View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
There's a piece in the FT comment today from a former director-general of the Council of the European Unionís Legal Service in which he claims Article 50 is legally reversible. The comments are more interesting than the piece actually, plenty of senior lawyers are FT subscribers.

If the Government was smart it would seek legal clarification on that before triggering Article 50, it gives it a much stronger negotiating position.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Yes. And Piris is to be respected. Plus the Council is the ultimate decider on this, as the EU's lawmaker (not the Commission as Brexit liked to pretend). I'd even warrant that the Council will appoint it's own negotiator, as it can under A50, and ignore Juncker's. So this is important.

For those that can't read the article online, his argument is this: A50 is invoked unilaterally; A50 only requires the "intention" to leave and legally an intention can be changed; and the whole process is subject to "constitutional requirements" so these could halt the process also.