CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Jeremy Corbyn (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266238)

Big Blue Eagle 09-07-2016 10:55 AM

Jeremy Corbyn
 
Looks like this is going to emerge again. Tom Watson just announced that the initiative with the Unions is dead as Corbyn will not consider any level of compromise. Plus, the defence policy review is seemingly going to with some form of retention of Trident against Corbyn's views, with a free vote (again) in the Commons. It's not uncommon for MPs to have to be whipped to support policies they may disagree with, but you wouldn't normally have to whip the leader of the party on a manifesto item!

elgin eagle 09-07-2016 11:02 AM

Coup mk2? They are nothing but stubborn, I'll give them that.

Heb 7:4 09-07-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13100168)
Coup mk2? They are nothing but stubborn, I'll give them that.

Id say refusing to resign after 80% of your colleagues tell you they have no confidence is stubborn

Adlerhorst 09-07-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13100168)
Coup mk2? They are nothing but stubborn, I'll give them that.

Eagle has been waiting for a while to see how Watson's discussions went. She'll likely challenge on Monday if they really have broken down for good.

Adlerhorst 09-07-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 (Post 13100171)
Id say refusing to resign after 80% of your colleagues tell you they have no confidence is stubborn

Dunno about that, but if BBE's post is correct and Corbyn won't consider any level of compromise whatsoever, then that's all kinds of stubborn.

elgin eagle 09-07-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 (Post 13100171)
Id say refusing to resign after 80% of your colleagues tell you they have no confidence is stubborn

Would you? I'd say let them put up a candidate good enough to beat me in a leadership contest, and lets have no more damaging crappy coup attempts. But each to their own.

Big Blue Eagle 09-07-2016 11:10 AM

This is the quote...

Watson said: “Since the talks began, Jeremy has publicly declared his intention to continue as leader come what may. This means there is no realistic prospect of reaching a compromise that satisfies the majority of colleagues in the PLP.

“It is with regret and profound sadness that I have concluded there is little to be achieved by pursuing wider conversations with our union affiliates at this time.

elgin eagle 09-07-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 13100172)
Eagle has been waiting for a while to see how Watson's discussions went. She'll likely challenge on Monday if they really have broken down for good.

It would be good to have an Eagle as prime minister one day I guess.

Nth Kent Eagle 09-07-2016 11:20 AM

So stalemate then? Is there any research into what Labour voters rather than members think of Corbyn?

N Herts Eagle 09-07-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13100175)
Would you? I'd say let them put up a candidate good enough to beat me in a leadership contest, and lets have no more damaging crappy coup attempts. But each to their own.

Problem with it is this, they put up a candidate, they get beaten as the mish mash of far left groups decide that Corbyn is still the man. 4 more years or until the election which many believe will see the loss of seats on a scale not seen for years. The PLP members have made it clear as they could the guy is incompetent surrounded by even more incompetents, let alone all of the other issues, and will not work with him.
All this will do is split the Labour party in a way far greater than the SDP ever did, and I for one will happily support them in doing it. The coup is not about to take place it took place the moment Corbyn was elected the SWP Momentum plus others used the voting system and succeeded after 30 years to achieve what they always wanted. If Corbyn wins this challenge then after a lifetime of support for Labour then no more from me.

Adlerhorst 09-07-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13100185)
It would be good to have an Eagle as prime minister one day I guess.

Labour has plenty of people who would make competent prime ministers. I am not remotely convinced Eagle is one of them.

Maz 09-07-2016 11:24 AM

Too squeaky.

El Aguila 09-07-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 13100208)
Labour has plenty of people who would make competent prime ministers. I am not remotely convinced Eagle is one of them.

That was going to be my next question, thanks.

Nth Kent Eagle 09-07-2016 11:32 AM

They seem to have a number of talented youngish MPs available but they aren't getting behind Corbyn. Shame but I'm not sure how this can end well in regards for 2020.

Adlerhorst 09-07-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Aguila (Post 13100214)
That was going to be my next question, thanks.

Suppose Corbyn survives all this and leads Labour to electoral disaster in 2020, then I wouldn't mind having a sneaky ten pounds on Wes Streeting being the PM some time in the mid to late 2020s.

Nth Kent Eagle 09-07-2016 11:36 AM

By the end of the year Labour needs a firm view on Trident, HS2, an airport runway and all the issues around Brexit. If Corbyn stays then he won't be able to build a strong enough team. If he is kicked out his supporters will tear the party apart.

Mat ov CPFC 09-07-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverambo2 (Post 13094292)
If the Tories have May vs Corbyn then they will frame the debate around competence vs incompetence and they will then procede to wipe the floor with labour.

This is why Labour need a new leader.

Well quite.

One selects a new leader through a regulated process that gives its membership the ultimate choice in terms of who that person is.....oh wait, that is the Labour party. :)

LOL.

Adlerhorst 09-07-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle (Post 13100225)
By the end of the year Labour needs a firm view on Trident, HS2, an airport runway and all the issues around Brexit. If Corbyn stays then he won't be able to build a strong enough team. If he is kicked out his supporters will tear the party apart.

not sure about that. If he is kicked out, the first thing that will happen is that the PLP will re-asset authority. Momentum will be sidelined / disempowered. They'll make a lot of noise but unless they set up on their own and crucially take Union funding with them, then I really don't see it.

elgin eagle 09-07-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adlerhorst (Post 13100208)
Labour has plenty of people who would make competent prime ministers. I am not remotely convinced Eagle is one of them.

Well exactly. It would only be good on a Palace level. Suggesting alternatives to corbyn that appeal to everyone and be able to win the election read like a ' pardew out' thread. Very few names mentioned.

Heb 7:4 09-07-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elgin eagle (Post 13100236)
Well exactly. It would only be good on a Palace level. Suggesting alternatives to corbyn that appeal to everyone and be able to win the election read like a ' pardew out' thread. Very few names mentioned.

She'd need to appoint her sister Chancellor so protesters at Downing Street would should "Eagles" at them.

I'll get my coat


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.