View Single Post
Old 19-06-2012, 05:30 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
24/3/90

Div 1

Palace 1 Aston Villa 0

With Ian Wright probably out for the rest of the season, and Palace hovering just 3 points above the relegation zone, playing the league leaders was probably not the best timing. But Coppell again pulled out a great signing from left field: 30 year old Garry Thompson, languishing in 2nd division Watford's reserves, for 150,000.

Thompson's braun and enthusiasm was just the tonic we needed and he had a dream debut as we played to his strengths, namely lobbing the ball up to his head at every opportunity! It worked, and Villa couldn't handle him, and it was of course Thompson who scored the winning goal.

After the game, a fuming - and very bitter! - Villa boss Graham Taylor, moaned about our excessive use of the offside trap 'bringing the game into disrepute.' Taylor fumed: 'I can go on the training pitch and teach a lot of things, but i can't go out and teach people how to play offside. I'm not interested.'

This is the man that brought long ball football to the top of our game and made a right hash of being England manager, mmmmm........

Garry Thompson waits for another set piece to be thrown in, with Barber nearby.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Andy Gray prepares to launch another bomb towards Thompson.

The final whistle goes and Gary O' Reilly applauds an unlikely victory. Interesting to note the clock at the Homesdale end reading about 4.40pm. Presuming it was keeping time correctly, it shows you that games end a lot later these days, probably due to a longer half time break and stricter injury time.