CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Depeche Mode confirm new album news. (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95370)

jordanismygod 16-11-2004 10:59 PM

Depeche Mode confirm new album news.

"The band will be collectively gathering in Santa Barbara in early December, along with Daniel Miller, Jonathan Kessler and producer Ben Hillier. In January 2005, after a holiday break, the band will start work on their new album."

Finally after many rumours that the band would split up.
This was mainly due to Dave Gahan expressing his desire to write songs for the new album.

jordanismygod 17-01-2005 11:09 PM

the band will start work on their new album with producer Ben Hillier on Monday, January 17th. The sessions will start in Santa Barbara, and will later move on to New York and London - similar to what they did with "Exciter".

Sussex Eagle 17-01-2005 11:13 PM

:sob: My poor ears!

as216 17-01-2005 11:17 PM

I have the '86-'96 best of - would be interesting to hear some new stuff.

jordanismygod 11-04-2005 03:38 PM

Depeche Mode are currently in Santa Barbara, California recording their first studio album since 2001's, 'Exciter', due for release this Autumn.

2004 ended on a high for Depeche Mode, generated largely by the success of their remix album, 'Depeche Mode Remixes 81-04' which sold over 1 million copies worldwide and produced the top 10 single, 'Enjoy The Silence' remixed by Mike Shinoda.

The new album is being co-produced by Depeche Mode and Ben Hillier, whose credits include Elbow's 'Cast Of Thousands' album, the current acclaimed Doves release, 'Some Cities' and Blur's classic, 'Think Tank'.

"It's a great feeling to be back together in the studio again and we are very excited about the new material", says Dave Gahan. "We are all feeling incredibly positive about the album. Ben Hillier has brought a whole new dynamic to the group which is quite inspiring."

Joe Knight 11-04-2005 03:42 PM

that is encouraging news...

keep the updates coming:p

palace_crystal 11-04-2005 03:47 PM

This is good news :)

Fide et Fiducia 11-04-2005 03:48 PM

:D :D

Pidster 11-04-2005 08:52 PM

Re: Depeche Mode confirm new album news.

Quote:

Originally posted by jordanismygod
"The band will be collectively gathering in Santa Barbara in early December, along with Daniel Miller, Jonathan Kessler and producer Ben Hillier. In January 2005, after a holiday break, the band will start work on their new album."

Finally after many rumours that the band would split up.
This was mainly due to Dave Gahan expressing his desire to write songs for the new album.

Bastards...so far I've had such a good year.

Die, you weasel faced talentless bastards, die.

jellybean 11-04-2005 09:07 PM

:lux:

can't wait

Pidster 11-04-2005 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by palace_crystal
This is good news :)
Possibly... but not for music.

David of Kent 11-04-2005 09:11 PM

I know he was "chief musician" as opposed to "writer" but I've not liked any of their stuff since Alan Wilder left

gold76 12-04-2005 12:11 PM

I feel you is a great track, Ultra's a good listen too..

paf 12-04-2005 12:13 PM

excellent news, the basildon boys are back, cant wait to hear the new stuff and catch some more gigs.

Sure JJ and Miss Chief will be equally pleased.

ROCK'N'ROLL 12-04-2005 12:25 PM

Not sure myself on their newer stuff. A bit like Gary Numan did as well, the music has gone off on a bit of a tangent for my tastes. Both their earlier music was all about those beautiful synths singing those amazing melodies. There is no doubt that Depeche Mode ruled under Vince Clarke.

Andy, you really want to get '81-'85. That's where the magic is.

Dreaming of Me
New Life
Just Can't Get Enough
Everything Counts
Photographic

Awesome, awesome stuff.

Alternatively get the 'Speak and Spell' album. It's Great!

ROCK'N'ROLL 12-04-2005 12:27 PM

Ooh, I just remembered the end of 'New Life' when the boys do the 'Twist and Shout' four part harmony and then crack into that Synth line.

I've got goosebumps just thinking about it.

oscarthecat 12-04-2005 08:36 PM

Sussex Eagle 13-04-2005 01:28 PM

http://dave.ulo.us/dave_head_wow.jpg

"I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode are a sweet band"

El Aguila 13-04-2005 01:38 PM

Re: Re: Depeche Mode confirm new album news.

Quote:

Originally posted by Pidster
Bastards...so far I've had such a good year.

Die, you weasel faced talentless bastards, die.

Remind me to tell you the story about me, Andy Fletcher and Dennis Wise over a bottle, one day.

Miss Chief 13-04-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
excellent news, the basildon boys are back, cant wait to hear the new stuff and catch some more gigs.

Sure JJ and Miss Chief will be equally pleased.

She sure is equally and extremely pleased. Thanks paf. There's been speculation for quite some time but thrilled it's actually happening. Bless those Basildon Boys!

