View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Jonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJonboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpswichEagle
Just because we live in a democracy does NOT mean we (and the rest of the world) have a right to know the details of everything that goes on behind closed doors, especially sensitive matters that are confidential for a reason. It means we elect the people we think are best to make the decisions. If we don't like the consequences of their decisions we kick them out.
Yes, we elect governments to represent our interests. However, I don't see how this gives a government a 'right' to secrecy. Quite the opposite in fact. We have a much greater right to know what is being done on our behalf.

That said, we can decide that government can operate more effectively if certain matters are are kept confidential. Society, at least temporarily, gives up its right to transparency in the name of good government. This does not create a right to privacy for the government.

Quote:
I am curious to know how much every person in my company earns, or have a look at the internet history of my neighbour. But i can't because of a thing called privacy. I live with that because as a citizen of a democracy i understand the value of the right to privacy.
Individuals have a right to privacy. I don't think that necessarily extends to government.

Quote:
Why should the world know what contingency plans are in place in the event of x invading y, or the key operational sites for the security of a state? Why is this not a private matter?
Because the workings of government are not a private matter. They are a public matter.

Quote:
If there is reason to beleive ACTUAL wrong doing then follow the legal channels.
I agree. Arresting someone on a freedom of speech issue on, possibly trumped up, unrelated charges is not an appropriate legal channel.

Quote:
If the leaks are meant to embarass and sensationalise then i do not support them.
Fair enough, but I am concerned when governments feel they have a right to withhold information from their electorate simply because it is embarrassing.