CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Sky Q (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263818)

Phil's Barber 09-02-2016 10:53 PM

Sky Q

Sky have launched a new service called Sky Q which is 4k ready (4k arriving 2016) There are some other new features too:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/sky-skyq/

Anyone else tempted?

ellioteagle1 09-02-2016 11:06 PM

Nope. Nothing original in there at all really. Netflix and Amazon already have 4K as does Bt sport. Who needs to record 4 things at once? Demand now means you don't need to record anything. Sounds like Sky's playing catchup and not being original to me.

Palace121 09-02-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellioteagle1 (Post 12811898)
Nope. Nothing original in there at all really. Netflix and Amazon already have 4K as does Bt sport. Who needs to record 4 things at once? Demand now means you don't need to record anything. Sounds like Sky's playing catchup and not being original to me.

Most critics seem to disagree with you.

We often have programs clash so an extra tuner is definitely handy. 4 never hurt anyone. I don't always want to remember to have to download from on demand.

I'm tempted by the ability to view your recorded programs anywhere on your tablet etc. Nice touch.

NO1FAN 09-02-2016 11:20 PM

I haven't paid for sky for years but I must admit this will probably tempt me in the future when I do renovations to the house.

PalaceMonkey 10-02-2016 09:24 AM

other than installation fee, it'd only cost me 1.50 a month more than currently.

though may only be available for Sky broadband folk at the moment, just finding out

Phil's Barber 10-02-2016 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 12812136)
other than installation fee, it'd only cost me 1.50 a month more than currently.

though may only be available for Sky broadband folk at the moment, just finding out

Same for me, which is what makes it so tempting. Downside is you're signed up for 18 months and I know I am already paying over the odds.

PalaceMonkey 10-02-2016 10:43 AM

I read that they need to swap something over on the dish, mine is really hard to get to, so would probably get charged extra for that.

couldn't get through to the sky chat people, so still don't know if available for BT broadband

Phil's Barber 10-02-2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 12812213)
I read that they need to swap something over on the dish, mine is really hard to get to, so would probably get charged extra for that.

couldn't get through to the sky chat people, so still don't know if available for BT broadband

Looks like non-Sky broadband subscribers cannot sign up straight away and some confusion about how long until they can. Some saying a week but some saying never.

Forums here:http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/bd-p/skyq

NO1FAN 10-02-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 12812213)

The lnb on the sky dish will need to be changed to add the extra tuners.

MasterYoda 12-02-2016 03:32 PM

if they could move my content from existing box to the new one they'd have a sale....

PalaceMonkey 12-02-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil's Barber (Post 12812223)
Looks like non-Sky broadband subscribers cannot sign up straight away and some confusion about how long until they can. Some saying a week but some saying never.

Forums here:http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/bd-p/skyq

I doubt it'd be never, Sky Q isn't that groundbreaking

chrisophiex 12-02-2016 08:27 PM

Will it make American comedies any funnier ?

Phil's Barber 12-02-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalaceMonkey (Post 12815578)
I doubt it'd be never, Sky Q isn't that groundbreaking

Agree. Looking like early March from their forums.

My dish is up on my chimney, anyone know if they will charge more to go up there?

EDIT: Bitten the bullet and signed up.

OneSize 13-02-2016 09:51 AM

I have had the training already and although it's pretty cool, it offers nothing more than a new menu and wireless multi room boxes. It's like an Xbox one when it first came out. Great bit of kit but no games for it. Once the apps are developed I'm sure it will be good. Saying all that I am still on the waiting let to get it installed ��

OneSize 13-02-2016 09:52 AM

Going to a dish on a chimney is no extra cost

Martin H 13-02-2016 11:00 AM

We have 2 boxes and often find 4 things recording at peak times and so 4 recording is good. I think.... . You can also watch 3 different live channels on TV s around the house and even more on tablets etc which should cater for most people. This should mean we can replace our 2 boxes with the silver Q and a mini.downgrades our storage from 3tb to 2tb but should be OK until 4I content I guess.

Bad thing re storage is you can only have one box and can't combine old and new systems and so 2to/4k.might be challenging for some.

What I struggle with is they expect us to pay another 12 min on average for incremental features that I can now get elsewhere (from a distance at least. I just wonder if they have failed to understand the market situation and may find they market 4k only for others to benefit due to pricing. They have always been arrogant but mostly right. Not sure this time???

New Ground 13-02-2016 11:15 AM

Is the cost of this on top of your current channels and boxes?

little al 13-02-2016 01:24 PM

Its Sky so you are all tossers for even thinking of giving them your cash.

OneSize 13-02-2016 01:51 PM

Even though you are getting less storage space, the q silver compresses recordings better. What would be a 10% download on the current box will be 2% on the silver. There are 11 streams through the box so potentially you could get more recordings in the future.

Also because the boxes have built in power lines, you can plug an Ethernet from your sky box to a Xbox or ps to get high speed broadband

Martin H 13-02-2016 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Ground (Post 12816440)
Is the cost of this on top of your current channels and boxes?

They 'estimate' that most current subscribers would pay 12 per month more than their current subscription. So it would depend on what you already have. No idea of the detail. You can't use your old boxes alongside your new ones though.

Not heard about that compression difference. Sounds odd but encouraging if true. The big kicker will be 4k recordings though which I would have thought would be significantly larger - hence needing that compression.