CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mayoral Election 2012 - The Race Is On (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231951)

EdMan 19-03-2012 11:20 AM

Mayoral Election 2012 - The Race Is On

Like it was ever going to be neutral...

TheMexicanHorse 19-03-2012 11:24 AM

I'd suggest the key issues are the transport fares, lets not remember Livingstone introduced this Oyster nonsense and increased TFL fares massively in his time in charge, and the legacy of the Olympics in London after the summer.

The promise of reducing TFL fares could be a game changer.

GreatGonzo 19-03-2012 11:29 AM

Ken breaks his promises though so while he will tell you he will reduce fares and he probably will the week he comes into office - 2 years later you will be paying more.

Says a lot about politics that this race is between the 2 of them - is there no-one better to run London?

EdMan 19-03-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMexicanHorse
I'd suggest the key issues are the transport fares, lets not remember Livingstone introduced this Oyster nonsense and increased TFL fares massively in his time in charge, and the legacy of the Olympics in London after the summer.

The promise of reducing TFL fares could be a game changer.

Oyster? Nonsense? Really?

GreatGonzo 19-03-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdMan

Self combusting bendy buses that couldn't get down some streets and attracted fare dodging?

TheMexicanHorse 19-03-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Yep.

Forcing people to buy a Oyster card to access normal fares is wrong. It's like me buying a monthly train ticket for work, then having to pay 5 on top for the actual photo card. Same principal.

TheMexicanHorse 19-03-2012 11:37 AM

Also I can't see tourists our overjoyed at having to purchase an Oyster either.

You don't have any of this nonsense in NYC for example.

'Activation Fee' = Nonsense

Maz 19-03-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Yep.

Forcing people to buy a Oyster card to access normal fares is wrong. It's like me buying a monthly train ticket for work, then having to pay 5 on top for the actual photo card. Same principal.

^^^

Quite right.

I travel on the tube maybe four times a year - why should I have to pay extra because of that?

west country boy 19-03-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

^

I have an unregistered Oyster card which I didn't have to pay for, and I don't have a photo of my ugly mug on it either (which I had to have on my old Travelcard).

Adlerhorst 19-03-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

You don't have any of this nonsense in NYC for example.

NYC have a discounted metrocard. Okay so the discount is smaller, but it exists. There is no max charge in NYC (it simply keeps taking your $2.25) whereas there is on Oyster.

Heb 7:4 19-03-2012 11:45 AM

Oyster cards are brilliant. Makes travel far quicker. I am happy that it is incentivised in order to make old fuddy-duddies who only travel on the tube 4 time a year switch over :)

EdMan 19-03-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz
^^^

Quite right.

I travel on the tube maybe four times a year - why should I have to pay extra because of that?

You don't pay extra, you just don't get the discount that comes with buying an Oyster Card.

EdMan 19-03-2012 11:51 AM

Anyway, the 5.00 is a deposit and not a fee, isn't it?

west country boy 19-03-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4
Oyster cards are brilliant. Makes travel far quicker. I am happy that it is incentivised in order to make old fuddy-duddies who only travel on the tube 4 time a year switch over :)

Even my dear old mum has (and understands the point of) an Oyster card.

Anyway, getting back on topic - I am going to be very adult when it comes to election time and will spoil my ballot paper as I did last time around. A plague on all their houses.

Adlerhorst 19-03-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Well we need a neutral thread don't we

:D

Good luck with that.

Maz 19-03-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

You don't pay extra, you just don't get the discount that comes with buying an Oyster Card.

You don't fall for that one at shops do you? Everything 50% Discounted!

EdMan 19-03-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maz
You don't fall for that one at shops do you? Everything 50% Discounted!

Getting a discount for bulk-buying is pretty normal though, so paying up front for travel can surely operate on the same principle.

Without the Oyster the whole system would be so much slower too, you're better off paying the extra, or maybe just getting one...

Adlerhorst 19-03-2012 01:12 PM

The full fare is quite clearly a punitive fare for people who want to / insist on using an inefficient system.

Given it takes about 30 seconds to get an oyster card, I cannot see how anyone would have an issue with this, but there you go. TBH I would increase the full fare further.

Brett 19-03-2012 01:29 PM

The only issue I have with Oyster is the rate of overcharging due to systems errors. The time saved by swiping in at the station is negated by the time spent having to claim refunds three times per week.

Maz 19-03-2012 01:32 PM

People with Oysters really think they are getting bargain discounts?

I don't understand all this fuss about high fares then - after all, you seem to happily wish them on others.