Where is JJ nowadays? Haven't heard from him in a while. JJ, if you are out there give us a sign.

If I had to specify, I'm a Martin Gore/Alan Wilder girl when it comes to Depeche eras; the more industrial electro slashing/beating/sampling anything sound with thought-provoking lyrics to accompany, but adore and collect everything that they produce. Can't wait to go to some gigs.

Vince Clarke must be proud as punch at the moment with 'Just Can't Get Enough' being re-jigged and played on numerous telly ads; wahey!

David of Kent 14-04-2005 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Miss Chief
If I had to specify, I'm a Martin Gore/Alan Wilder girl when it comes to Depeche eras; the more industrial electro slashing/beating/sampling anything sound with thought-provoking lyrics to accompany, but adore and collect everything that they produce. Can't wait to go to some gigs.

Vince Clarke must be proud as punch at the moment with 'Just Can't Get Enough' being re-jigged and played on numerous telly ads; wahey!

When I went to see them live, most Mode fans hated the Vince Clarke era. I don't like much from that time either.

paf 15-04-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

tis by French arty types Nouvelle Vague, their album also includes covers of The Clash, Sisters, Cure etc..... they claim they are the first people to do a Bossa Nova cover of "Just Can't GEt Enough", you dont say?

http://www.nouvellesvagues.com

Miss Chief 15-04-2005 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
tis by French arty types Nouvelle Vague, their album also includes covers of The Clash, Sisters, Cure etc..... they claim they are the first people to do a Bossa Nova cover of "Just Can't GEt Enough", you dont say?

http://www.nouvellesvagues.com

I do indeed own the album since SF enlightened me about it; it rather arty-type tickles me actually. The version of The Forest by The Cure is quite funky too.

Apart from the Vauxhall ad, the original track has also been used to try and sexy up something to do with dull daytime telly on ITV and somewhere else but can't remember off hand.

Makes a change from the smorgasbord of Personal Jesus remixes anyhow.

Sussex Eagle 15-04-2005 01:01 PM

I do rather like Nouvelle Vague. Their version of 'Guns of Brixton' is top, made it all sultry and froggy. Bit of a silly name though. Surely it sounds crap to a Frenchman?

Pidster 15-04-2005 01:06 PM

whoops.

Pidster 15-04-2005 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Depeche Mode confirm new album news.

Quote:

Originally posted by El Aguila
Remind me to tell you the story about me, Andy Fletcher and Dennis Wise over a bottle, one day.
tease.

Sussex Eagle 15-04-2005 01:10 PM

That's what I mean. It's like a british band naming themselves after a famous british artistic movement. Just calling themselves 'Punk' or something. Surely the phrase 'Nouvelle Vague' has too much invested meaning (wrapped around Truffaut and his Cahiers du Cinema pals) in France to make much sense as a band name?

Miss Chief 15-04-2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
I do rather like Nouvelle Vague. Their version of 'Guns of Brixton' is top, made it all sultry and froggy. Bit of a silly name though. Surely it sounds crap to a Frenchman?
Yeah, good point, but then I always thought that the Depeche Mode translation of Hurry up/Fast Fashion must be pretty strange for the French too; it doesn't express that magic...err.. je ne sais quoi. Didn't put them off though.

Miss Chief 15-04-2005 01:46 PM

Oh and on the topic of DM music being used on telly, I've recently heard Rush and Walking in my Shoes played too; always makes me tingle.

Pidster 15-04-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

I always thought that the Depeche Mode translation of Hurry up/Fast Fashion must be pretty strange for the French too; it doesn't express that magic...err.. je ne sais quoi. Didn't put them off though.
The Mister Byrites of music?

:)

Maz 15-04-2005 01:48 PM

Good Post

(Oh sorry, I thought you were Monty...)

Joe Knight 15-04-2005 01:55 PM

Quote:

Oh and on the topic of DM music being used on telly, I've recently heard Rush and Walking in my Shoes played too; always makes me tingle.
And also, on BBC breakfast, the music used to introduce the fat bloke on his election tour is a DM remix of In your room.

suppose you have to be a bit of a geek fan to know that:p

MikeyDread 17-04-2005 03:55 PM

Re: Depeche Mode confirm new album news.

Quote:

Drats, and I had been Enjoying the Silence too :p

Miss Chief 20-04-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Knight
And also, on BBC breakfast, the music used to introduce the fat bloke on his election tour is a DM remix of In your room.

suppose you have to be a bit of a geek fan to know that:p

Noticed that this morning. Additionally, Dream On is being used for the highlights of The Crucible.

(Taxi for Miss Chief!)

paf 18-05-2005 03:57 PM

check this new remix of 'here is the house' by Gabriel and Dresden, destined for their new album 'Bloom' it was pulled/banned so they've replaced it with a version by Andain (same thing, female vocalist), very nice it is too...

http://www.depeche-mode.com/forum/in...=Bootleg+Mixes

for the new mix.

