Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 30-05-2017, 04:45 PM
or maybe not so civil

civil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is herecivil eagle Sam the man is here
Laptop/Tablet

Need to get a new Laptop/Tablet primarily for my daughter to use for her GCSE's any recommendations for what's out there and reasonably priced.

Will need to be able to run Windows 10
Old 30-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Keep an eye on HUKD's for a laptop which is hot and around what you want to pay

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 23-06-2017, 03:54 AM
Probationary User

ginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollie
What size and budget do you prefer?
Old 23-06-2017, 03:55 AM
Probationary User

ginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollieginoa belongs to Ollie
Maybe take a look here for some ideas and views: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 04-07-2017, 07:21 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
I am also looking for a new laptop/tablet for my son. His new school specify they must have a windows 10 laptop before they start year 7 in september. They also recommend touch screen with a stylus so they can write on worksheets etc.

My initial thought was I don't really want to pay the 800 for a surface pro 4 with keyboard, case and stylus. However having looked around there appears to be a problem with many of the touch screen laptops that are cheaper in that you cannot lean on the screen and write at the same time which pretty much renders that functionality unusable in any practical sense.

So are there any sensibly priced alternative to the surface?

Last edited by scro; 04-07-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
I am also looking for a new laptop/tablet for my son. His new school specify they must have a windows 10 laptop before they start year 7 in september. They also recommend touch screen with a stylus so they can write on worksheets etc.

My initial thought was I don't really want to pay the 800 for a surface pro 4 with keyboard, case and stylus. However having looked around there appears to be a problem with many of the touch screen laptops that are cheaper in that you cannot lean on the screen and write at the same time which pretty much renders that functionality unusable in any practical sense.

I picked up a leveno for c.300.
I had my doubts before I bought it, it's been the best one I have ever bought.
After 2-3 years or whatever I'll bin it and just buy a new one.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Are they not called Lenovos?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post
I had my doubts before I bought it, it's been the best one I have ever bought.
lenovo yoga?

This is one of the considerations as they are considerably cheaper. The doubt is more related to how long it will last and how good the touch screens are for writing on.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:35 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros 69 View Post

Remove, chew and swallow the hard drive, before disposal.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Danger Zone

Stavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is hereStavros 69 Sam the man is here
Quote:
lenovo yoga?

This is one of the considerations as they are considerably cheaper. The doubt is more related to how long it will last and how good the touch screens are for writing on.
I've been a total numpty, it's actually an acer.
It's not a touch screen or anything, just a standard laptop.
Either way it's been very good.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:34 PM

rhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhino_mik came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Kids must have a laptop before they start school these days? Wtf? I remember it was an ordeal for my parents having to fork out 50 on a blazer!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 PM

I ended up getting him an asus transformer pro 3. They had an offer on them in pc world and i read that the 4gb ram version has comparable performance to the 8gb surface pro 4 with only battery life as the slight downer. The reality is he can carry an addition 1200 mah battery with him it's so small and light so that will do it. I hope i made a decent decision looks like a decent compromise and will save him asking for a tablet as well at some point in the future.

They do have to have a laptop yes. I don't know many schools that insist on it like his but many make it clear it's a huge advantage and some use chromebooks and make them compulsory i believe. To be fair to them i agree with their approach, they try and get them to use their laptops in almost all lessons and have school wifi. The weird part is they insist on them also having a french dictionary.. you would think if they all have web access the easiest thing would be to use an online dictionary?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:43 AM

Snikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSnikt5 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I noticed the surface pro 4 mentioned quite a bit on here. How good is it? On the Amazon Prime day it is discounted to c456 with the keyboard included.

I have a Asus x102b which I use for writing novels and the odd spreadsheet. I love it but it is getting a bit clunky now and am thinking of upgrading. However the newer models seem to be a step down in quality. Will the Surface Pro 4 be too much of an upgrade for what I need?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Marki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for youMarki is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt5 View Post
I noticed the surface pro 4 mentioned quite a bit on here. How good is it? On the Amazon Prime day it is discounted to c456 with the keyboard included.
I had the i7 512gb Surface Pro 4 and ended up returning it.

Plus points - very quick to boot due to the SSD. Looked lovely and was light and easy to move and use. The kick stand meant that you could sit it on your lap at whatever angle you liked. The Windows 10 o/s meant that in theory you could run all your usual Window programmes.

Cons - whilst the high resolution display was very pretty it did mean that some pieces of non Windows software would have such tiny resolution that the text was unreadable. The o/s refused to let me make a recovery USB disk which was disappointing.

Equally annoying was the almost constant fan noise.

But the most disappointing aspect was that during an attempt to rip a DVD the unit switched off due to overheating! Several times this happened.

I wanted to like it but to me it was style over substance.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt5 View Post

I have a Asus x102b which I use for writing novels and the odd spreadsheet. I love it but it is getting a bit clunky now and am thinking of upgrading. However the newer models seem to be a step down in quality. Will the Surface Pro 4 be too much of an upgrade for what I need?
That is the very entry model. I think performance to buck you get a better deal with the asus transformer 3 which is tiday on offer for 600 with keyboard and pen. The performance I am told in all but battery life is close to the 8gb i5 surface 4 which will set you back about 1000 all in.

So far very happy with the asus as well but gutted to have paid 650 last week!

Last edited by scro; 12-07-2017 at 09:30 AM.