View Single Post
Old 18-06-2012, 06:28 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11
27/11/89

ZDS 2nd Round

Palace 4 Luton 1

A crowd of 3,747 saw us dispatch Luton on an absolutely freezing and foggy night at Selhurst as you can see from Nigel's attire. If you look very, very closely at the Luton player on the ball, i think you'll find it's none other than Ian Dowie.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Strangely enough, this game is one of the more memorable games i've been to because of a certain referee called Kelvin Morton. Yes! the same ref the previous season against Brighton that awarded 4 penalties to us and one to them. We were a goal down in this game through an Ian Dowie header, but then Morten waved his magic wand and in a space of 3 crazy minutes sent 2 of their players off and their assistant manager for verbals! (Danny Wilson, David Preece and Terry Mancini).

This basically paved the way for us to steam roller them 4-1 with goals from Bright 2, Wright & Pardew.

I do remember the Palace humour on the terraces at its best that night after the sending off's. We all took great delight chanting everytime Luton players gave away a soft foul: 'OFF! OFF! OFF!'

Was Kelvin Morten's undoubted love for Palace ever proved? We could've done with more refs like him last season.

The day after this game Coppell made yet another crucial signing that played a large part in the succes that would follow: Andy Thorn £550,000 from Newcastle.

In addition to the other Morton magic, I remember Brighty shoving the centre half blatantly and comically as the ball was crossed from in front of the Arthur for him to head home. Morton ignored it naturally.