slick counterpunchers like Witter. Louie Collazo was a prime example of this.

danibutcher 19-09-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Great Lombardi
Hatton doesn't look good against slick counterpunchers like Witter. Louie Collazo was a prime example of this.
And Witter don't like close up brawlers like Hatton so there isn't much of a chance of Witter winning (let alone this fight taking place).

danibutcher 19-09-2006 01:43 PM

I'd love a Hatton v Witter fight but not to sure this will happen, its more likely to be Witter v Harris/M'Baye. Also Witter vs Judah II now that would be a good way for Witter to step next, Zab is on the demise and Witter is at the top of his game.