View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 03:07 PM
I am a HAL 9000 computer

screamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldscreamingalice was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
Re: England's Golden Generation

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElwissAtMemphis
[B]It's been a favourite theory in the media this past year, that this year's England squad was the best since 1966. Given the righteous fury here and elsewhere with England's quarter final exit, it strikes me as being a theory that a lot of people here subscribe to too. So let's try to put it to the test.

Excluding 1970, when many of the 1966 players were still playing, below is a list of all the England players that played in all the subsequent World Cup finals. Obviously, a lot played in 2 or more tournaments so they only appear for the first time they appeared.quote)

Not sure you can exclude 1970. Many pundits would tell you that the 70 squad was better than the 66 squad and for two incidents-Banks illness and Sir Alf taking off Booby Charlton slighty too early, England would have played Brazil in the final and may well have won back to back titles. So I am going to include some of the 70 squad

(4-4-2)

Banks (70)

Newton (70)
Moore (70)
Terry (06)
Sansom (82)

Waddle (90)
Bell (70)
Charlton (70)
Cole (06)

Lineker (86 & 90)
Shearer (98)

Sub's Shilton, Pearce, Butcher, Gazza, Owen.

"The 9000-series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000-computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definitions of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."

In memory of Arthur C Clarke 1917 - 2008 the most visionary and versatile thinker of the last 100 years.