Thread: Ian Evans
View Single Post
Old 13-09-2017, 08:43 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Away to Millwall at the old den no less unless I'm mistaken
His hat-trick was in a 3-2 win at home to Colchester United (Sat,30-Aug-1976). A distinct rarity in that he was playing in central defence. The only defender to match the feat since has been Dean Gordon in December 1995 but a couple of those were penalties. I'm pretty sure all of Evans' were from open play; a couple of them trademark headers.

He continued to pick up Wales caps while playing for us in Division3 back in the days when it still meant something. As already mentioned above, his career was sadly curtailed by an outrageous foul by George Best in Oct 1977. I think he possibly captained them at least once but I can't find on-line confirmation. He remains one of the only Welsh XI to have beaten England at Wembley in 1977.

Relatively speaking, a great of the era for us. A sadly unfulfilled talent. His nickname "Taff" epitomized the truly unimaginative heyday of 70s football.