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/156351-01.htm

for the new G&D album snippets.

jordanismygod 27-05-2005 01:12 PM

The new issue of Q has a brief feature on DM in the studio!

Working titles include: Pain, Suffer Well, Everything, Free, Sinner In Me and Macro.

Brief interview with Dave who is pleased with how well things are going. He says everyone is getting on really well. He also says how when they were making Exciter "it all felt a bit dead. This time we're all pulling together a lot more"

He describes the album as somewhere between Violator and SOFAD. "With Depeche Mode there's always that darkness in there."

"At the same time there's hopefulness. Out of despair and suffering comes something good."

Dave says they are looking forward to recording in NY. "There's only so much sunshine you can take when you're singing songs about pain and suffering"

jordanismygod 27-05-2005 05:24 PM

The band will be making a special announcement on June 16th, at a press conference in Dusseldorf.

daz_eagle 27-05-2005 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sussex Eagle
http://dave.ulo.us/dave_head_wow.jpg

"I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think Depeche Mode are a sweet band"

:D :p

jellybean 28-05-2005 09:58 AM

:p I Can't wait for the album to come out, hope there is a tour too.

:p :p :p

Miss Chief 28-05-2005 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
check this new remix of 'here is the house' by Gabriel and Dresden, destined for their new album 'Bloom' it was pulled/banned so they've replaced it with a version by Andain (same thing, female vocalist), very nice it is too...

http://www.depeche-mode.com/forum/in...=Bootleg+Mixes

for the new mix.

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/156351-01.htm

for the new G&D album snippets.

paf, downloading takes forever over here and 'Here is the House' is one of my all time faves so will you burn it on CD for me, please?

Three days until Tallinn, wahey, will see what DM treats I can find.

(For anyone else reading this, if you don't already know, there is a DM Bar in Tallinn which was opened a few years ago by a fanatic- it's DM Mecca musically and visually- you should give it a visit sometime).

paf 13-06-2005 02:40 PM

finally found this thread via google, the bloomin search is off line :)

Anyways.......

Tour starts in the States in the Autumn and then it looks like a January start for the European leg in Dusseldorf. Full list is out THursday as somebody has already mentioned.

other dates, Paris in Feb and they will also headline the Rock AM twin festival in Nurburg in June. I've had a gutful of Wembley arena and will be planning to see them somewhere in Europe instead.

http://www.depeche-mode.com/images/tourposter.jpg

Neil the Eagle 13-06-2005 10:51 PM

The man who confesses to like Rush, really shouldn't start being Sarky on here.

Or is it another Video game I've not heard of?

Neil the Eagle 13-06-2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
then it looks like a January start for the European leg in Dusseldorf.
I'm deffo up for that, providing it don't clash with Palace.

paf 14-06-2005 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
I'm deffo up for that, providing it don't clash with Palace.
Pete and Sam are up for a European venue instead of Wembley Arena too Neil, be a nice little trip :p Dusseldorf is a 50,000 job Neil, want somewhere smaller surely?

Neil the Eagle 14-06-2005 08:57 AM

Yeah you are probably right, but it would have been good to see the first night though.

Keep me in touch.

Miss Chief 14-06-2005 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
finally found this thread via google, the bloomin search is off line :)

Anyways.......

Tour starts in the States in the Autumn and then it looks like a January start for the European leg in Dusseldorf. Full list is out THursday as somebody has already mentioned.

other dates, Paris in Feb and they will also headline the Rock AM twin festival in Nurburg in June. I've had a gutful of Wembley arena and will be planning to see them somewhere in Europe instead.

http://www.depeche-mode.com/images/tourposter.jpg

The PVC dress is already packed. I'd be up for going to the German festival and seeing them in Paris. :lux:

paf 14-06-2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

The PVC dress is already packed. I'd be up for going to the German festival and seeing them in Paris. :lux:
Festival perhaps, but please not Paris, it smells and it's boring. I was thinking somewhere East?

Miss Chief 14-06-2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
Festival perhaps, but please not Paris, it smells and it's boring. I was thinking somewhere East?
Anywhere is good with me- we'll know more on Thursday and can get excited then. I like Paris, though, but I understand that you won't be able to get very cheap beer there (disguised behind the words 'it smells and it's boring').

paf 14-06-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Anywhere is good with me- we'll know more on Thursday and can get excited then. I like Paris, though, but I understand that you won't be able to get very cheap beer there (disguised behind the words 'it smells and it's boring').
Okay, Paris has expensive beer and I'm boring and smell :D Plus Neil might want to drive and he'll suddenly pullover, whip out a duvet and be snoring before I've even undone my seatbelt.

