CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Memory Lane (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Vince Hilaire autobiography (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273820)

bubbs11 24-01-2018 06:45 AM

Vince Hilaire autobiography
 
Out March 1st 2018!

https://www.bitebackpublishing.com/books/vince

First I’ve heard of it. My first Palace hero - can’t wait to read it.

I wonder if he’ll mention the time an 11 year old Bubbs11 met him at a kids Sunday League award ceremony and got him to swear over and over again that he would never leave Palace...

He left literally two weeks later. :sob:

I’ve had trust issues ever since

https://s1.gifyu.com/images/CE81B342...83085FC2AE.jpg

Olympian2 24-01-2018 07:03 AM

Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?

Jim Cannon 24-01-2018 07:14 AM

Can't remember exactly why he didn't leave at that point but his form could be very inconsistent though.

El Aguila 24-01-2018 07:15 AM

I’m getting that!

Golf Boy 24-01-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14073467)
Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?

It´s not like any first division clubs were in for him.

CP Satellite 24-01-2018 07:28 AM

OThere was a short documentary about him on ITV in the summer of 1976, also titled Vince - but apart from this short clip, it seems nobody has the full documentary anymore - shame because it is still amongst the most exciting times in our club's history.

Vince will always be a hero to the Palace fans that saw him play, an exhilariting player who seemed destined for greater things than actually materialised, but still great and cherished memories and evocative of one the most enjoyable eras in my time following Palace.



NB - Just realised, the building you can see outside the Palace Boardroom where Vince is signing his first full professional terms - is Lady Edridge School, roughly where the Fanzone and those houses that are in Wooderson Close are sited now.

Olympian2 24-01-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Boy (Post 14073478)
It´s not like any first division clubs were in for him.

No, but on the face of it, it's a bit curious that Venables stole half the team to QPR (including 'stars' like Fenwick & Burridge) but didn't take Vince, who he would have had since a kid.

Bipe 24-01-2018 09:17 AM

Wow...just sent the link to my wife. This is all I want for my birthday this year.

IanH 24-01-2018 09:35 AM

I suspect a lot of it will be about his time at Pompey. Mick Quinn's book about those years was hilarious - that team sounded like a complete nightmare (on and off the pitch) with Quinn, Noel Blake, Billy Gilbert, Mick Kennedy, plus Hilaire.

loz 24-01-2018 09:36 AM

My first Palace hero...in fact my only Palace hero. ( Gerry queen and Don Rogers would have been my first but didn't really get to see them play live much)

A bright light in the dark times from 81 to 84.

Wanted to call my first son Vince. Either after the Vincent Motorbike or Vince Hilaire...wasnt allowed !!

Del Fenner 24-01-2018 10:14 AM

He was rampant against the Weed in my first Palace match (3-1 Hilare 2), and I was hooked.

Can't wait for this! :D

thereichstuff 24-01-2018 10:18 AM

“ he’s here he’s there he’s every ******* where “
“Brown boy on the wing” :p can’t wait to read it .

wrightchipvcfc 24-01-2018 10:40 AM

Was great to watch when I was a kid met him reAly down to earth guy

David of Kent 24-01-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanH (Post 14073674)
I suspect a lot of it will be about his time at Pompey. Mick Quinn's book about those years was hilarious - that team sounded like a complete nightmare (on and off the pitch) with Quinn, Noel Blake, Billy Gilbert, Mick Kennedy, plus Hilaire.

Hope not. 7 years compared to 4 years of his career, many more games here, plus he had a dressing room with Sansom, Budgie, Cannon (did he have the same problems Wright had with him), Gerry Francis, crowd of 52k, being top of the league (for a week), the rise and collapse of the club, Malcolm Allison returning, Venables era, Ron coming in.....plus Billy Gilbert!! I'd say a healthy bit on his time at Pompey but an even healthier bit on his time here.

Thanet Eagle 24-01-2018 11:01 AM

Looking forward to this ! Thanks for the heads up.

