View Single Post
Old 29-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Lest we forget

Gark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_gilberts_hammer View Post
Must be local surburban routes into London Bridge & Victoria that are the problem. I commute every day from deepest Sussex into London Bridge for the past 30 years and the service now is far and away better than it has ever been. Trains are clean, bright, air conditioned in the summer, warm in the winter...
Yes, I believe that you are right. They are desperate to improve performance and since a train is not 'on time' until it is 10 mins late, they make sure that the longer distance trains get priority.

I can monitor the internet to make sure my train is on time but when it gets to Purley it invariably sits and waits for a train from Horsham, Reigate or some other god-forsaken place that has to be let through, even though it is running 5 mins late. They know that it will only get later sitting outside East Croydon and its London Terminus and that they can manage it better by running both trains with a few minutes delay in the hope that neither gets declared 'late'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle
I would hazard a guess that the train was "delayed" as it would be late, and the fact it is "cancelled" is probably because they decide to run it fast, thus not stopping at Wallington? Last night going to the game the service was an all stops to Victoria which was altered to stop at West Croydon, Selhurst, Clapham and Victoria only.
Is this a change in Southern's policy? This happened to one of my trains a few days ago. The train having sat at Purley for 10 mins, waiting for another, my phone told me it was cancelled at Purley Oaks and South Croydon while it was still due on the platform. 30 secs after the platform display updated it whistled through the station, next stop East Croydon.

I can only hope that Boris has his way and takes over all surburban routes. The overground runs so much better and the crappy 377s from the 1980s might disappear (although they must be up for replacement soon).