Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Allan Holdsworth RIP

Guitar great, RIP

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-04-2017, 12:03 PM
legit

foetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is herefoetus eagle Sam the man is here
It's a shame he wasn't better known outside of guitar geeks. No one could play guitar as well as Allan Holdsworth. RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gambale

"I saw Allan play last night at the Baked Potato and I must say that, without a doubt, he is truly The Grand Master..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Lane
"I saw Allan Holdsworth when I was about 14 in 1978. I never dreamed a guitar could be played like that and that really changed my whole life.

If I hadn't had seen Holdsworth I may have just continued to play some blues and rock music and might have even given it up later or something,

but when I saw him at 14, that really inspired me to try to play guitar in my own way at another level."

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McLaughlin
"I recall a concert of Allan in London some years ago, and after the performance I went to see him backstage only to tell him that if I knew what he was doing, I'd steal it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngwie Malmsteen
"Allan Holdsworth also has a strong style. A long time ago, Jens took me to see him in a small club in New York. I had to take my hat off to him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Metheny
"I totally agree that Allan is one of the greatest guitarists ever - his work on the mid-70's Tony Williams records was revolutionary and changed everything for guitarists everywhere. It is a real mystery to me why he is not a household name. but it really doesn't matter, his contribution is large and i think all musicians know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morse
"His influence is just that he's such a drastic unyielding individual. You know, 'I'm going to do my thing and I'm going to do it the best I can."

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Petrucci
"There's so many great guitar players. Al DiMeola, Alan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, John Scofield, so many great players..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Santana
"He has something totally beautiful..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Satriani
"You know, I should say at the beginning, a big difference between me and Allan is that I built on stuff that Allan pioneered, and in a small way (chuckles) I tried to assimilate a lot of what he did on the guitar technically. So it's very different. His musicianship was so far ahead of mine when I was starting out, looking at books and picking out scales and stuff;

Allan was in a stage where he was constantly reinventing guitar, and I was a fan in the audience, you know what I mean?

So I'd have to say in all honesty, I've taken from Allan Holdsworth, and tried to figure out, "How can I use what this guy has done to further what I'm trying to say?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Vai
Steve Vai did an article entitled "Guitar Secrets" - "Pull off and Hammer-on" in Guitar Power magazine in May 1986 and explaining the "legato" technique with examples he says ...

"Allan Holdsworth is a master of playing this style."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Halen
"Holdsworth is the best in my book. He's fantastic. I love him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa
Q: Was there ever a practitioner of the guitar - Hendrix say - that blew you away in terms of being a total original?

FZ: "One of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet is Allan Holdsworth. I really respect his playing."
I see so many fans of the aforementioned around here, but how many of them even know who Holdsworth is? Or can comprehend the immense impact of his work on guitar virtuosity in the past thirty years?
Old 17-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Streams, Speedos & beer.

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
I first learned of him.when he played on Level 42s Guaranteed album, led to me listening to other stuff by him. Superb stuff.
Old 18-04-2017, 12:57 AM
Mmm, Flaming Burgers

BBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBBD came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
RIP Allan. The archetypal musician's musician. He'll be deeply mourned.

Loved Allan Holdsworth's contribution to Nucleus. This was the pre-cursor to The Softs' Hazard Profile which foetus posted yesterday. "Song For The Bearded Lady": just go to you-toob for it!

Old 18-04-2017, 01:17 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I used to think with Holdsworth, 'he's playing all the wrong notes'. But, of course, he wasn't. Nobody like him. Not sure I could listen to hours of him, but he's worth checking out if you don't know what he could do.