View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Nigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNigelbrag came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
The Sako thing gets raised all of the time. As I understand it (sketchy at best)- out of contract players always negotiate a higher wage because the club doesn't have a transfer fee to pay. This has been the case for as long as I can remember.

I don't know what a transfer fee would have been for Sako but as he had just scored 15 goals in the Championship from the wing and it wouldn't have been cheap. So at say 5m he would have been cheap back then. But let's say he doesn't get all of that but instead gets 3m over a 3 year contract. That's worth about 20k per week. If it's 4m then that's 25k. The remaining 35k or 30k would be his 'normal wages as a goal scoring winger. (hindsight is wonderful but not available when negotiating contracts.

I don't know exactly how this works but to the club it still looks like a good deal on paper and probably better for cash flow otherwise they would pay it as a signing on fee. The point is you can't look at his wages and compare them directly to others without taking this into account. This is despite whatever you/we think about his ability/performance.

I had thought we paid for Fryers and so this wouldn't apply. But he was ex ManU, Ex Spurs, European competition experience and so on and wouldn't have helped. But I thought he was on 20k. So together they are on 75k. I don't think it helps your blood pressure but I did try (I am going by that Wisden of football the daily Star) To view the link you have to Register or Login
Whatever way you try to dress it up there can be no excuses for their lack of effort/performances that they have given to Palace (least said the better for the rewards they received, and that was the point i was making.
As for what that is, none of us would know the truth i was simply basing my comments on what i had read their salaries were Sako 65k p.w and Fryers 30k p.w, and people talk about fat cats bankers!
These players as you quite rightly pointed out came with high reputations and expectations were high, but what did we get in return?