Am Phibian 24-01-2018 11:31 AM

The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.

bubbs11 24-01-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14073467)
Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?

Sure he’ll cover that in the book. From my memory, after being absolutely electric in our promotion season and the beginning of our season in the top flight, as Jim Cannon said, he was hugely inconsistent. But was still a shining light of hope along with Kevin Mabbutt, in a sea of absolute darkness at the time.

I do seem to recall there were always rumours that he’d move on but never seem to happen until Coppell arrived.

in-exile 24-01-2018 11:54 AM

His brother fitted my Dad's gas coal effect fire...is Vince in the UK?

ElwissAtMemphis 24-01-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Am Phibian (Post 14073907)
The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.

I remember both Kenny Sansom and Paul Hinshelwood performing that routine a few times too. It must have been something they worked on in training.

wrightchipvcfc 24-01-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14073941)
Sure he’ll cover that in the book. From my memory, after being absolutely electric in our promotion season and the beginning of our season in the top flight, as Jim Cannon said, he was hugely inconsistent. But was still a shining light of hope along with Kevin Mabbutt, in a sea of absolute darkness at the time.

I do seem to recall there were always rumours that he’d move on but never seem to happen until Coppell arrived.

Jerry Murphy was a big reason we stayed up in them early 80 s

Olympian2 24-01-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14073941)
Sure he’ll cover that in the book. From my memory, after being absolutely electric in our promotion season and the beginning of our season in the top flight, as Jim Cannon said, he was hugely inconsistent. But was still a shining light of hope along with Kevin Mabbutt, in a sea of absolute darkness at the time.

I do seem to recall there were always rumours that he’d move on but never seem to happen until Coppell arrived.

Yeah, I specifically remember a 4-0 'out of the blue' home win against Oldham in 82. I think Vince & Mabbs scored twice each.

ebyeeckeagle 24-01-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 14073762)
...
“Brown boy on the wing” :p can’t wait to read it .

Not sure we'd get away with that today :supergrin: My hero as a lad watching Palace (just as Wilf has been for my son). So getting this book. Great interview with him in one of the Palace books on why he left and his memories of Palace. Bit of a limp ending to his career with us really. I'll dig that out tonight.

audreytatou 24-01-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 14073762)
“ he’s here he’s there he’s every ******* where “
“Brown boy on the wing” :p can’t wait to read it .

loved both songs, and, as a brown boy myself,(this song actually meant the world to me as it was at least a tiny step in the right direction as I saw it) loved singing it for Vince:lux::lux::lux::lux:

cantspell 24-01-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thereichstuff (Post 14073762)
“ he’s here he’s there he’s every ******* where “it .


Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

Dobbo 24-01-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14073467)
Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?

Probably because his agent was linked to Vegetables.

Jim Cannon 24-01-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanH (Post 14073674)
I suspect a lot of it will be about his time at Pompey. Mick Quinn's book about those years was hilarious - that team sounded like a complete nightmare (on and off the pitch) with Quinn, Noel Blake, Billy Gilbert, Mick Kennedy, plus Hilaire.

Having him in a Palace shirt on the cover suggests there will be plenty about his time here you would hope. It's only reasonable Pompey would get a chunk as he had a successful spell there. Hopefully it's a good read, some really good footballers autobiographies out there and plenty of terrible ones too

whitey52white@a 24-01-2018 01:45 PM

Lovely memories. Fantastic player and I will certainly be reading this. Wanted to call my youngest son Vince also but wasn't allowed....haha.

Olympian2 24-01-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

Remember that game. Was it Mabbutt who got sent off first and then Billy Gilbert went apeshit at the ref & soon followed? Peter Nic scored the pen that Vince one, right?

wrightchipvcfc 24-01-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

Good days in the aurthur enclosure by the away fans remember that game

Dorking .Eagle 24-01-2018 03:31 PM

Hopefully 'interspersed' with some fab photos by my honey, sorry, Hy Money

A book 'signing' is in order methinks

David of Kent 24-01-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

Remember that game. 7 players and the goalie behind the ball frantically defending (was it Mabbutt and Nicholas that were sent off?) Our tactic was to just give it to Vince and ask him to just take them on and dribble the ball down to the other half whenever he could. He did it so well ultimately in leading toward the penalty.

