View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
I was so gutted when Wrexham equalised at 2-2 that I could not bring myself to watch the rest of the match!

As Chocky says, most of us believed we needed the cushion of two goals to get clear of Wrexham (1976/77) wss the first season the Football League had introduced Goal Difference - before then it was Goal Average - and Palace had lost out a few times because of that system).

What some people do not realise is that Rotherham nearly overtook Wrexham and Palace on the last day.

They needed a victory by 7 clear goals, and were 4-1 at half-time!

Luckily for us, that was the final score too and because Mansfield got a last minute winner, we had more points than Wrexham, so the extra goal did not matter!

Mansfield's win also denied Brighton being champions and they had to settle for runners-up.

A great day all round!
In those days as a kid my Dad would take me to some reserve games, if he didn't want to go himself he would drop my friend and me off and leave us to our Bovril. Yes early teenagers drinking Bovril at football. But for some reason I wasn't able to be at the reserve game that was played whilst we waited for the Mansfield game to be resolved.

Somewhere in this forum James has great photos from that game when half the first team played in the reserve game. I had to sit in my room listening on LBC which was awful until the report from Wrexham that Mansfield had scored at the end.

Who opened their lunch?