CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Football (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Football legend Jimmy Greaves suffers severe stroke (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259232)

Deadpool 04-05-2015 12:07 PM

Football legend Jimmy Greaves suffers severe stroke

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...-severe-stroke

Doesn't sound too good for Jimmy :(

BERT'S HEAD 04-05-2015 12:10 PM

Get well soon Jimmy, happy memories of you and the Saint.

DARZET EAGLE 04-05-2015 12:24 PM

A speedy recovery Jimmy, one of the best strikers we have ever produced. All the best to the family at this time.

SJ'sLoveMonkey 04-05-2015 12:30 PM

All the best to him and his family at this difficult time

ExiledStirling 04-05-2015 12:33 PM

Wishing him all the best

Old Joe Paxton 04-05-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE (Post 12368687)
A speedy recovery Jimmy, one of the best strikers we have ever produced. All the best to the family at this time.

A severe stroke so going to be unlikely but let's hope he was seen to quickly, sometimes reversible, sometimes function comes back with therapy and naturally in time.

Very sad. Will never forget the early shows in my youth with Ian St John and the crew cracking up over their jokes

Owngoal 04-05-2015 03:37 PM

Jimmy Greaves was probably the greatest striker not to really get the international recognition he deserved. Gayle could be a lot like him, hanging round the box. Also a great character and I hope he can recover.

dave_who_ru 04-05-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owngoal (Post 12368896)
Jimmy Greaves was probably the greatest striker not to really get the international recognition he deserved. Gayle could be a lot like him, hanging round the box. Also a great character and I hope he can recover.

If Gayle was half as good then we would be very lucky. Greaves was no doubt the greatest English goalscorer in the past 50 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=KTtpd07cIA8

Wishing him and his family a speedy recovery.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE 04-05-2015 03:52 PM

Used to love his witty jokes when I was a kid. So sad. Hope he somehow recovers and gets to enjoy more of his life.

leicester1 04-05-2015 03:54 PM

Amen to that Southgate....come on Jimmy get a recovery on...

917L 04-05-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

He played over 50 times for England, including the World cup

Gayle, couldn't be anything like him he doesn't have 10% of Greaves ability

Wolfnipplechips 04-05-2015 04:01 PM

I met Jimmy last month at a sporting dinner where he spoke for forty five minutes. He gave me his autograph for my boy.

He was amusing and did a good job. His best line was about Jimmy Case. He was explaining what a hard bastard Case was and said his face was all gnarly and covered in warts etc. He said he hit a football at his face once and it got stuck.:D

Get well soon Jimmy.

PeterH 04-05-2015 05:34 PM

All the best Mr Greaves.

art malice 04-05-2015 05:38 PM

The Omen 04-05-2015 05:59 PM

What a record

Quote:

Greaves scored 266 goals in 379 matches for Tottenham, with whom he collected two FA Cup winners medals in 1962 and 1967. He was also part of their side that lifted the European Cup-Winners’ Cup in 1963.

During his international career he scored 44 goals in 57 appearances and was part of the England squad which won the World Cup on home soil in 1966.
Get well soon Jimmy

N Herts Eagle 04-05-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Checked this its 57 games in which he scored 44 goals with a record of 6 hat tricks , something like the 4th highest scorer for England. Began his career as a teenager in 59 and retired in 67. He fell victim to injury in the World Cup of 66 when Hurst came in and scored despite being fit he missed the final. It really also ended his International career playing only 3 times more. Until then he was the number one choice.
He was not though an Alf Ramsey favourite and retired himself in 1967 refusing to be a fringe player. I think its also fair to say Jimmy was not a big fan of Ramsey.
In his prime he was one of the great natural goal scorers with a few other Law Charles Baker led a move to Italy driven by the wages then on offer. Soon though was back in England and Spurs having failed to settle and the abolition of the max wage in England. His record Chelsea as a teenager young striker 124 goals in 157 appearences 9 goals in 12 games in Italy for Milan. Then 220 in 321 games for Spurs. In my early years of following football I cannot think over ten years a more prolific striker.
He was not a Pele or Eusebio because of the failure injury in that 66 World Cup. But remember also he played in the 62 World Cup in four games and scored only once. Best remembered for his capture of a dog than his goal scoring from that competition.
From my perspective a great player his career for Spurs finished on the pitch at Selhurst in the 1-0 Cup victory over Spurs he never played for them again.
He was though without doubt a great character TV with Ian St John and then the after dinner speeches which I saw him on a great entertaining and insightful speech particularly regarding England and Bobby Moore.
Your probably right in differing circumstances and a differing manager he may of been more Internationally known but within England he was always a star throughout the late 50's and through the whole of the 60's

Harry Bassett 04-05-2015 06:24 PM

I first watched Jimmy playing for Chelsea when they had a fantastic youth side when he along with players like Peter Brabrook David Cliss (who was the star man at a young age). Greaves went on to be a superstar and must have been gutted when he lost out to Roger Hunt in 1966.

Soon after he returned from Italy and Joined Spurs he lost a youngster to cot death.

How he would get on in today's game I am not sure .. not a grafter but a great player.

Going back to Brabrook who spent most of his career at West Ham,one of my mates playing for Palace against him was asked the question about facing Brabrook and said have you tried marking an express train.

Come on Jim another victory is needed.

SE25 exile 04-05-2015 06:41 PM

Great player and so good on the ball, like Don Rogers, but a more prolific goal scorer.

Wasn't he the first million pound player?

Breaking rocks 04-05-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SE25 exile (Post 12369057)
Great player and so good on the ball, like Don Rogers, but a more prolific goal scorer.

Wasn't he the first million pound player?

No, that was tricky trevor

Bernard Shakey 04-05-2015 06:45 PM

44 goals in 57 international appearances.

I doubt it has or ever will be bettered.

Get well soon Jimmy.

Genius.