Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-03-2017, 01:34 PM

hdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I have video highlights footage of Palace's 6-0 away win at Birmingham and the 3-1 away win at Man City.

Both of these are from local network tv.

Both are on vhs format

I wonder how many other Palace fans were suspended from school for missing their English Exam and going to see the memorable 4-2 win at Wrexham instead.

I took the missed exam at night school and passed and my essay was about Palace's amazing win at Wrexham.
Old 23-03-2017, 11:56 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
I have video highlights footage of Palace's 6-0 away win at Birmingham and the 3-1 away win at Man City.

Both of these are from local network tv.

Both are on vhs format

I wonder how many other Palace fans were suspended from school for missing their English Exam and going to see the memorable 4-2 win at Wrexham instead.

I took the missed exam at night school and passed and my essay was about Palace's amazing win at Wrexham.
Highlights of the 6-0 v Brum win (shortish highlights) and almost an hour's worth of the 3-1 win at Man City are on youtube already. May be the same coverage?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 PM

Location: currently on steep hill overlooking Hastings and the sea
DocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
First time ive seen this thread - started watching Palace about same time as John Hughes and Willie Wallace signed from Celtic - brilliant to see again but please tell me it wasn't 45 years ago .
ok it wasn't

it was 46 yrs ago
Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 PM

mewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemewsend : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
does anyone have a copy of or a link to a progrm on ITv in 1990 a few days after our 3/3 final against man u
i think it was crimewatch and there was a large section about the build up to the game
i was on it with some familyand and would love to see the footage again
Thanks
Old 10-04-2017, 12:10 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Found this obscure one. 23rd Jan 1988, Middlesbrough 2-1 Palace. Jesus, Ayresome Park was a dump. A dangerous one too by all accounts.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:14 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Found this obscure one. 23rd Jan 1988, Middlesbrough 2-1 Palace. Jesus, Ayresome Park was a dump. A dangerous one too by all accounts.

Nice one.

Because of the 9-0 and being replaced by the great Nigel Martyn, Suckling has gone down as almost an irrelevance, but watching that reminds you how around that time he really was our saviour and quite a hero. Having taken over from Wood who had well and truly passed his sell by date, Perry came in and was superb.

Funny, as he was one of the few players in our promotion team that I didn't worry about making the step up, but as it panned out he was the first to fall.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Here's a couple I don't remember seeing before...

The opening match of the 83/84 season against Manchester City. No commentary for some reason. City's goals courtesy of Andy May and Derek Parlane on his debut. Palace also fielded 5 debutants, none of them any good with the exception of one stalwart who did a reasonable job over the next 5 seasons. Can you name them?

Plus the league match of 81/82 at Loftus Road. It's amazing looking back just how terrible that pitch was; how it was allowed I'll never know. We all remember the FA Cup quarter final later that season but this was just the 5th match of the season in mid September. Same result courtesy of Simon Stainrod. I'd forgotten about the penalty which was a rare moment of quality from Paul Barron; good to see Clive Allen messing up. What a terrible kit; it amazes me that some people here occasionally express nostalgia for it ...

Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I was at that Man City game Elwiss, I remember the programme featured those 5 new signings you mention. Stan Cummins, Ally Brown, George Wood (who I assume is the stalwart you mention), can't remember the other two though (probably thankfully).

I didn't know the game had been captured on film, great find.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 PM

EmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Think Les Strong and John Lacy were one of those 5. Think Ally Brown may have arrived the season before as I remember him in the sash kit.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:48 PM

EmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEmmerGreenEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Andy McCulloch was the other. God he was crap
Old 12-06-2017, 01:14 AM

The 5 debutants were George Wood, John Lacy, Tony Evans, Andy McCulloch & Stan Cummins.

Now there's a forward line to strike fear into even the most obdurate of defences. Stan Cummins was quite highly rated at the time but naturally turned out to be a massive disappointment. Freakishly short is my abiding memory. 5 ft 4" according to wikipedia; he was never going to get a hatfull leading the line. To be fair, he got 8 goals in 34 appearances which is almost prolific by the standards of Palace strikers at that time. McCulloch and Evans were woeful. Tony Evans succeeded in setting some sort of obscure goalscoring record that season by finishing as top scorer with 7 while failing to ever score at Selhurst Park.

Ally Brown had been shown the door at the end of the previous season as had Ian Edwards & Tommy Langley hence the influx of useless strikers. It hardly seemed possible to start with a weakened forward line having offloaded those carthorses but against all the odds, we succeeded. Also making their bow in the first few weeks of that season were Les Strong, Gary Stebbing and John Fashanu on loan (in his wisdom, Mr Noades deemed him not to be good enough to lead the line alongside Messrs Evans, McCulloch & Cummins and he was dispatched whence he came after 2 matches). Paul Wilkins also wowed us up-front in the first few games, even scoring once, but I can't recall anything about him.

God, those were grim times.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
How we managed to stay up I don't know, we got out of jail thanks to Mabbutt and Cannon, a couple of 2-0 home wins at the end of the season, but it was mostly grim.

The exception being the breathtaking home win over Newcastle, in their horrible shiny shirts
Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I was getting confused between Ally Brown and Andy McCulloch, thanks for correcting me.

My vague recollection of the City game is that we were never in it, a totally one sided encounter and a portent of things to come as the season progressed. The City fans turned up in numbers in the corner of the Holmesdale.