This was the game around the time we beat Leicester (with Lineker and Smith up front) and drew with West Ham in the FA Cup before going out

cantspell 24-01-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David of Kent (Post 14074472)
Remember that game. 7 players and the goalie behind the ball frantically defending (was it Mabbutt and Nicholas that were sent off?) Our tactic was to just give it to Vince and ask him to just take them on and dribble the ball down to the other half whenever he could. He did it so well ultimately in leading toward the penalty.



This was the game around the time we beat Leicester (with Lineker and Smith up front) and drew with West Ham in the FA Cup before going out


Gilbert was sent off Nicholas scored the pen - and yes they were the tactics but he wad brilliant at it that day

Here’s another Vince getting sent off v spurs for pushing the ref over

Joeymaz 24-01-2018 04:23 PM

This has been written by my good friend and bloke I sit next to at Palace, Tom Maslona.
He has put so much hard work and effort into this would be great if everyone bought a copy. Cheers

Am Phibian 24-01-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

What a memorable game that was. 0-0 at 15 mins and two men down and then we went and bleedin' scored :) - next hour and a quarter or so was amazing and you are so right about the noise. Crowd and team become one to hang on in there and we did!

Hedgehog 24-01-2018 08:15 PM

I'm sure he will mention when Terry Venables made him buy Kenny Sansom's Triumph Stag despite the fact he already had one!

(I think that's how the story goes anyway)

Ruskin Old Boy 24-01-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle (Post 14074075)
Not sure we'd get away with that today :supergrin: My hero as a lad watching Palace (just as Wilf has been for my son). So getting this book. Great interview with him in one of the Palace books on why he left and his memories of Palace. Bit of a limp ending to his career with us really. I'll dig that out tonight.


We probably wouldn't ... but at a Player of the year do a few years back Away Day Eagle and I spoke to Vince about the song and asked him what he thought of it. He said he liked it, first and foremost because he hadn't been in the first team for long and he already had his own song. He went on to say how jealous some of his team mates were - he wouldn't mention any names but they'd been first team regulars for some time.

We laughed about the incident against Spurs when he pushed over the ref and walked straight off though it gave him grief at the time.

Will be looking out for the book - he's a great bloke :p

henryhallandhisbasque 24-01-2018 08:26 PM

In my head it just seems like yesterday when as a teenager, I marvelled at his skills when he first played for Palace in 77/78. Then I realise, he is nearly 60, I'm an old git of 55 with dodgy knees, and 1978 was 40 years ago.

PeterH 24-01-2018 08:33 PM

Ask him about the book on Facebook.

the drexciyan 24-01-2018 10:29 PM

My original hero. Before Zaha, before Wright, there was Vince on the wing.

bubbs11 25-01-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Am Phibian (Post 14074881)
What a memorable game that was. 0-0 at 15 mins and two men down and then we went and bleedin' scored :) - next hour and a quarter or so was amazing and you are so right about the noise. Crowd and team become one to hang on in there and we did!

Were they sent off that early? My memory has it at the beginning of the second half. Mabbutt had committed two dodgy fouls in very quick succession near the centre circle. Then Gilbert went ape at the ref at sending him off and got his marching orders too. I seem to remember Gilbert just running off and beating Mabbutt down the tunnel.

As the game wore on we knew our only hope was a Vince penalty and he duly obliged. As someone mentioned already, the ref had to give it cos the supporters were going bananas. Nicholas just smashed it into the roof of the net. Great memory.

Garfy 25-01-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

I seem to remember that Malcolm Allison was manager of the Boro at the time and they stayed overnight in the then hostels at the Crystal Palace sports centre. Was wonderful to be in the Holmesdale when Nicholas scored.

