View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
I feel a bit for Zeki Fryers. Obviously we don't know what is or has been going on in his life but clearly he has some talent otherwise he wouldn't have been signed up by Manchester United or Tottenham.

I think last season we saw glimpses of what he can offer as an attacking full back. The trouble for me is that his positioning and ability to track back totally compromises him as he was far too often stuck 50 yards away from where he should be.

It's almost like he needs to play a position like Centre Back where he has to stay in one position otherwise he is always going to end up out of position.
Without starting conspiracy theories it has always seemed that there is something unspoken about his time with us - and credit to all concerned if that's been the case. There has been talk of low confidence and I guess when you debut and look good for ManU and then it all goes wrong it is a lot to take that in turn can lead you off course. As a youngster I saw a minor version of this with a school friend and he walked away from the game altogether.

As you say as a player he seems to have all of the fundamentals. maybe not blessed with electric pace but OK if his positioning and reading of the game were top notch but TBH they are all but non-existent at times. That element is confusing because he will have been coached well and has already played alongside some top players, Ferdinand, Vertonghen and Damo

I hope he does well but his time with us has obviously been a real disappointment for him and the club as both hoped for more I am sure. It seems a lifetime ago that he was leaving the training ground driving his Agent's Bentley and it looked like we had solved the LB problem. Having watched him at Palace I wonder if he would thrive as the left sided player in a back 3. Barnsley have a pretty good record for turning out top CB potential lately (Stones and Mawson?) and maybe we should have swapped Fryers for their defensive coach/scouts.