Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 31-08-2017, 07:01 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Anyone fancy a game of cricket near Bromley this Sunday?

A last minute long shot. My club, which is based on the Surrey/Sussex borders, has an away fixture against a team near Bromley on Sunday and we are 3 players short. If we don't find anyone by lunchtime we'll probably have to cancel, so if anyone on here plays cricket for a club and maybe their season has finished but they fancy another game, PM me. You don't have to be world class, but if you can bat or bowl you will get a decent game rather than just fill in the spaces.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 AM
A rare visitor

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
I'll take the deafening silence as a 'no' then
Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 AM

aj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Where are you playing? I may be able to help out in terms of getting numbers up
Old 01-09-2017, 08:28 AM
A rare visitor

Have PM'd you
Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 PM
A rare visitor

Just need one now!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM
A rare visitor

Got 11.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
This reminds me of when our Working Men's club got a game against one of the banks.

They went into bat first and both their openers score a 100+, we couldn't get the ****ers out.

Then we go into bat and are all out for 5.

I don't think they were very impressed... in fact they were pretty pissed off as they had laid on a nice tea for us.

Needless to say, we didn't play them again!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:29 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
This reminds me of when our Working Men's club got a game against one of the banks.

They went into bat first and both their openers score a 100+, we couldn't get the ****ers out.

Then we go into bat and are all out for 5.

I don't think they were very impressed... in fact they were pretty pissed off as they had laid on a nice tea for us.

Needless to say, we didn't play them again!

I hate to ask it but were any of the 5 extras?
Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
In one dayer club cricket there needs to be a limit. 50 and retire. Most of their team didn't get a bat.

If you're turning up just to make up the numbers so a couple of show offs get a good day's cricket - you soon get bored.

I turned up for 5 years here in Chile. Nearly every week. Broke my shoulder falling heavily avoiding a run out. No-one (well one chap) asked how I was after the event. I stopped going and nobody contacted me. I went on South American friendly tours with these pricks - even played for the Chilean team.

The cnuts had the cheek to start pestering me every day a couple of months back to sign some register so they could continue with funding. I told them that I thought they had forgotten who I was - over their selfish heads it seems. I love Ex Pats in their bubbles.

Last edited by PeterH; 02-09-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post

I hate to ask it but were any of the 5 extras?
You may be right!

I would like to say I at least got 4 of those, but I was bowled out first ball (as apparently were most of us!).

God that was a long time ago.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:57 AM
Red Squirrel Ultras Rule

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Good luck to the bbs ringers. Post a report afterwards
Old 02-09-2017, 06:54 AM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin eagle View Post
Good luck to the bbs ringers. Post a report afterwards
There is nothing like a good ringer..... I used to captain the departmental cricket team in the yearly works cricket competition. Always good for a laugh and a few drinks afterwards it was far more a social event than a cricket game. 12 overs a side no more the two overs per bowler retire at 25 runs. We were never that good but not the worse either.
One game we came up against the Trainee team made up from across all the departments . Unfortunately a fight delay left me two men short whilst I managed to find one reserve we turned up with 10.... As we were about to go out to bat a young lad turns up seems he is a trainee reject from the team so I offer him a game, the captain is happy so its agreed.
We batted you kind of knew he was at least not a novice when the umpire called no ball and he instantly was talking about too many behind leg. On the opposition you kind of knew the guy dressed in full whites was the star and when he came on for his two overs and took two wickets in his first two balls you could see why , so I sent the ringer in. He faced six balls and was back retired not out on 28, us old boys clapping him as came off, just to wind the Trainees up a little more. He muttered about being a better bowler than batsman. We did manage to engineer another 4 runs from him by sending him back out after we lost the last wicket as retirees were allowed back a tactic that was always useful if you had a couple of good players.
So we go out to field we are doing ok and after they lose the first couple of wickets the guy in full whites comes out hits the first ball for six, huge mistake massive first chance I get I put the ringer on to bowl. He runs up a few steps and bowls pretty fast and he gets hit for four. Calls me over and asks can he bowl off his normal run. A quick discussion with the Umpire (who happens to be the tournie organiser ) its agreed that providing its not dangerous ie above waist height and as the guy at the other end obviously knows what he is doing it will be fine. I politely let the batsman know whats been agreed.
As he is walking back to the pavilion he thanked me for letting him know but it made no difference he never saw the ball anyway.
We win.....a great game..... the ringer took 4 or 5 wickets and we all retire to the pub.
The trainees join us I ask the captain why he never chose the guy seems he was from the northern site and no one knew him they had a practice he could not make so he was left out. Seems they had left out a Lancashire Under 18 who played in the same side as Freddie Flintoff and was semi pro in the Lancashire league (playing at weekends).
Old 02-09-2017, 07:17 AM

aj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaj4england came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
In one dayer club cricket there needs to be a limit. 50 and retire. Most of their team didn't get a bat..
I would give up Saturday league club cricket if it ever became retire at 50. There is an art to making a big score and providing you are playing 'at your level' makes for a great challenge
Old 02-09-2017, 01:42 PM
I am a BAD MAN

RazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRazorsEdge came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
In one dayer club cricket there needs to be a limit. 50 and retire.
I think it is running between the wickets for me, my nick name is treacle toes in club and now I find myself playing the second team and I enjoy it more. When I get to 50 I may retire....i may...
Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM
A rare visitor

In the end we played with 10. The 'ringers' we had were local lads who played for the next village's under 14 side. We batted first in a 35 over match and in soggy conditions made 126-9. Locksbottom were then reduced to 15 for 3 thanks to yours truly taking the first two wickets and getting a run out off my bowling. They then progressed to 55 for 6 before a very handy middle order batsman came in and almost single handedly knocked off the runs with 8 balls to spare. To say I was disappointed was under-statement. Defeat from the jaws of victory and all that.

On Peter H's point about retiring from one day cricket at 50, I'd say it depends on the club you are part of. I came out of retirement at 56 having not played for nearly 25 years and now wholly regret not having taken the game up again sooner. I play for my boyhood club that I first played for in 1973, a little village down on the Surrey/Sussex borders and on a Sunday we make sure that everyone gets to do something. Many games see 9 or 10 people get a bowl, and if you don't bowl you'll be top half of the batting order. No one goes away feeling they have not contributed.

This coming Sunday we're playing Carlton Sports. Apparently quite a few palace fans in their side, so if you're one of them and on the BBS say hello.

Last edited by Al From Bromley; 05-09-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:56 PM
A rare visitor

PS I just checked the Sunday side bowling stats and I am second highest wicket taker and top in terms of strike rate of all those who have bowled at least ten overs this season. Not bad for a 58 year old trundler/spinner. Amazing how you can tweak them (the ball and the stats) to make you look half decent.

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 05-09-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietWolfnipplechips came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al From Bromley View Post
PS I just checked the Sunday side bowling stats and I am second highest wicket taker and top in terms of strike rate of all those who have bowled at least ten overs this season. Not bad for a 59 year old trundler/spinner. Amazing how you can tweak them (the ball and the stats) to make you look half decent.
Speaking of stats......I have the best strike rate in my club this year.

Bowled one over (9 balls) 1 for 14. Quality.