12bus 25-01-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074541)

Here’s another Vince getting sent off v spurs for pushing the ref over

Ref dived

Payroll Legend 25-01-2018 01:58 PM

Vince was my hero as a kid (I own a t-shirt with him on it as a 47 year old). Outrageously skilful. Wilf is the only player to come close to him in terms of skill and crowd anticipation when he gets the ball. You just couldn’t get it off him, fantastic balance, great close control. Just glided about the pitch. Loved him.

He should’ve moved earlier than he did. He lost form and ended up playing in the worst Palace side I’ve seen just a few years after the best.

Can’t wait to get this book.

Sam Spade 25-01-2018 02:26 PM

Getting this. Great player and lovely fella. Met him and Billy Gilbert a couple of times when they were joint managers of Waterlooville, I interviewed them for "Eagle Eye".

IanH 25-01-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

One of my favourite ever Palace games - the atmosphere after the second sending off was one of the best I can remember in the early 80's. Hilaire was unplayable in the second half - like Zaha on drugs!

Kai 25-01-2018 02:42 PM

Just pre-ordered. This will be an interesting read!

ianace 25-01-2018 02:47 PM

He was the first player that I was gutted to see leave the club.
There have been a few more since then!

Dorking .Eagle 25-01-2018 04:40 PM

I have been in contact with Foz and Mike who manage the Club Shop.

They have been in contact with the publishers and will definitely be stocking the book in the Club Shop.

There is a bit to arrange but they are very much hoping to be able to have Vince up at CPFC for a book signing session some time in March when the book is published. :)

So keep an eye open for more news nearer the time :)

salad fan club 25-01-2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanH (Post 14075891)
One of my favourite ever Palace games - the atmosphere after the second sending off was one of the best I can remember in the early 80's. Hilaire was unplayable in the second half - like Zaha on drugs!

he ran most of the pitch beat half of the team and then was hacked down for the winning pen

we were all relieved as finishing wasn't his strong point :supergrin:

I will be getting the book looking forward to it

Percy Dalton 25-01-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympian2 (Post 14073519)
No, but on the face of it, it's a bit curious that Venables stole half the team to QPR (including 'stars' like Fenwick & Burridge) but didn't take Vince, who he would have had since a kid.

Sorry but he did not take half the team to QPR. If you look at the squad at the start of 81/82 the bulk of the team of the 80's were still at the club.

Burridge, Fenwick, Allen (which was no surprise due to Allen family connections with QPR) Flanagan (who most fans at that time would say was no loss) Gerry Francis (went back to his old club but only played 17 games.

The rest

Sansom of course went to Arsenal before Venners left

Paul Hinslewood stayed for a couple of more years until he went to Oxford. Jim Cannon another 7 years and Billy Gilbert stayed to 1984 then went to Pompey pre Venners.

Jerry Murphy was with us until 85 them went to Chelski. Vince did not leave until 84 and then to Luton. Peter Nicholas left in 81 but for Arsenal (£500k) and came back in 83 and left again in 85 for Luton.

Swindlehurst had left before Venners, Steve Kember went to Canada but was already struggling with knee problems and Ian Walsh did not leave until 82 and that was Swansea.

John Burridge had left before Venners due to a contract dispute. It was no surprise that Fenwick followed Venners as he was a boo boy target as he replaced Kenny which was not his fault.

Out of only 5 players who went to QPR only four followed TV and only two of those were really a loss, Fenwick and Allen, although due to their transfer value at the time and Bloye leaving the club in a terrible financial state, they would have left anyway although they may not have gone to QPR.

Francis was injury hit and not the player he had been. He showed flashes of his best while at Palace, but his main benefit was his top level experience in a very young side which saw us through 79/80 season after that his influence would have fallen away. Flanagan never really settled.

dim 25-01-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

One of my favourite games. It was also before red cards became common...... And the next time we got to sing YOU lost to 9 men.........