Neil the Eagle 14-06-2005 09:51 AM

Sorry Sam, but Paul is right about Paris. It smells something awful - the Seine must be the smelliest river in Europe.

Fingers crossed here for a Baltic State.

Miss Chief 14-06-2005 09:58 AM

Quote:

Sorry Sam, but Paul is right about Paris. It smells something awful - the Seine must be the smelliest river in Europe.

Fingers crossed here for a Baltic State.

Okay, okay, Paris it isn't. Yeah, a Baltic State would be brilliant; we might even bump into your mate, Toot. :D Twenty to...

daz_eagle 14-06-2005 04:54 PM

Quote:

The man who confesses to like Rush, really shouldn't start being Sarky on here.

Or is it another Video game I've not heard of?

What are you on about?! Anyone who knows anything about musicianship respects Rush. Plus, I wasn't being sarky, I was laughing at Sussex Eagles quotation from the film Orgasmo, which was funny.

I like Depeche Mode (i don't wanna sound like a queer or nuthin' though).

paf 16-06-2005 01:09 PM

Depeche Mode World Tour
(Dusseldorf, Germany, June 16th)
Depeche Mode today announce their 2005 - 2006 World Tour, their first in almost five years. The band will be showcasing tracks from their eagerly anticipated new album (produced by Ben Hillier), as well as performing some of their greatest hits.

One of the biggest bands in the world today, and renowned for their groundbreaking live performances, this Depeche Mode concert series will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of touring.

Prior to their European tour, Depeche Mode will undertake a six week American tour this autumn, before heading to Europe in 2006.

Depeche Mode last toured in 2001 with "Exciter". The band played an incredible 85 shows to sellout audiences of nearly two million peopl

January 2006
Fri, Jan 13th, 2006
Dresden, Germany

Sun, Jan 15th, 2006
Hamburg, Germany
Color Line Arena On Sale: 6/24/05

Wed, Jan 18th, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Velodrom On Sale: 6/24/05

Fri, Jan 20th, 2006
Dusseldorf, Germany
LTU Arena On Sale: 6/24/05

Mon, Jan 23rd, 2006
Prague, Czech Republic
Sazka Arena On Sale: 9/1/05

Tue, Jan 24th, 2006
Erfurt, Germany
Messehalle On Sale: 6/24/05

Thur, Jan 26th, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
Festhalle On Sale: 6/24/05

Sun, Jan 29th, 2006
Antwerp, Belgium
Sports Paleis On Sale: 6/17/05

Tue, Jan 31st, 2006
Geneva, Switzerland
Arena On Sale: 6/20/05 (pre-sale 6/16/05)

February 2006
Wed, Feb 2nd, 2006
Marseille, France
Le Dome On Sale: 6/24/05

Fri, Feb 3rd, 2006
Toulouse, France
Zenith On Sale: 6/24/05

Sat, Feb 4th, 2006
Lyon, France
Tony Garnier On Sale: 6/24/05

Madrid, Spain
Palacio Deportes On Sale: 6/30/05

Wed, Feb 8th, 2006
Lisbon, Portugal
Pavilhao Atlantico On Sale: 6/17/05

Fri, Feb 10th, 2006
Barcelona, Spain
Palau Sant Jordi On Sale: 7/7/05

Tue, Feb 14th, 2006
Munich, Germany
Olympiahalle On Sale: 6/24/05

Thur, Feb 16th, 2006
Vienna, Austria
Stadthalle On Sale: 6/24/05

Sat, Feb 18th, 2006
Milan, Italy
Forum On Sale: 9/12/05

Tue, Feb 21st, 2006
Paris, France
Bercy On Sale: 9/12/05

Sat, Feb 25th, 2006
Copenhagen, Denmark
Parken Stadium On Sale: 9/5/05

March 2006
Fri, Mar 3rd, 2006
St Petersburg, Russia

Sat, Mar 4th, 2006
Moscow, Russia
Luzhniki On Sale: November '05

Thur, Mar 9th, 2006
Stuttgart, Germany
Schleyerhalle On Sale: 6/24/05

Fri, Mar 10th, 2006
Friedrichshafen, Germany

Sat, Mar 11th, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
SAP Arena On Sale: 6/24/05

Mon, Mar 13th, 2006
Graz, Austria

Tue, Mar 14th, 2006
Katowice, Poland
Spodek On Sale: 6/20/05

Thur, Mar 16th, 2006
Tallinn, Estonia
Saku Arena On Sale: 6/20/05

Fri, Mar 17th, 2006
Riga, Latvia
New Arena On Sale: 6/27/05

Vilinus, Lithuania
Siemens Arena On Sale: 9/12/05
Order Details:

Tue, Mar 21st, 2006
Budapest, Hungary
Arena On Sale: 7/01/05

Wed, Mar 22nd, 2006
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Hala Tivoli On Sale: 9/05/05

