View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poosence View Post
Trump's tactics are probably good at cementing his 20% of the republican vote but I can't see it working if/when candidates start falling away. And the hot air is all his - this proposal is surely unconstitutional.
The tactic tends to be that a candidate will play up their right wing stance for the primaries and then, when selected, tone it all down in the run up to the actual elections.

But I think things are different now in the US. The divides seem, at least from what I read and see, sharper. And Trump does seem to connect with people on a level that many of the other Republican candidates fail to do. A lot of people in the US want a wall built along the Mexican border. And not just those you would stereotype as red-necks. I think that this argument is far more nuanced than we see it portrayed over in this country. Perhaps he has gone a little OTT with this current outburst (even I baulked at it) but it will only take another mass casualty attack in the US for people opposing his proposal to be put on the back foot. I suspect that Trump is a lot shrewder than people give him credit for. As it is he can always moderate his stance. But those who oppose him cannot afford to make their own more severe.

Put him up against Hillary Clinton and you have perhaps the ultimate 'Marmite' Presidential election race looming. Both tend to provoke strong feelings in those who dislike them and I see nothing to gained by either side taking the middle ground.