View Single Post
Old 23-08-2017, 09:47 PM

salad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Saturday 28th February 1987. Palace 2-0 Blackburn (Wright, Irvine).

It was the season in which we were in realistic contention to qualify for the inaugural play-offs until the final fixture and, if you believed Noades' bluster (I didn't), our very future was being decided that afternoon via a few sheepish volunteers with clipboards. The apparently sincere suggestion that the new club would go by the name of "Crystal Palace & Wimbledon FC" OR ... "Wimbledon & Crystal Palace FC" said it all.

The day's attendance was 5,891. Never one to miss out an opportunity to make a buck, Ron had deemed that you had to turn up for the match to get a vote unless you'd filled in some exemption forms in triplicate. This policy reached its natural conclusion with the generous offer of signing up for Lifeline getting you to the front of the queue for Cup Final tickets.

Unbelievably, nobody seemed to be particularly enthused and the official result came in at about 90% in favour of "Piss Off". I suspect that that was a tactical underestimate in the same way that Mugabe, Hussein, Assad & the various Kims rarely claim to get more than 98% of the vote when they stand unopposed in their elections.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was probably just another chapter in the half-hearted long-term project between Noades & Sam Hammam to engulf Wimbledon into the less than mightly folds of CPFC for some reason. Grim times, yes but just 2 and a half years later we were beating Blackburn in the Play-Off final in front of 30,000.

And today ... it all seems a wee bit silly looking back. In fact Ron's pipedreams of a South London superclub look a hell of a lot worse than silly. Ill-conceived, futile, pointless, delusional etc etc
I was there. I remember thinking it was going to happen regardless of any vote glad I was wrong