Fri, Mar 24th, 2006
Amneville, France
Galaxie On Sale: 6/24/05

Sat, Mar 25th, 2006
Douai, France
Gayant Expo On Sale: 6/24/05

Sun, Mar 26th, 2006
Rotterdam, Holland
Ahoy On Sale: 6/18/05

Zurich, Switzerland
Hallenstadion On Sale: 6/20/05

Thur, Mar 30th, 2006
Manchester, England
MEN Arena On Sale: 6/16/05 (dm.com pre-sale) / 6/24/05 (general public)
Order Details:
www - www.getlive.co.uk/depechemode/
phone - 0870 400 0688

Fri, Mar 31st, 2006
Birmingham, England
NEC On Sale: 6/16/05 (dm.com pre-sale) / 6/24/05 (general public)
Order Details:
phone - 0870 400 0688

Mon, Apr 3rd, 2006
Wembley, England
Arena On Sale: 6/16/05 (dm.com pre-sale) / 6/24/05 (general public)
Order Details:
phone - 0870 400 0688

Miss Chief 16-06-2005 01:17 PM

IT'S OFFICIAL: The Basildon Boys are back!

The tickets for Wembley Arena on the 3rd April have gone on sale today, but only through the DM website until 24th June- so go see! (Yes, paf, I am going to the Wembley gig too- objection overruled!)

Neil and Paul- there's a smorgasbord of German dates in January and tickets go on sale from the 24th June. Also, there is a gig at the Saku Arena in Tallinn on 16th March- the thought does tickle me tremendously, Riga on 17th or Vilnius on 18th or Poland perhaps?? Decisions, decisions... I'd definately fancy a gig at the start of the tour, then a midwayTallinn, Tallinn, Tallinn!!!!

jordanismygod 16-06-2005 05:13 PM

Ordered my tickets for Wembley.
Will be good to go there as the venue is having a 35 million overhaul.

oscarthecat 16-06-2005 05:34 PM

Same here. Can't wait

Neil the Eagle 16-06-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by daz_eagle
What are you on about?! Anyone who knows anything about musicianship respects Rush. Plus, I wasn't being sarky, I was laughing at Sussex Eagles quotation from the film Orgasmo, which was funny.

I like Depeche Mode (i don't wanna sound like a queer or nuthin' though).

Different strokes and all that. I admit to a problem where Rush are concerned.

They were my schoolpal's favourite band and I've heard plenty of them. Whilst they weren't really my cup of tea, I love seeing bands live, so certainly wasn't adverse to accompanying him to see them in the early 1980's.

Sadly, it is still ranks as my worst all-time gig (and I once saw Climie Fisher live). They could be best musicians in the world, but they turned their songs into dirges, almost unrecognisable from the record, and they went on for ages - noodling inbetween songs almost totally oblivious to those that had come to see them. The arena was less than half-full, mainly hippies and hard-core metallers, who sat through the whole thing, showing no emotion other than clapping politely when they stopped noodling.

It still remains the most sterile gig I have ever been to and the cost was nearly £20 in 1980! Never have I been less moved or felt more conned by a band.

Sorry, had to vent, back on topic.

- Germany, The Baltics, Slovenia, Krakow, Budapest, Rotterdam, Graz = good for me, providing no Palace clash
- Katowice, Zurich, Prague or anywhere we can't get a cheapo flight to = less keen
- Paris or anywhere else in France = Non
- Willing to be persuaded about Spain & Portugal, but the wrong sort of vibe for DM if you know what I mean.
- Undecided about Wembley yet - I can't stand the place (not helped by the above experience), but it is local.

paf 17-06-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

- Germany, The Baltics, Slovenia, Krakow, Budapest, Rotterdam, Graz = good for me, providing no Palace clash
- Katowice, Zurich, Prague or anywhere we can't get a cheapo flight to = less keen
- Paris or anywhere else in France = Non
- Willing to be persuaded about Spain & Portugal, but the wrong sort of vibe for DM if you know what I mean.
- Undecided about Wembley yet - I can't stand the place (not helped by the above experience), but it is local.

ditto. might pop down to Wembley as it is local, my birthday is January, we could do a trip around then to Germany perhaps. Frankfurt is a cheap and cheerful one, Graz is also cheap.

jellybean 17-06-2005 01:10 PM

How much are the tickets for wembley please ?

jordanismygod 18-06-2005 10:46 AM

£30 plus booking fee.

Got mine for Wembley on thursday. Not great seats as i was out all day and didn't order them till about 4pm

paf 18-06-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

£30 plus booking fee.

Got mine for Wembley on thursday. Not great seats as i was out all day and didn't order them till about 4pm

Seats?

jordanismygod 18-06-2005 06:44 PM

Yeah. There are 5 of us going and one is disabled

Palace Palare 19-06-2005 04:10 AM

Never been a big fan of DM , but anyone heard the Johnny Cash version of Personal Jesus? Magnificent.

jordanismygod 19-06-2005 10:04 PM

Yes, it's not bad. Better than Marlyn Mansons version anyway.