And that is a magnificent picture on the cover, which should tell something about the focus of the book.

ElwissAtMemphis 25-01-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Percy Dalton (Post 14076205)
Sorry but he did not take half the team to QPR. If you look at the squad at the start of 81/82 the bulk of the team of the 80's were still at the club.

Burridge, Fenwick, Allen (which was no surprise due to Allen family connections with QPR) Flanagan (who most fans at that time would say was no loss) Gerry Francis (went back to his old club but only played 17 games.

You missed Tony Sealy which makes six. I'd say that's half a team by anyone's standards.

ElwissAtMemphis 25-01-2018 07:30 PM

Didn't Steve Wicks end up there too? He wasn't Team of the 80s class strictly speaking but that's a hell of a list of players to move from one club to another in such a short space of time.

El Aguila 25-01-2018 07:57 PM

Didn’t Wicks go Chelsea - QPR - Palace?

Ruskin Old Boy 25-01-2018 08:21 PM

Wicks went: Chelsea - Derby - QPR - Palace - QPR - Chelsea

Sam Spade 25-01-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy (Post 14076481)
Wicks went: Chelsea - Derby - QPR - Palace - QPR - Chelsea

...and he never went very fast.

SA Eagle 25-01-2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Percy Dalton (Post 14076205)
Sorry but he did not take half the team to QPR. If you look at the squad at the start of 81/82 the bulk of the team of the 80's were still at the club.

Burridge, Fenwick, Allen (which was no surprise due to Allen family connections with QPR) Flanagan (who most fans at that time would say was no loss) Gerry Francis (went back to his old club but only played 17 games.

The rest

Sansom of course went to Arsenal before Venners left

Paul Hinslewood stayed for a couple of more years until he went to Oxford. Jim Cannon another 7 years and Billy Gilbert stayed to 1984 then went to Pompey pre Venners.

Jerry Murphy was with us until 85 them went to Chelski. Vince did not leave until 84 and then to Luton. Peter Nicholas left in 81 but for Arsenal (£500k) and came back in 83 and left again in 85 for Luton.

Swindlehurst had left before Venners, Steve Kember went to Canada but was already struggling with knee problems and Ian Walsh did not leave until 82 and that was Swansea.

John Burridge had left before Venners due to a contract dispute. It was no surprise that Fenwick followed Venners as he was a boo boy target as he replaced Kenny which was not his fault.

Out of only 5 players who went to QPR only four followed TV and only two of those were really a loss, Fenwick and Allen, although due to their transfer value at the time and Bloye leaving the club in a terrible financial state, they would have left anyway although they may not have gone to QPR.

Francis was injury hit and not the player he had been. He showed flashes of his best while at Palace, but his main benefit was his top level experience in a very young side which saw us through 79/80 season after that his influence would have fallen away. Flanagan never really settled.

Burridge was signed for QPR by Venables. He hadn’t played all season due to the contract dispute but didn’t leave till Venables took advantage of it to sign him.

Hedgehog 26-01-2018 01:05 AM

Just watched the highlights of the game at QPR on 19/9/81. Burridge was in goal for them.

monkey 26-01-2018 04:23 PM

I shall be purchasing this and saving it for my Portuguese sunbed:sunglasses:

And if Billy Gilbert brings out his autobiography, I think I will actually wet myself!!

bubbs11 27-01-2018 07:47 AM

Didn’t Tony Sealy go to QPR too?

bubbs11 27-01-2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfy (Post 14075792)
I seem to remember that Malcolm Allison was manager of the Boro at the time.

Oh yes of course! He was a really forlorn figure by that stage. His sparkle seemed to have left him. Like a great old boxing champion flogging himself at the end of his career.

cantspell 27-01-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbs11 (Post 14078301)
Didn’t Tony Sealy go to QPR too?


