Thread: Suggested Team and Formation For: Everton (home)
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 PM
All views stated are IMHO

glaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is hereglaziers fan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
This is going to be an interesting one for me and a test for Roy as he seeks to integrate Benteke back into the shape to get the goals we need without tipping over the improved stability at the back or diluting the impact of our better players.

The dilemma remains that to keep his preferred solid 2 banks of 4 and a narrow back 4 he is faced with a few options:

One would be leaving out one of Andros/Wilf. If he leaves out Wilf, he is crazy an if he leaves out Andros he probably won't see many crosses.
One way of keeping them both in the side is to slide into 451 but that would see both Wilf and Andros with defensive duties and changes the way we play and the pressure on opponents etc. significantly. Not necessarily bad - just different.
OR he pushes Andros back into that right sided slot and asks him to play as Macca did - prioritising defence albeit not exclusively. This is actually closer to the role FDB had him playing in a 343 in that HK friendly. Unlike many, I thought it suited him because he I just think he does better when he runs at defences at pace from deep rather than trying to turn his man marker. Most of his best moments seem to come from that.

So if I was Roy I would lean towards that. This seems to me to be the biggest question.

Speroni
Fosu-Mensah - Dann - Sakho - Ward
Townsend - Luka - Cabaye - Schlupp
Benteke - Zaha

I am surprised that some don't rate Timbo. I think he has been a breath of fresh air TBH. A defender who tackles and tackles well, he has pace and despite occasionally getting his starting position wrong, I reckon he gets the job done. I remember Clyne did the same, and still does. Timbo is a top player for me.

Dann really has done well lately and it would be unfair to drop him after Sunday which was surely his best of the season.

Schlupp has at times been awful and then very good 2 mins later. I have picked him mostly because I think Roy will go for safety first. I would rather start with Loftus-Cheek who I think could drive through their fragile midfield but maybe a sub in the second half?
PVA will start at left back if fit. Otherwise I agree. (I'd have TFM right back and RLC left mid, but I think Roy will go with Ward right back and Schlupp left mid for their experience).

As you say, at least the subs bench is there for the 2nd half!