View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 03:43 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Re: Re: England's Golden Generation

Quote:
Originally posted by screamingalice
Not sure you can exclude 1970. Many pundits would tell you that the 70 squad was better than the 66 squad and for two incidents-Banks illness and Sir Alf taking off Booby Charlton slighty too early, England would have played Brazil in the final and may well have won back to back titles. So I am going to include some of the 70 squad
The reason for that was that the media's claim is that the current squad is the best since 66 and many of those players were still playing 4 years later.

Obviously I assumed that people would pick players while they were at their peak. It's an 18 year old, 1998 vintage Michael Owen that I want coming off the bench as the oipposition begin tire. Not the injury-prone liability we glimpsed this year.

Also, my motive isn't really to say what a great manager Sven was. Just what a load of bollocks this Golden Generation hysteria is. That comment from Alan Shearer above just beggars belief. People really have bought into this idea that football suddenly got twice as good because they renamed the top flight The Premiership and started broadcasting 2 matches live a week.

It's a surprisingly small pool of players that people have picked from so far. Reassuring to see that the massively over-rated Chelsea triumvirate of Terry-Lampard-Cole have mustered null points so far.