Thread: Jeremy Corbyn
View Single Post
Old 17-08-2018, 09:26 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOL_Beagle View Post
All laudable. Except Corbyn is going about it in a manner than suggests otherwise.

If he believes that dialogue is the only way forward then I'd suggest that openly aligning himself with organisations that wish to obliterate Israel isn't going to open many dialogue doors with Israel. In fact, quite the opposite. It'll just fuel their siege mentality.

His present/past actions are all very well for a 6th form political student but he's now potentially a leader-in-waiting. His past actions and affiliations will negatively impact his chance of 'enabling and facilitating dialogue' as one important side (Israel) will undoubtedly want to have nothing to do with him.
History has shown that dialogue usually is the concluding method to bring about peace. Eventually, there will be that dialogue, there has to be, unless the Palestinian people are going to be wiped out or exiled from their home completely by expansionism from the other side.

I think you have not read his approach correctly. Israel does not need support yet or even dialogue with Corbyn, after all he is not in a position to influence their policies in opposition. In Palestine's very weak position he is focusing on the underdog and their current plight, which is far greater than Israel's, and where he can influence more easily and effectively. There is the hope, as with the IRA who were the weaker underdog too, that he can change things and get Hamas down the route of dialogue, rather than resorting to an exchange of missiles or air attacks, every time something goes wrong in that process.

There is no doubt in my mind that Israel is not going to change at the moment and that the expansionism will continue, against the wishes of the UN, so it will need ultimately, just like south Africa, a new set of sanctions to to ease the way to meaningful talks. The important thing is to talk to both the moderates and the violent ones, empathise when valid in tandem, as a means to solve the issues and to ease tensions.

I think we do agree though, that Corbyn hasn't handled things in the right manner, but for different reasons.