Thread: Donald Bell, VC
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Ian Nannestad is playing for a contract
Donald Bell, VC

I am researching the football career of Donald Bell, 'the football VC' and wondered if anyone could help regarding his connections with Crystal Palace. He was a student at Westminster College in London from September 1909 to 1911, and most sources confirm he played for Palace. This is supported by a comment in a Harrogate paper which stated that he had signed for Palace at the time of his departure to London. However, despite some preliminary work in the Sportsman & Crystal Palace District Times newspapers I haven't located anything else. He doesn't appear in the AFS details of Southern League appearances, suggesting he was only a reserve, and he doesn't seem to have played in the London League team in 1910-11. Does anyone have any records for the reserve team for 1909-10 and 1910-11 who could throw some light on this. Otherwise any suggestion for newspapers I could look at for line-ups (I assume these are South Eastern League for 1909-10 and Kent League for 1910-11). Also, bearing in mind it seems he had planned in advance of arriving in London to sign for Palace, was there a connection between the club and Westminster College at this time (or possibly someone in the club had a link with Harrogate/Knaresborough).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ian Nannestad
Soccer History Magazine