Miss Chief 23-06-2005 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
ditto. might pop down to Wembley as it is local, my birthday is January, we could do a trip around then to Germany perhaps. Frankfurt is a cheap and cheerful one, Graz is also cheap.
So, now that the fixtures list is out, it looks like this could be a winning gig:

Thur, Jan 26th, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany

It doesn't clash with Palace (snuggly between Reading at home and Preston away for Neil) and is near enough around your Birthday, paf, woohoo! It fits your cheapo cheapo approach to travel and I do fancy seeing a gig in Germany; something industrial and Martin Gore-esque about it.

What do you reckon, chicos?

paf 23-06-2005 11:14 AM

Quote:

So, now that the fixtures list is out, it looks like this could be a winning gig:

Thur, Jan 26th, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany

It doesn't clash with Palace (snuggly between Reading at home and Preston away for Neil) and is near enough around your Birthday, paf, woohoo! It fits your cheapo cheapo approach to travel and I do fancy seeing a gig in Germany; something industrial and Martin Gore-esque about it.

What do you reckon, chicos?

sounds like a winner to me :) flight out Weds £1.99 and return on Fri is 19.99.

God belss ryanair.

Al From Bromley 23-06-2005 03:08 PM

My sister was in a New York club with Andy Rourke recently and Martin Gore was DJing and playing loads of heavy techno shit. Andy Rourke, who does a bit of DJing himself, went across to matin Gore and shouted "what's this fooking shit? Reach out and touch you? No fooking way"

paf 23-06-2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Al From Bromley
My sister was in a New York club with Andy Rourke recently and Martin Gore was DJing and playing loads of heavy techno shit. Andy Rourke, who does a bit of DJing himself, went across to matin Gore and shouted "what's this fooking shit? Reach out and touch you? No fooking way"
He always plays really eclectic stuff, that set was tech-house apparently and the only people not enjoying it were the people who turned up to expecting DM records

:D

Al From Bromley 23-06-2005 03:22 PM

I just liked the reference to Personal Jesus that Rourke threw in for good measure.

jordanismygod 24-06-2005 08:38 PM

Some snippets that came out of a recent interview.

Their main idea for the live performance is to present them more as a collective again. Just the three of them. That could mean that they don't use background singers this time.

Dave says about the album that it turned out very experimental. Ben Hillier pushed them to a different direction, sometimes by just using different microphones and equipment to make Martin's guitar playing and Dave's singing sound different.

Dave says as well that they celebrated the 25th anniversary of their first show on may 29th in New York - going out to a Thai restaurant. He adds that they chose Thai because he gets more than enough Greek food at home - his wife's parents are both from Greece.

MIKEY C 25-06-2005 01:21 PM

It won't be so good with out Vince Clarke

I'm still living in the 80's

jordanismygod 28-06-2005 07:34 PM

The band are currently mixing the "as yet untitled" album in London, with Steve Fitzmaurice at the mixing board.

The band are shooting a music video in London this week. The director is Uwe Flade.

The upcoming album is tentatively scheduled for an Autumn release (possibly October).

The band will start touring to promote their upcoming album in October.

Little Matt 01-07-2005 02:55 PM

So, who's going to the Wembley gig? paf, NTE? I might be tempted.

paf 01-07-2005 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Little Matt
So, who's going to the Wembley gig? paf, NTE? I might be tempted.
I havent got a ticket yet, if theres any standing ones left I'll go.

Highbury Eagle 01-07-2005 03:06 PM

Another date has been added for Wembley, Sunday 2nd April. Tickets are on sale today on the wembley Arena site. Both standing and seating tickets available.

Miss Chief 01-07-2005 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Highbury Eagle
Another date has been added for Wembley, Sunday 2nd April. Tickets are on sale today on the wembley Arena site. Both standing and seating tickets available.
I've got standing tickets for me and some friends for the 2nd but will probably go both nights.

paf- when Neil returns we must pounce him for the idea of Frankfurt; he mentioned something about a possible clash with the FA Cup. If we are thinking of a January jolly, I suppose we'd better get some gig tickets before cheapo travel can be arranged.

paf 01-07-2005 03:15 PM

no standing left for Monday, but now Sunday is the opening night and standing tix are available, Little Mat you in?

Little Matt 01-07-2005 03:17 PM

Yes, up for it, definitely.

jordanismygod 01-07-2005 03:18 PM

This week, the band took a break from mixing the forthcoming album, and shot the video for their next single. The shoot, helmed by director Uwe Flade, took place at an undisclosed location in England. Flade previously helmed Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy The Silence 04” clip, as well as the video for Dave’s solo single “Bottle Living”.

