View Single Post
Old 29-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
13th September 1968 v Fulham.

Promotion season. We had started well, Fulham were struggling (might have even been bottom?). I went with a couple of schoolmates whose father was on a coach organised from the factories in New Addington.

We lost, of course, to goal from Malcolm "Supermac" MacDonald, who back then was still a left back (remember them?), a left-foot pile-driver into the bottom corner from 25 yards, which was later to become one of his trademarks.

On the way home, the coach stopped a boozer until 11pm closing, with us kids sitting on the coach being supplied with crisps and cola (no kids in pubs back then either). We finally arrived home around midnight, where my dad was pacing up and down outside the factories, fit to be tied. I wasn't allowed away evening games for a while after that.

Still a good evening, though