View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
London has had the Olympics three times now, and I cannot see it ever getting a 4th.

To be fair another city, eg Manchester may want to bid at some time in the future, however there are so many major cities around the world from countries that have never hosted it, I cannot see any city in GB getting it in our lifetime.

I think they need to make a hard decision - either leave it permanently set up in 'West Ham' configuration (ie with the scaffold stands), or knock it down one side at a time and build a proper football stadium there.

There is a running track next door to the London Stadium, there's your athletics legacy!

The loss-making cost over the 99 years that West Ham have signed up for will be £2BN. Spurs' ground, a proper football ground with fancy retractable pitch etc will cost £800m, less than half.

Bite the bullet time rather than faff about for another 10 years and be another £200m down
In truth, there are now a decreasing number of countries/cities that are bidding to host the Olympics, itís just not affordable for most.

Paris and LA seemed to win the next ones quite easily.

I expect the whole process and stipulations will have to be reconsidered, but I can see why the IOC donít want to give the Olympics to a city thatíll then turn the athletics stadium over to football as soon as possible.

But itís hard to imagine many countries will be able to hold the Olympics in future unless they have regular guaranteed use of their stadium afterwards.

Coupled with athletics being increasingly viewed with scepticism by the public due to the drugs issues, the future of athletics isnít looking great is it.