The band are scheduled to finish mixing the album with Steve Fitzmaurice in a London studio next week. Fitzmaurice also mixed “Exciter” and “One Night In Paris”.

jordanismygod 04-07-2005 09:53 PM

The forthcoming Depeche Mode album, slated for release on October 17, is going to be called Playing The Angel, the band revealed today at an exclusive listening session at Home House in London.

Songs include the first single, Precious, out two weeks before the album, Sinner in Me, Suffer Well, John the Revelator, Macrovision, A Pain That I'm Used To and I Want It All.

Martin provides the lead on Macrovision and one other, yet to be revealed, song.

One participant at the session says that the album "is very well produced, Ben Hillier has done a brilliant job. It is clear and defined, but also solidly layered like the two Flood produced albums. It is very bass heavy, which is great, and Dave is on very fine voice."

In addition there's been songs tentatively titled Everything, Martyr For Love and Free - whether these have changed names or will even be on the album remains to be seen.

The album has been described as dark, and the underlying theme of the album is said to be pain and suffering. "The album," explained Fletch at a recent press conference, "is not as digital as Exciter. It's a bit perhaps more organic... warmer maybe."

The album was recorded in Santa Barbara (Sound Design), New York (Stratosphere) and London. Working with the band in the studio were producer Ben Hillier as well as Dave McCracken and Richard Morris. The sleeve for the album will once again be done by Anton Corbijn.

paf 05-07-2005 08:00 AM

chances of this hitting t'internet way before it's release...... wont even offer odds.

jordanismygod 05-07-2005 12:26 PM

I ruined 'Exciter' as i had already heard 5/6 tracks before it came out.
I won't be doing that this time.

paf 05-07-2005 12:30 PM

Quote:

I won't be doing that this time.

I say I wont, but I bet I do.........

ps. me, Miss Chief and Pete have tickets for the LTU arena in Dusseldorf for my birthday weekend in January....

Get in !!!!

:lux: :lux: :lux:

Neil the Eagle 05-07-2005 12:49 PM

:sob: No can do - will try for Rock & ring though...

Miss Chief 05-07-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf

ps. me, Miss Chief and Pete have tickets for the LTU arena in Dusseldorf for my birthday weekend in January....

Get in !!!!

:lux: :lux: :lux:

Ausgezeichnet! Ich bin also aufgeregt.

I shall bring my electric stun gun to tackle the crowd.

Neil, so sorry you won't be there- you are going to have to drop some of those other passions of yours. Probably go somewhere else too along the tour.

jordanismygod 05-07-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf

I know. It's too tempting not to.

paf 05-07-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

:sob: No can do - will try for Rock & ring though...
you know we'll lose at home that day, it'll rain horribly and the printers will print the front cover of the echo upside down, might aswell give up now and come with us

Neil the Eagle 05-07-2005 01:54 PM

Sadly I'm already missing one game next season for gig reasons, that's quite enough.

jordanismygod 05-07-2005 06:52 PM

*SPOILER*

Playing The Angel is a dark, thunderously rocking album, which lyrically digs into the infinite abysms of human existance and, in doing so, avails itself musically of a range from Industrial to contemporary electronic avantgarde. But after all it always comes back to this certain self-reliance and independence which is Depeche Mode known for for 25 years know.
So, here are the first hard facts. After a single listen. That is, don´t kill me if it feels a little different afterwards.

1. 'Precious'
Will be the first single. And deservedly so. The song works from the start. Very homogenous and self-contained all in all, in short moments nevertheless with the very libertine Depeche Mode always get away with. For example the shortest fragment of a melody ever: Just a tap on the piano-synth and catchiness and significance still add up. It reminds myself a bit on the Black Celebration period but it’s also reminiscent of Violator. Pathos doesn´t get missed out, too. Excerpt: “If God had a masterplan…” – despair right away, then. As the track was played once again at the end of the listening session people virtually danced to it. Fire test has been passed with flying colours. The word ‘classic’ is in the air all over the place.

2. 'The Sinner In Me'
A very dark, Industrial-like track which be could be as well Nine Inch Nails – well, until the vocals come in. The Italo lot among the British colleagues shiver in the face of too much harshness. Once more about agony and pain:”…still recover, still go over all the suffering..” (by the way, no warranty for accuracy at all when it comes to quotes off the lyrics). Towards the end the track appropriatley vanishes in digital noise and swoosh.

3. 'Suffer Well'
And once again suffering – even though I Freudianly misheard “Suffer Weil”. Well-fitting to the flow of the record, Gahan talks later on about “one of the darkest Depeche Mode records ever”. This song, a very strong, lusty anthem, is penned by him, by the way. Just like another one in this listening session and a third one on the final album (which – so much for now – will be finished by the end of this week). The track ends with a surprising Hip Hop scratch of noise sounds. Once again one of those ambitious, at first intriguing but then sense making elements which the band has such a good grasp of.

