View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik59 View Post
Or it's been re-affirmed if you believe in a representative democracy, which I do while you dismiss any distinction. You could rightly criticise the way parliaments & governments have acted in some respects but the fact remains that it has been our chosen system for 5 centuries. And one key advantage of it is that it has checks & balances against the rule of a minority by a majority with the consequences we see amongst countries inhabited by johnny foreigner. We elect and mandate our representatives to decide on what's best for the whole country, especially, under our social traditions, the poor and vulnerable. You can pour scorn on it all you like, & threaten to attack our democracy by burning Westminster, but we are not, & nor should ever be, ruled by a direct democracy.

While there is a certain irony in claiming Brexiters are rejecting foreign political interference by abandoning British political tradition to some extent I disagree. If you donít have a written constitution then a convention can be established quite quickly and it seems to be an accepted convention now that constitutional matters will have referendums and Parliament implements. This leads to the situation that those claiming to be taking back sovereignty for Parliament have actually just created the greatest loss of Parliamentary sovereignty in modern British history. You have a government and legislature that has to implement a policy which the majority of parliamentarians and ministers not only disagrees with but thinks is profoundly damaging to the country.

I do agree direct democracy isn't necessarily more democratic and is often the opposite.