CPFC BBS

CPFC BBS (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Recommend a TV programme (http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187551)

lanepe 24-06-2009 07:19 PM

Recommend a TV programme

We have a thread for fillums so why not one for quality TV programmes?

Especially now that they way in which we view programmes has changed so much with the onset of BBCi Player and the like, internet download, and the various catch up TV options on satellite and cable. In the past if you missed a show that was it, but now if there is a goodun that someone recommends then you can watch it when you want.

Quite a few times I have been engrossed in a documentary and wanted to mention it here but felt it didn't quite deserve its own thread. Feel free to post it here.

Anyway, time will tell if it is a goer or not.

I will post a review in a bit as I am half way through sometink.

MicksSis 24-06-2009 07:26 PM

Monkey Thieves - Nat Geo Wild
Brilliant series - documentary about a gang of urban monkeys running wild in the town of Jaipur - India.
The narrator is Sean Pertwee - The monkeys all have names and are ranked within the gang. They get up to all sorts of wonderful stuff.
Would love to know how they filmed it.
Highly recommend it.

(Only thing is - not too sure when it is on)

CPFC_DAVE77 24-06-2009 07:41 PM

Did anyone see the BBC TV play 'God on Trial'? That was fascinating. The plot takes place in Auschwitz with the inhabitants of a specific hut discussing whether God has broken the covenant with the Jews by allowing their persecution from the Nazi's. As the plot thickens, various members of the group get involved with their own opinions, some religious, some not, some feeling betrayd ans some viewing the holocaust as a test. The occupants decide to quite literally form a court, and thus put God on Trial.

It really was excellent and i'd advise anyone who is interested in this period of history to give it a watch.

lanepe 24-06-2009 07:54 PM

True Stories - Another Perfect World
More4 23/06/09 10pm

Superb documentary about virtual worlds and how the real world interacts with them and vice versa.

Some great Japanese and Korean weirdness. Korea now has three TV channels dedicated to showing online game play. I just can't imagine tuning into watch someone else play a computer game. The contestants are huge stars with fan clubs in the hundred thousands. Companies have created stables of these players where they practice for 10 hours a day plus and compete once a week, earning about 150,00 euros p/a.

It also looks at whether the programmers who control these worlds are qualified to pass judgement on the real world and what makes a utopia.

S'good.

You can view it on 4OD here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/a...fect-world/4od

BelfastEagle 24-06-2009 08:44 PM

Top gear, all day every day it still wouldn't bore me

Clarkson is my hero!

Dave 24-06-2009 08:44 PM

Figures

Lizzy 24-06-2009 08:49 PM

West Wing.

All 7 seasons.

Dingle 24-06-2009 08:49 PM

Entourage - One of the funniest programs i've seen. It's well written, acted and has some great characters in it - Ari Gold is a legend!

Duffle Coat 24-06-2009 08:50 PM

Watching the Box set of Mad Men. Don't understand the hype tbh but I have only watched two episodes so far.:confused:

EMLEY EAGLE 24-06-2009 08:55 PM

I have started to watch the Wire.

Think it is an excellent series.

Just finished Series 1.

It was hard to understand the language at first but by the 3rd episode I was well into it.

Think it is only second to The Sopranos of all that I have seen

Beatleboy 24-06-2009 09:00 PM

Only Fools and Horses.

I know that it never off our screens, but I just can't resist watching it!:)

Dave 24-06-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffle Coat
Watching the Box set of Mad Men. Don't understand the hype tbh but I have only watched two episodes so far.:confused:

It's AMAZING

eaglejez 24-06-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy
West Wing.

All 7 seasons.

Yep best TV program of all time

"please, I can only answer 13 or 14 questions at once...":p

stevey_d 24-06-2009 09:02 PM

Dexter

Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe/Newswipe

Arrested Development

15 Storeys High

Flight of the Conchords

Lizzy 24-06-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglejez
Yep best TV program of all time

"please, I can only answer 13 or 14 questions at once...":p

CJ is my heroine.

The Addonians 24-06-2009 09:12 PM

Nothing to recommend as i'm totally disinterested in TV at the moment but this is a great idea for a thread and i hope it doesn't die as i'd love a decent documentary to grab my attention. Well done lanepe :p

Dave 24-06-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy
CJ is my heroine.

It's all a bit 90's

Lizzy 24-06-2009 09:17 PM

I liked the 90's

gold76 24-06-2009 09:24 PM

supernatural

just finished season 4 on itv2

wonderful escapist entertainment..

GodstoneEagle 24-06-2009 09:32 PM