View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
I have been appalled by the reaction of many of the Remainers not only on here but out in the real world over this democracy question. I genuinely believed that the notion of one man/one vote was absolutely concreted into our collective psyche but that has taken an enormous battering over the last few weeks.
Or it's been re-affirmed if you believe in a representative democracy, which I do while you dismiss any distinction. You could rightly criticise the way parliaments & governments have acted in some respects but the fact remains that it has been our chosen system for 5 centuries. And one key advantage of it is that it has checks & balances against the rule of a minority by a majority with the consequences we see amongst countries inhabited by johnny foreigner. We elect and mandate our representatives to decide on what's best for the whole country, especially, under our social traditions, the poor and vulnerable. You can pour scorn on it all you like, & threaten to attack our democracy by burning Westminster, but we are not, & nor should ever be, ruled by a direct democracy.