View Single Post
Old 16-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Windsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is hereWindsor_Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
Not quite sure why you think it is a good model for club development? Have I missed something but it seems to be the same as Chelsea with one rich person/his beneficiaries who pumped vast sums of money in.

I do not think it is insignificant that this has happened during the transfer window either - it is quite possible that when NC went back and asked for more cash for "investment" the family finally said no. I have been expecting it to happen at some point since the owner died - I'm only surprised it has taken so long.

I have noticed people talking about investment - a football club is not an investment in any traditional sense only in footballing terms- you put money in and you get football glamour publicity and fame out. Very very rarely someone may make some money out of it as well but there really doesn't happen very often at all.
Worth repeating. Particularly when people talk about taking a 'short term gamble' on fees and wages to stay up like the hike in expenses is just a short term one. It sets the precedent of what you are willing to spend chasing it. Why did Stoke's wage bill and spends continue to rise after their first and second seasons having avoided the drop? Because they have to spend ever greater sums to just maintain the status quo.

It is a concern for me just how much it costs to be competitive in this league and whether we can, therefore, ever truly rebuild the infrastructure. If trying to do that means we have quite a prudent January (relatively speaking) then so be it.