Yes

PK1 31-01-2018 07:47 PM

The two saddest days in football for me as a kid were (1) Vince Hilaire leaving Palace and (2) him getting a load of racist abuse at Selhurst when he came back with Pompey. Everyone did it at the time, Palace were no better or worse. Among the happiest days was watching Vince single handedly take apart Leeds Utd circa 1980ish, took on several players then slotted in from a tight angle. Like Wright and Zaha after him, you expected something special whenever he got the ball. Unlike them, he had a certain floating elegance to his style. A bit like Michael Jordan, the top half seemed to stay still as he ran.

Polak 31-01-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK1 (Post 14088966)
(2) him getting a load of racist abuse at Selhurst when he came back with Pompey.

Remember him getting sent off in that game. Put their promotion on hold which was amusing

Sick Bucket 31-01-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP Satellite (Post 14073491)
OThere was a short documentary about him on ITV in the summer of 1976, also titled Vince - but apart from this short clip, it seems nobody has the full documentary anymore - shame because it is still amongst the most exciting times in our club's history.

Vince will always be a hero to the Palace fans that saw him play, an exhilariting player who seemed destined for greater things than actually materialised, but still great and cherished memories and evocative of one the most enjoyable eras in my time following Palace.



NB - Just realised, the building you can see outside the Palace Boardroom where Vince is signing his first full professional terms - is Lady Edridge School, roughly where the Fanzone and those houses that are in Wooderson Close are sited now.

Cool! Vince was my first and pretty much only idol, I played left wing as a kid.

In that clip Venables mentioned just coming back from Holland, I think that was the first time I saw Palace play I was born in NL (Dads from Thornton Heath), saw Palace play a local semi pro side, Rijnsburger boys. The only thing I remember from the game is Venables shouted 'give the ref some *******
verbals' to one of our players.


Anyway I want the book!

bubbs11 04-02-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK1 (Post 14088966)
The two saddest days in football for me as a kid were (1) Vince Hilaire leaving Palace and (2) him getting a load of racist abuse at Selhurst when he came back with Pompey. Everyone did it at the time, Palace were no better or worse. Among the happiest days was watching Vince single handedly take apart Leeds Utd circa 1980ish, took on several players then slotted in from a tight angle. Like Wright and Zaha after him, you expected something special whenever he got the ball. Unlike them, he had a certain floating elegance to his style. A bit like Michael Jordan, the top half seemed to stay still as he ran.

Didn’t realise Vince was racially abused on his return. :(. I was at that game and remember the incessant boos he got which saddened me too being my hero and all. I was in the Whitehorse family bit so I guess the more hateful abuse was lost on me. Do remember him being sent off at the end though. Wasn’t it for kicking out at one of our players?

simlaboy 08-02-2018 10:56 PM

The Thames programme was titled Young ,Gifted and Black , pretty certain

cad 13-02-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14089163)
saw Palace play a local semi pro side, Rijnsburger boys.

Was at that game, a 6-0 win if I recall correctly.

Jordan's Jacket 13-02-2018 11:37 AM

He was a brilliant player. My second favourite growing up, after the Smurf

CP Satellite 13-02-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick Bucket (Post 14089163)
Cool! Vince was my first and pretty much only idol, I played left wing as a kid.

In that clip Venables mentioned just coming back from Holland, I think that was the first time I saw Palace play I was born in NL (Dads from Thornton Heath), saw Palace play a local semi pro side, Rijnsburger boys. The only thing I remember from the game is Venables shouted 'give the ref some *******
verbals' to one of our players.


Anyway I want the book!

At one of the matches in Holland, the legendary Wiz, who can still be seen regularly at Palace away games, ran from behind the goal to clear a certain Dave Swindlehurst goal - may have been the same game!

gold76 13-02-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP Satellite (Post 14114794)
At one of the matches in Holland, the legendary Wiz, who can still be seen regularly at Palace away games, ran from behind the goal to clear a certain Dave Swindlehurst goal - may have been the same game!

