View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM

palacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalacea came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I don't think it destroys the competitive equality, as we saw last season with some of the results (on the pitch). But if you are referring to the longer term of a smaller club managing to break into the established order (i.e becoming a big club), then yes those gates will forever be closed now. I for one don't think smaller clubs could ever become a bigger really, i.e Southampton etc, with the old rules, just the illusion was maybe slightly more achievable.

If you look back over the last 30-40 years, yes a few clubs have had a good season or two, Palace finished third once, Ipswich finished Fourth I think, and many others. But there was always a common theme with that order, those smaller clubs were merely a blip, or a cycle in which the smaller clubs enjoys, bad times with some really good times thrown in. The big clubs are the big clubs because they are established and have been where they are for 50-60 years consistently.

Recently Chelsea and Man City have broken that mould slightly and joined that elite club, however at vast costs and which they will probably never break even or ever be able to fill what Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal could in stadia consistently.

Something needed to be done to stop the likes of Portsmouth, QPR and others. On the flip side if UEFA had never of mentioned the FFP, I don't think city would have spent so much over the previous years, but as they had a deadline before FFP was implemented and they had the cash, they went for it to break into that elite club before it was too late.

As the rules stands Man City will be the last to break into the elite but realistically who else would have the cash and the sustained cash over the next 10-15 years with massive losses on a consistent basis. None on a consistent basis that's for sure.

Last edited by palacea; 09-07-2014 at 10:09 AM.