CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Human Depravity (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232494)

eaglejez 11-04-2012 01:38 PM

Human Depravity
 
Just watching a program on Hitler. I've seen and read loads on WW2 and Hitler etc but it absolutely melts the brain that anything like that could have happened especially under 80 years go. The Ghettos, (184 calories per person per day), the extermination of disabled, Jews etc etc.

The mind truly boggles. Such hatred and cruelty (and complete madness !!)

Can there ever have been a worse period in human history ? :(

Il Padrino 11-04-2012 01:41 PM

The timescale is the key thing. I dont understand either, although I'm sure that there are complicated arguments and reasons why, that people who are still alive today bought into that shit

Jules 11-04-2012 01:42 PM

Steven Pinker, in his latest book, makes the (to me) surprising claim that the 20th Century was the least violent ever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Better-A...4151728&sr=1-1

There was an extract in the Sunday paper a while back.

Big Blue Eagle 11-04-2012 01:43 PM

Sadly this sort of stuff goes on today in some forms - just not on mainland Europe, and not on the industrial scale the Nazis created (although some deniers still refuse to accept it.)

old git 11-04-2012 01:44 PM

The majority of Germany went along with it but not through choice.It still seems surprising that about a decade later we were involved in sporting links .

Adlerhorst 11-04-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglejez
Can there ever have been a worse period in human history ? :(

Leopold II of Belgium.

His legacy is worse than Hitler's in that it hardly stopped

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3516965.stm

Il Padrino 11-04-2012 02:05 PM

"I was so moved, Your Excellency, by the people's stories that I took the liberty of promising them that in future you will only kill them for crimes they commit."

Blimey

PalaceMonkey 11-04-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst
Leopold II of Belgium.

His legacy is worse than Hitler's in that it hardly stopped

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3516965.stm

:(

I can never understand what lengths people will go to for money or power.

Adlerhorst 11-04-2012 02:13 PM

The bit I never quite get about Leopold is how basically so few people know about it.

Chocky 11-04-2012 02:13 PM

Never understood why he was allowed on the BBS.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/member.php?u=14412

Mick 11-04-2012 02:52 PM

The problem with the 20th century was that more mechanized ways were developed for killing people. On the Nazis, I've visited Munich and having been to the Bavarian mountains and also to Dachau, it was hard to reconcile such an area of natural beauty with the origin of such human cruelty.

ET1 11-04-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglejez
Just watching a program on Hitler. I've seen and read loads on WW2 and Hitler etc but it absolutely melts the brain that anything like that could have happened especially under 80 years go. The Ghettos, (184 calories per person per day), the extermination of disabled, Jews etc etc.

The mind truly boggles. Such hatred and cruelty (and complete madness !!)

Can there ever have been a worse period in human history ? :(

Agree with these sentiments.

What's really depressing, is that the USSR was even worse.

Dave 11-04-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules
Steven Pinker, in his latest book, makes the (to me) surprising claim that the 20th Century was the least violent ever.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Better-A...4151728&sr=1-1

There was an extract in the Sunday paper a while back.

Don't need to read the article to know its true.

British imperialism killed many millions more than Hitler or Stalin.

Just a thought

Chocky 11-04-2012 03:17 PM

British Imperialism caused the deaths of around 30 million Indians in the 1800s.

But they got some decent roads and shit and the Brits taught them how to make proper curry with rancid meat which they now sell back to us so every cloud and that.

evvo111 11-04-2012 03:40 PM

For killing the largest percentage of their own population I think Pol Pot must be close to the top (or bottom) of the pile.

Scoot 11-04-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
Don't need to read the article to know its true.

British imperialism killed many millions more than Hitler or Stalin.

Just a thought

Dave in anti-Brit claim -- shock

of course many more before and since.
What about the Romans they killed the son of god FFS
One continent .... Africa

Dave 11-04-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoot
Dave in anti-Brit claim -- shock

of course many more before and since.
What about the Romans they killed the son of god FFS
One continent .... Africa

Jews killed Jesus

Fact

Pub Idol 11-04-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoot
Dave in anti-Brit claim -- shock

of course many more before and since.
What about the Romans they killed the son of god FFS
One continent .... Africa


Yep Dave predictably has a pop at the country he lives in again...

How about the Spanish ? they slaughtered stupid amounts in teh americas

Dave 11-04-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pub Idol
Yep Dave predictably has a pop at the country he lives in again...

How about the Spanish ? they slaughtered stupid amounts in teh americas

They, like now, had stds, so not intentional genocide

Also, not Protestant

xmasape 11-04-2012 03:59 PM

North Korea - hell, cannibalism is apparantly common.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.