CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Music Forum (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Depeche Mode confirm new album news. (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95370)

jordanismygod 19-03-2013 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=Joe Knight

As aside, looking forward to IAMX's new album and seeing him in Camden on 18th April.[/QUOTE]

Yep, couldn't be better. Two of my favourite bands releasing new albums within days of eachother.

Rasheed Harkouk 22-03-2013 01:57 PM

So when they play live do you reckon they'll open with the tail end of "My Little Universe" before kicking off proper with "Welcome To My World"? ... it's not Christmas Island but it might just work :)

jordanismygod 22-03-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasheed Harkouk
So when they play live do you reckon they'll open with the tail end of "My Little Universe" before kicking off proper with "Welcome To My World"? ... it's not Christmas Island but it might just work :)

Funny. I thought the exact same thing the other day.

Joe Knight 23-03-2013 12:18 PM

Given it 10 or so listens now and i'm really enjoying the album - better than the last 3 imho.

As with SOTU, the B sides are as good, or better than some of the album tracks - "Happens all the time" being one of them.

Miss Chief 23-03-2013 06:43 PM

Tomorrow (Sunday) BBC Radio 6 is doing a DM playlist and asking for requests from all thirteen albums. They will also be interviewing them on Easter Friday. Tasty!

jordanismygod 27-03-2013 01:15 PM

Don't forget the DM are on the Jonathan Woss show this saturday night

PalaceMonkey 27-03-2013 01:23 PM

just gave it my first listen.
took a while for it to warm up for me, but was getting into it by the end.

will give it some more listens now

JJ 14-04-2013 08:28 AM

Gents / Miss Chief - any further thoughts, release+3 weeks? I've only had it a few days thanks to the post, but early comments:

The Child Inside - really reminds me of Damaged People, mainly because of that great noise that they've found hitting on the beat.

Goodbye - bloody hell, I wake up humming that sodding guitar hook. A strong end to the album.

My Little Universe - tracks like this are why I'm still a DM fan. Love the noises.

Welcome To My World - two songs in one I think - the second half sounds like Komputer (and therefore like Kraftwerk).

Broken - decent Dave track, like it.

Slow - I really like what sounds like a snap snare they've used.

Rasheed Harkouk 14-04-2013 09:53 AM

I'm still not sure what to think about it myself. Better than SOTU and Exciter for sure. For me personally there are no classics on there whereas on SOTU we got 'Wrong' which to me is one of my top 10 Mode tracks. On the flip side there are no real duffers. I was disturbed to find that both my fave tracks were penned by Gahan. Don't think Gore has particularly excelled on this album but the production is pretty good. I'd probably be raving more about 'Angel' had it not been leaked so long ago.

jordanismygod 14-04-2013 04:24 PM

For me it's a really solid collection of songs. I have not said this since SOFAD. For me, even Ultra falls away near the end.
I also feel it's a shame that Angel was heard months ago. It may had been better if they put it out early like they did, but as a single.
3/4 weeks in and there ins't a song that i skip.
The strings and the overall feeling of 'Alone' is wonderful. Really good track.
Even 'Soothe' that originally had that through away feeling gets under your skin and is serioulsy catchy.

jordanismygod 14-04-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasheed Harkouk
'Wrong' which to me is one of my top 10 Mode tracks.

I thought SOTU was a really duff album. Even 'Wrong' which i originally loved has fallen away for me

Aki Aki Aki 14-04-2013 05:22 PM

I've got tickets for DM at the O2 on November 19th. Hoping they can match the amazing Devotional performances of 20 years ago :p (can't believe its been so long)

Rasheed Harkouk 15-04-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanismygod
For me it's a really solid collection of songs. I have not said this since SOFAD. For me, even Ultra falls away near the end.

Yep, know what you mean with Ultra, very strong first half then runs out of steam somewhat.

Definitely a good solid album so far. Off to see Dubstar tonight to get my Electro Pop fix in.

JJ 15-04-2013 11:57 AM

Hope you have a great time, RH! :)

Miss Chief 22-04-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ
Gents / Miss Chief - any further thoughts, release+3 weeks? I've only had it a few days thanks to the post, but early comments:

The Child Inside - really reminds me of Damaged People, mainly because of that great noise that they've found hitting on the beat.

Goodbye - bloody hell, I wake up humming that sodding guitar hook. A strong end to the album.

My Little Universe - tracks like this are why I'm still a DM fan. Love the noises.

Welcome To My World - two songs in one I think - the second half sounds like Komputer (and therefore like Kraftwerk).

Broken - decent Dave track, like it.

Slow - I really like what sounds like a snap snare they've used.

Hey JJ, sorry for delay... Life frantic stuff. I have to say that I think they've produced an excellent album. Really electro and really Depechie. It's a stand-out album vibe in the music scene nowadays. It landed on my doorstep (pre-ordered, of course) on a day when I had to do some motorway driving at night which provided the perfect scenario for a first... And second listen.

My first faves (which are subject to change) were Heaven and then a run at end... Soft Touch/Raw Nerve (blew me away), Alone (gave me such a broad smile unique reserved only for broody DM tracks) and Soothe My Soul (aaahh) and Goodbye (great guitar riff Martin).

Spot on about World To My World and Kraftwerk! I like it.

My one criticism, if I may, is that I don't tend to like Dave's voice as much when he does a pseudo-deep-south-US accent. Not much of it fortunately but a few minor twangs that aren't for me. I do really like the music bluesiness though.

Excited for live. I'm sure Anton Corbijn with do wonders with vivid, naughty and symbolic imagery to compliment the new album. Seeing them in TA on 5th May on my birthday weekend- a gal can't ask for more- and then Berlin.

You gonna get to see them live?

Rasheed Harkouk 29-05-2013 09:13 AM

Was a great gig last night, not the best but still great. Higher Love and A Pain That I'm Used To were easily the highlights for me. Found the encore a little subdued really and the crowd didn't have the fervour i've known before. Still... good gig.

PalaceMonkey 29-05-2013 09:19 AM

yep I enjoyed it.
Had to leave about 22.45 to get my last train, but that was still 2 hours of depeche goodness.

Rasheed Harkouk 29-05-2013 11:20 AM

Played 23 tracks in all, longest Mode gig i've ever been to. 135 mins +. Wasn't so wrapped in the back drops and the stage set etc, not a patch on the previous tour in that respect. Interesting that not a single SOTU track was played.

Miss Chief 29-05-2013 12:19 PM

I was there last night, unplanned. Great to hear it indoors as it was outdoors in Tel Aviv (and really fantastic!). Really enjoyed it. I am still yearning to hear Soft Touch/Raw Nerve live as it hasn't happened yet. Maybe in Berlin (please). I agree A Pain That I'm Used To was a highlight for me too, along with Black Celebration and Enjoy The Silence.

Tomo 29-05-2013 01:09 PM

Did anyone there catch the support How To Dress Well? If so what did you think.