Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 23-07-2016, 08:19 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
This anti intellectual attitude that people who go to Uni are workshy is sadly typical amongst many in the UK and is why Michael Gove can come out with drivel that people have had enough of experts and why Nigel Farage can say that no EU politician has ever had a proper job. I would like to know how people who have such an attitude think our country can work without educated people.
I agree. My jaw dropped when I read on this thread that someone viewed going to uni as dodging work. Sounds like someone with a chip on their shoulder that other peoples kids are doing better than they ever did. People are so happy to jump on a 'people talking the country down' bandwagon but the more insidious viewpoint is looking at the future workforce of the country as wasters when in fact they are getting an education to better themselves and, if the incentives are in place, by natural progression the country too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 23-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy01 View Post
What an unbelievably crass comment.

So the 'baby boomers' who are due to retire soon did that just to f*** off the young. i.e. their own kids and grandkids. Whilst also, according to the remainers. 'f***ing the economy and therefore their own pension opportunities.

More likely the reason is, that they want the availability of work and decent pay opportunities for their grandkids when they leave university and they have a chance of getting a house.

My daughter was a really upset remainer and at first she would not talk to us. Having spoken with immigrants where she lives and some of my friends and our family who have struggled due to excessive immigration she has mellowed so much that she is staying with us all of this week.

Note: I am not opposed to immigration at all. However, it needs to be controlled. Over 4m (3m from the EU) is too many. It is affecting housing, healthcare and several other services regardless of cuts. More people equals more stress on these factors.

17m racists did not vote leave and the sooner some of the remainers wind their necks in and understand that the better.
Now hold on just one minute. I never said boomers such as yourself voted leave to **** off the young. That's a terrible thing to suggest.

I said you did it out of rank selfishness.

You put "too many immigrants for me" over what your daughter wanted for her future. Your right of course, but don't pretend it was noble.
Old 23-07-2016, 08:24 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by the drexciyan View Post
I agree. My jaw dropped when I read on this thread that someone viewed going to uni as dodging work...
This was certainly sometimes true in my day, but it was in a different millennium, before tuition fees and safe spaces and hashtags and whatnot.
Old 23-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
This was certainly sometimes true in my day, but it was in a different millennium, before tuition fees and safe spaces and hashtags and whatnot.
Although in the late 70s, many of us went to Uni to avoid lack of work. Youth unemployment was shooting up. Having said that, arts students like myself were not known for our industry.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Banned by Moderators

Justin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin Beaver : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine

Last edited by Justin Beaver; 24-07-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I worked my bleeding fingers to the bone reading Philosophy with Lit. Many was the night I had to pile a stack of Descartes under a shelf full of Becketts before I'd finished with all the Kants. Especially in the mushroom season.
Some people don't know they've been born.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:04 AM

delboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is heredelboy01 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Now hold on just one minute. I never said boomers such as yourself voted leave to **** off the young. That's a terrible thing to suggest.

I said you did it out of rank selfishness.

You put "too many immigrants for me" over what your daughter wanted for her future. Your right of course, but don't pretend it was noble.
Read the last sentence of my post.

The UK NEEDS IMIGRATION. It just needs to be controlled and the right kind of immigration. Immigrants taking jobs from people OF ALL COLOURS already living in the UK is counter productive.

All of the information now coming out supports the views those of us that voted out were saying.

Pay being reduced. Report: This generation of young people are the first to earn LESS than their parents.

EU Immigration up in 10 years from 760K to 3m. Rest of the world immigration stable at 1.1m

If I was selfish then I would have voted to stay in and take early retirement instead of prospectively screwing my pension fund.

You are assuming that all those who voted out are racists. A very immature view.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik59 View Post
Although in the late 70s, many of us went to Uni to avoid lack of work. Youth unemployment was shooting up. Having said that, arts students like myself were not known for our industry.
Personally I went to univserity to avoid going to university (in three years I attended 39 hours of university, which equated to about two weeks)
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:13 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Personally I went to univserity to avoid going to university (in three years I attended 39 hours of university, which equated to about two weeks)
I took five years for my three year degree, and suspect I attended not many more lectures than you did. I used to go to Senate House library, read the Sun then have a nap in the hope that I would learn through osmosis.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:14 AM
jft39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik59 View Post
Dunno about you, young mik, but my Ancient History degree has proved invaluable in later life.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy01 View Post
Read the last sentence of my post.

The UK NEEDS IMIGRATION. It just needs to be controlled and the right kind of immigration. Immigrants taking jobs from people OF ALL COLOURS already living in the UK is counter productive.

All of the information now coming out supports the views those of us that voted out were saying.

Pay being reduced. Report: This generation of young people are the first to earn LESS than their parents.

EU Immigration up in 10 years from 760K to 3m. Rest of the world immigration stable at 1.1m

If I was selfish then I would have voted to stay in and take early retirement instead of prospectively screwing my pension fund.

You are assuming that all those who voted out are racists. A very immature view.
I never said you were a racist. I said you voted out of pure selfishness. You put your (frankly daft) opinions on immigration (most of which is from outside the EU and has always been in our power to control) over and above what your daughter wanted for her future.

Entirely your right, but I don't blame her for being pissed off. It's quite the kick in the face.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:15 AM
thoughtful & kind..

The Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake and Eat It View Post
Wow. So much hate and bile on this thread. Condescending attitude from anti-addick and others.

Is it any wonder people voted leave with shit like this.
So a leave vote was a protest against the BBS?
Old 23-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
I took five years for my three year degree, and suspect I attended not many more lectures than you did. I used to go to Senate House library, read the Sun then have a nap in the hope that I would learn through osmosis.
does a history degree have more than 39 lectures in three (or even five) years?
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:19 AM
jft39

Quote:
Good point - I was conflating lectures and the quasi-mythical "seminars".
Old 23-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Lectures, pah. I hardly attended any except in cases where I knew the lecturer was an examiner.

Books ruled. And tutes of course.

That will all now be different thanks to Brexit (and the Internet).

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 23-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Lectures, pah. I hardly attended any except in cases where I knew the lecturer was an examiner.

Books ruled.

That will all now be different thanks to Brexit (and the Internet).
of course no one ever went to lectures. My 39 hours were tutorials. Blagging those was something of a challenge though with small numbers (one on one is no more or that would have been a challenge).

The only reason I got away with it was I spent most of my vacation jobs ploughing through the reading list (to avoid actually doing my vacation jobs)

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 23-07-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle Kneevil came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
As a history student, I learnt that the past is a foreign country and that I needed to get back control of it.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
(one on one is no more or that would have been a challenge).
One to one still standard in quite a few subjects at my alma mater.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 23-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
One to one still standard in quite a few subjects at my alma mater.
maybe, but then your college (and all colleges at your university) wasn't an option for me as only ran lite versions of what I wanted to read.

I picked my degree subject on what I could do in my sleep, and having to read PPE or Economics and Something would have required effort at the P and the P or the something, and deep down I knew I was a lazy bastard.
Old 23-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Wagon Painter

mik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is heremik59 Sam the man is here
I actually got chucked out after my 2nd year (for insufficient course work) & had to repeat it so learnt to do charity applications which stood me in good stead for my first working foray into the voluntary sector.