CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   World of Football (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Video assistant referee trial (https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273503)

palacelad197o 04-01-2018 07:55 PM

Video assistant referee trial

Video Assistant Referees (VARs) will be trialled in the FA Cup third-round tie between Brighton and Crystal Palace on January 8 and the EFL Cup semi-final between Arsenal and Chelsea on January 10 and 24

So it has to be written in the stars that zaha will win a penalty and they appeal via the VAR

What other outcomes could happen do you think :-) ?

Will this or improve football ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...explained.html

917L 04-01-2018 08:04 PM

Teams don't have right of appeal though, do they?

It's only if the VAR ref tells the ref on the pitch has f*cked up

Dorking .Eagle 04-01-2018 08:13 PM

It's Neil Swarbrick, assisted by Peter Kirkup

palacelad197o 04-01-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 917L (Post 14032811)
Teams don't have right of appeal though, do they?

It's only if the VAR ref tells the ref on the pitch has f*cked up

so if the ref fecks up and the var fecks up we are fecked

AJ 04-01-2018 08:29 PM

So we just need to hack the comms system?

art malice 04-01-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle (Post 14032827)
It's Neil Swarbrick, assisted by Peter Kirkup

Classic

Fatboy 04-01-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palacelad197o (Post 14032841)
so if the ref fecks up and the var fecks up we are fecked

They will probably play back Emmerdale by mistake.

art malice 04-01-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatboy (Post 14032884)
They will probably play back Emmerdale by mistake.

Peppa Pig

Jim's Cannon 04-01-2018 11:15 PM

Yep. True to form Sky just said during the Spurs v WH game that you can see it in action for the first time next week during the Carabao Cup games. Games that aren't on Sky simply don't exist!

palacelad197o 05-01-2018 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim's Cannon (Post 14033214)
Yep. True to form Sky just said during the Spurs v WH game that you can see it in action for the first time next week during the Carabao Cup games. Games that aren't on Sky simply don't exist!

Lol

Vince Hilaire's Afro 05-01-2018 05:49 AM

I'm presuming the VAR is able to determine whether or not thuggish centre backs should have been sent off better than regular officials can?

cpfc4evandeva 05-01-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by art malice (Post 14032951)
Peppa Pig

Is Mutch definitely playing? :hmph:

Kirby 05-01-2018 11:21 AM

The only thing they can really use it for is blatant offsides that lead to goals or blatant acts of violence off the ball.

If the VAR starts flagging up random fouls/potential handballs then we'll have a hundred stoppages per game.

They've already trialled it in the international youth tournaments and foreign cup competitions and it's proved to be a right mess. The other night in the Juve vs Torino game the VAR flagged a blatant foul in the lead up to Juve's second goal. The ref ran over, watched a replay and still deemed it wasn't a foul. It couldn't have been more obvious.

They still manage to get the decisions wrong even after spending an age watching a replay, which is why it can only be used for definite offsides that lead directly to goals or off the ball acts of violence IMO.

cpfc4evandeva 05-01-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby (Post 14033747)
The only thing they can really use it for is blatant offsides that lead to goals or blatant acts of violence off the ball.

If the VAR starts flagging up random fouls/potential handballs then we'll have a hundred stoppages per game.

They've already trialled it in the international youth tournaments and foreign cup competitions and it's proved to be a right mess. The other night in the Juve vs Torino game the VAR flagged a blatant foul in the lead up to Juve's second goal. The ref ran over, watched a replay and still deemed it wasn't a foul. It couldn't have been more obvious.

They still manage to get the decisions wrong even after spending an age watching a replay, which is why it can only be used for definite offsides or acts of violence IMO.

This is why I’m against the idea in general. Goaline tech works because it is automated and takes a split second. My fear is that using video replays will kill the game I love.

It’s made rugby more of a chore for me. Simple decisions now often go to the video ref and makes the game far more drawn out. It also kind of kills celebration. A team will go over for a try, there’s celebration, and then within a second the ref goes upstairs and everything stops. 30 seconds (if you’re lucky) later the ref confirms it’s a try and then there’s a less passionate cheer.

It’s just less fun.

palacelad197o 05-01-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 14033760)
This is why I’m against the idea in general. Goaline tech works because it is automated and takes a split second. My fear is that using video replays will kill the game I love.

It’s made rugby more of a chore for me. Simple decisions now often go to the video ref and makes the game far more drawn out. It also kind of kills celebration. A team will go over for a try, there’s celebration, and then within a second the ref goes upstairs and everything stops. 30 seconds (if you’re lucky) later the ref confirms it’s a try and then there’s a less passionate cheer.

It’s just less fun.

Maybe good if they limit it to penalty's or offsides and fouls that created a goal

Shipp Ahoy! 05-01-2018 11:58 AM

Can't stand the whole referee running over to the side of the pitch to watch a replay on a titchy monitor, then running back onto the pitch and finally giving the decision.

Feels so amateur.

Only way something like this works for me is like they do it in Rugby when they show the decisions on the big screens and ref goes by that. Problem is, Rugby is a lot more clear cut and the respect means one player argues afterwards they are in big trouble! Could you just imagine it for a 50/50 decision in a footy game how the players would react once the referee makes his decision!

Offsides it would work for, this is clear cut. Pause it at the second the ball is played and have that line they use during Sky matches - then the writing can appear on the screen showing ONSIDE or OFFSIDE, no arguing then.

Things like penalties/handballs etc however are always going to be more problematic - unless it becomes a case of asking a simplistic questions such as contact or no contact.

MasterYoda 05-01-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim's Cannon (Post 14033214)

During the Man City game they did mention it after the penalty decision.

Spindle 05-01-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ (Post 14032875)
So we just need to hack the comms system?

Sadly, although I suspect it will be completely un-encrypted, the ref at the game needs to watch a replay himself as confirmation.

Spindle 05-01-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpfc4evandeva (Post 14033760)

It’s just less fun.

Sure, but it will level the playing field because we know that big teams get the favours, especially at home. This will help us be sure.

Kirby 05-01-2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindle (Post 14033883)
Sure, but it will level the playing field because we know that big teams get the favours, especially at home. This will help us be sure.

The refs will still be biased, even after seeing the replay.

Watch the highlights from Juve vs Torino the other night.

It can only be used for clear offsides or deliberate acts of violence off the ball. It just doesn't work on matters of opinion.