Eagle Eye mention IIRC that Phil Holder wasn't best pleased as I think winning away by 7 might have been a club record!

Buglebob 28-02-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Am Phibian (Post 14073907)
The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.

Yep, he was a genius at that particular move. These days of course the player losing the ball would just sit down and wait for the referee to award him a free kick.

big bad John 01-03-2018 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Am Phibian;14073907]The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.[/QUOTE)


The best player for performing that maneuver was Peter Taylor.

redandblue 01-03-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David of Kent (Post 14073807)
Hope not. 7 years compared to 4 years of his career, many more games here, plus he had a dressing room with Sansom, Budgie, Cannon (did he have the same problems Wright had with him), Gerry Francis, crowd of 52k, being top of the league (for a week), the rise and collapse of the club, Malcolm Allison returning, Venables era, Ron coming in.....plus Billy Gilbert!! I'd say a healthy bit on his time at Pompey but an even healthier bit on his time here.

Wright was, is and always will be a cocky **** act like that with old pros you will get grief from old pros, what did he expect when he nutmegged Jim Cannon that he would get a round of applause

Pikester 01-03-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantspell (Post 14074165)
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000

This is going to be another one of those matches where more people say they were there than officially attended!
I, however, was there. :)
1978/79 was my first season as a supporter - we went to 15 home games and Vince was sublime. The whole crowd on their toes every time he set off.
Unlike Wilf he was only one of a number of talented individuals. It seems crazy now that he wasn't a shoo-in for Player of The Year but with Sansom, Cannon, Gilbert et al we were an embarrassment of riches.
Great times, Great player. Hope it's a good book.

M3 Eagle 02-03-2018 08:13 PM

Apparently 6th March now and looks like the publisher has changed the front cover.
https://www.waterstones.com/author/v...ilaire/3765507

M3 Eagle 02-03-2018 08:14 PM

[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

M3 Eagle 03-03-2018 09:31 AM

22 March now. This is like one of our transfers!!

eltron 04-03-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3 Eagle (Post 14140579)
Apparently 6th March now and looks like the publisher has changed the front cover.
https://www.waterstones.com/author/v...ilaire/3765507

I messaged Vince a few weeks ago and he said that there would be a few different covers depending on the audience - ie a Palace one, a Pompey one etc. I hope that's still the case.

Mind you the England one is pretty special.

M3 Eagle 04-03-2018 01:49 PM

Thanks. Really looking forward to getting this, any news on its release?

Gilzean 09-03-2018 11:05 AM

Any updates on Vince Book release date
 
Hi Folks - really looking forward to reading this book. Any ideas when it will be released. I live in Germany so ordered thus via AMAZON but no dates from them. Thanks Gilzean

M3 Eagle 09-03-2018 01:29 PM

It is apparently 22 March

Am Phibian 09-03-2018 01:42 PM

I bet in a few years they'll be here in my local Oxfam shops and there in the Cancer Research and Rowcroft ones and other charity places every fvcking where.

Coastal Palace 09-03-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Am Phibian (Post 14153567)
I bet in a few years they'll be here in my local Oxfam shops and there in the Cancer Research and Rowcroft ones and other charity places every fvcking where.

:)

David Giles 17-03-2018 12:02 PM

Copy of the book
 
1 Attachment(s)
It's officially out on the 22nd

bubbs11 18-03-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Giles (Post 14167655)
It's officially out on the 22nd

So they did change the cover after all :(

Shame, the first version looked amazing. Maybe they want to have more chance of selling some copies on the south coast.

M3 Eagle 18-03-2018 08:56 AM

Yes shame, but I still can't wait to get it.

David Giles 18-03-2018 11:51 AM

Vince pulled the Palace cover. It looked amazing but he thought it would alienate Pompey fans in particular

NYEagle 18-03-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Giles (Post 14170634)
Vince pulled the Palace cover. It looked amazing but he thought it would alienate Pompey fans in particular

What about alienating Palace fans?