4. 'Macrovision'
"...Overflowing senses... I hear my blood flow…" Aptly to this short quote there´s only the voice present at the beginning of the song, haunting, coming in for all things – and when the wall of sound joins the voice still leads the track to higher levels. Nonetheless: A difficult track at first listen, somehow it has something pretentious about it. A feeling which is ultimately blotted out by the intoxicating melancholy, though.

5. 'John The Revelator'
One of these tracks which work after a few seconds already, which needs no big introduction , which just enters the room and can be assumed as well-established. The leading 80s synth sound recalls slightly on “Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass” by I-F and is the ideal leitmotif for a song which has the ability to blend the best of the worlds of Rock and Electronics. Potential single. I would say.

6. 'I Want It All'
The second track by Gahan in this session. And so far the least enthralling for me. A ballad and therefore very much produced pertinently for his voice which, blessed with all presence possible, narrates over layers of click sounds. Towards the end the sounds take over, step by step, grinding and rattling like the colossus in Björk’s “Army Of Me” video clip.

7. 'A Pain That I'm Used To'
The track begins with an unsettling vocal line, which in its flow rather reminds on Italo-Pop-House canto than Depeche Mode. But at latest when the sublime melody rises above the darkness of the words, when the elevated raptures presage, the song falls back into the world where it really belongs. Perhaps the track with the best dramaturgy on the album. Another potential single for me.

The Bottom Line: An album like a lustful punch in your face - so to speak the “Fight Club” album of Depeche Mode. No chance at all to step aside and evade.

jordanismygod 19-07-2005 07:35 PM

The single got leaked onto the internet today.
Oh yes. This is Depeche Mode backed to their best.
Any Mode fan will love 'Precious'

paf 20-07-2005 07:50 AM

Quote:

The single got leaked onto the internet today.
Oh yes. This is Depeche Mode backed to their best.
Any Mode fan will love 'Precious'

Just got it :)

Anyone wants, pm. Blimey, in 10 minutes the torrent went from 2 downloaders to 300 :)

paf 20-07-2005 11:02 AM

the video has also been leaked, totally unfinished, still with story boards on www.ifilm.com

that'll be pulled pretty quick.

JJ 21-07-2005 09:43 AM

Quote:

Where is JJ nowadays? Haven't heard from him in a while. JJ, if you are out there give us a sign.
http://www.bris.ac.uk/imagelib/tsfr-t100.gif

That one ok?

The new single Precious is fantastic, and is (therefore somewhat surprisingly) written by Dave Gahan. I'm going to both London shows, but doubt whether I can be arsed to go to any of the others. If the rest of the album sounds as good as Precious, it'll be their best since their very height of perfection, ie Violator (the album to which I listened non-stop in the car park queueing for FA Cup Final tickets...and then again for the replay.)

(And better just check, Miss Chief is Sam, right? :cool:)

JJ 21-07-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
that'll be pulled pretty quick.
Yep, already gone. Probably a good thing the DM forum has been down for the last two days as it would have melted.

JJ 21-07-2005 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by paf
I havent got a ticket yet, if theres any standing ones left I'll go.
Both Wembley dates are sold out for standing tickets. I'm standing for both. :p

Miss Chief 21-07-2005 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JJ
http://www.bris.ac.uk/imagelib/tsfr-t100.gif

That one ok?

The new single Precious is fantastic, and is (therefore somewhat surprisingly) written by Dave Gahan. I'm going to both London shows, but doubt whether I can be arsed to go to any of the others. If the rest of the album sounds as good as Precious, it'll be their best since their very height of perfection, ie Violator (the album to which I listened non-stop in the car park queueing for FA Cup Final tickets...and then again for the replay.)

(And better just check, Miss Chief is Sam, right? :cool:)

Smashing sign.

Well, blow me down with a feather, it's JJ! I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Took your time but I suppose the antipodean mind-set of time keeping has gradually rubbed off on you.

Today is a Precious day indeed.

(Yes, tis I, Sam).

JJ 21-07-2005 10:08 AM

I just hadn't come into this part of the BBS for ages so missed the thread. As you say, I'm on Aussie time these days!

JJ 21-07-2005 10:09 AM

And getting faaar too friendly with Sarah Blackwood, of course ;)

JJ 21-07-2005 10:16 AM

And the other half of Client has just confirmed that the song was actually written by Martin not Dave. Consider the person who told me otherwise duly castrated.

Miss Chief 21-07-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JJ
And the other half of Client has just confirmed that the song was actually written by Martin not Dave. Consider the person who told me otherwise duly castrated.
That figures. Martin is the man for giving me goose-bumps (not taking away the talent of Dave, of course).