View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Back in Christmas '94, I was working at Our Price records in Croydon High Street. Dean Gordon came in and bought a load of CD's. I'd known Dean growing up. We played constantly against each other through the years for both school and Sunday League sides, and a few of my best mates played in his Sunday team, so we weren't pals but certainly on nodding terms.

Anyway, he comes to the counter with his batch of CD's and recognises me and comes over and says hi. As I'm putting his discs through the till I hear him say to me, 'Hey, do you think you can get me a discount?'. Talk about putting me on the spot. I'd only just started work there and just didn't have the cajones to go and ask my new boss. But here was a Palace player asking me for a favour. I just sheepishly said 'Sorry Dean' and explained I'd only started work there and really couldn't.

He just smiled and said 'ok', but I bet in head he was striking me off his nodding terms list. Have to say, in the back of my mind I was thinking, 'your a Premiership player - why would you need a discount?!' Cheek!

Ha - nice story Bubbs. Although Iím sure he was far from being skint, the levels of pay were clearly no way what they are now. I wonder what the players were on in those days. Worst case, surely still on a couple of grand a week I would have thought?!