Maidstoned Eagle 18-03-2018 12:31 PM

It hasn't alienated me

Smoz 18-03-2018 12:38 PM

At least he is still wearing red and blue.

NYEagle 18-03-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle (Post 14170701)
It hasn't alienated me



Quote:

Originally Posted by eltron (Post 14143008)
I messaged Vince a few weeks ago and he said that there would be a few different covers depending on the audience - ie a Palace one, a Pompey one etc. I hope that's still the case.

Mind you the England one is pretty special.

So is there still going to be a Portsmouth cover?

David Giles 18-03-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYEagle (Post 14171336)
So is there still going to be a Portsmouth cover?

No, just this one

little al 19-03-2018 10:15 AM

My Mum has just sent me a picture, she has the book in her hands, she works with the authors Mum. Unfortunately its not the copy for me :(

M3 Eagle 19-03-2018 12:13 PM

Club website says Vince will be signing copies in the fanzone on the day we play Brighton.

Bobby Woodruff 19-03-2018 11:57 PM

Dominic Fifield interview in The Guardian.

Link

moverman 21-03-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little al (Post 14171895)
My Mum has just sent me a picture, she has the book in her hands, she works with the authors Mum. Unfortunately its not the copy for me :(

Al, Vince was hero worshipped down at Pompey and he works there on matchdays (still - I think)

It was his decision I believe to have a "neutral" pic of him wearing the England shirt.

CP Satellite 21-03-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK1 (Post 14088966)
The two saddest days in football for me as a kid were (1) Vince Hilaire leaving Palace and (2) him getting a load of racist abuse at Selhurst when he came back with Pompey. Everyone did it at the time, Palace were no better or worse. Among the happiest days was watching Vince single handedly take apart Leeds Utd circa 1980ish, took on several players then slotted in from a tight angle. Like Wright and Zaha after him, you expected something special whenever he got the ball. Unlike them, he had a certain floating elegance to his style. A bit like Michael Jordan, the top half seemed to stay still as he ran.


I remember the Pompey home game, they seemed to have filled the entire Holmesdale End (it was divided into three large sections with fences running the length of the terrace - usually the away fans went into the corner section, roughly where the gap is between the Arthur and Blocks B and C are now).

Not sure why fans chose to abuse Vince, but it was a really strange atmosphere and Palace were just begining to take shape under Coppell after 5 miserable years between 1980-85, where we had shrunk from 30,000 average gates to many under 5,000 and to have over 10,000 in the ground was rare until the late 1980’s.

I also heard about Vince getting some very bad racial abuse from some Palace fans in late 1986 at Full Members Cup tie at Pompey (that’s the competition that became the Zenith Cup which we won at Wembley in 1991).

Don’t think there were many there, which probably made the abuse all the worse. Real shame because Vince was an absolute hero to all of us that watched him the 70s and early 80s for Palace, right from his Palace Youth matches, where we could see what a special player he was - as indeed many of that great youth side coached by John Cartwright went on to be too.

Lots of casual racism back then, which I guess the ‘Brown Boy on the wing song’ of the time reflects, but Vince was very much the Wilf Zaha of 40 years ago (wow, 40 years!) and I really only have happy memories - even though there were obviously some very bad ones too, which have happily vanished with time.

Milton Keynes Eagle 21-03-2018 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=CP Satellite;14174947]
I also heard about Vince getting some very bad racial abuse from some Palace fans in late 1986 at Full Members Cup tie at Pompey (that’s the competition that became the Zenith Cup which we won at Wembley in 1991).[QUOTE]

I was at the 1985 and 1986 away league games at Pompey and the racial abuse against Vince was particularly bad in the former. I had just started at Uni in Guildford and this was a short away trip for me on the train. Nasty atmosphere before, during and after the match.

Hedgehog 21-03-2018 05:12 PM

Reading that article, it sounds like he might have more affection for Portsmouth than he does Palace.

Probably a bit like being asked which of your kids is your favourite.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.