Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Bankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ah, the dim and distant ...

Can't see it mentioned anywhere .... so ....

Luton away (possibly in the cup?) ...

I still remember people charging about all over the place, and the missiles flying everywhere after the game (particularly around an underpass toward the station), and the general absence of cops in any numbers .....

I was at the Leicester 4-4 .. still have vivid memories of George Wood ..!!!
Old 13-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerhater1
Ah, the dim and distant ...

Can't see it mentioned anywhere .... so ....

Luton away (possibly in the cup?) ...

I still remember people charging about all over the place, and the missiles flying everywhere after the game (particularly around an underpass toward the station), and the general absence of cops in any numbers .....

I was at the Leicester 4-4 .. still have vivid memories of George Wood ..!!!
Luton was 81/82, the year after we were relegated. It was the first match I went to on a Special. Getting off at the station with a big chant of 'Eagles, Eagles' ringing out loud. Proper lairy after the match there, too.
Old 15-01-2012, 12:07 PM

Bankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBankerhater1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's Old Man
Luton was 81/82, the year after we were relegated. It was the first match I went to on a Special. Getting off at the station with a big chant of 'Eagles, Eagles' ringing out loud. Proper lairy after the match there, too.
I think I was on that too ...

I've got a vague recollection someone once told me all the Police disappeared to some sort of emergency ... hence the post-game chaos .... !
Old 10-09-2017, 08:18 AM

AddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is hereAddoWolz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman View Post
So many memories. I was at a lot of the games mentioned above. Middlesboro stands out. I would have had it at less than 50 of us on the terrace. We were winning 1-0 until about 5 mins left. They equalised and then went down the other end and scored to leave them 2-1 up. There could only have been 3 mins left but **** me we only went and scored twice to win it 3-2! I remember them climbing over the fences down the other end and pelting us with coins and whatever else they could get their hands on from the corner to our right. Mental! We had hired a car for this game and didn't fancy walking the streets trying to find it so ended up paying a bus driver £5 to take us to find our car!

Another one (there are so many) that sticks in my mind was travelling to Shrewsbury for a game. We got to Birmingham and found out it was called off. The lads I was with went back to London but I ended up going to Coventry v Sheff Wed with Adrian's lot. Sat in the Sheff end. Remember one or two altercations with Cov fans during the game (amazing seeing as I didn't give a toss about either team!) Loads of beer drunk but on the train home we had run out. The buffet car was shut so someone decided to 'open' it. The guard came through so we ended up getting off at Watford as we thought OB would be waiting at St Pancras. Anyway, on the tube home some buckets of sand was getting thrown around. Of course, they had called OB but we didn't know. Someone got on wearing a skull cap. I decided it would be a good idea for a game of frisbee! As soon as I did it, OB were outside the carriage. I ended up having a night in Golders Green nick!

Others thaat spring to mind are:
Beating Leeds 3-1 at Elland Road and getting run silly afterwards.
Ointment at Odsal!
stoke OB being way OTT meeting us at the station.
A good day out in Blackpool before the Play-off semi.
Beating Man City 3-1 when their keeper was sent off.
Losing at Blackburn 5-4.
Losing a night game at Norwich 4-3.
Beating Brum 6-0 (can only remember Jim Cannon's goal?!)
Talking of Jim Cannon, I remember him getting a goal off his thigh in the last minute at scumwall in the cup. Think this was an equaliser to get a replay but not sure, could have been a winner!
Wicked weekend away at Plymouth after beating them 2-0. My mate had a cousin there and we stayed with her. Fine girl!!
As mentioned above, standing in that corner terrace at Grimsby and winning 3-1. Andy Gray scored. Someone said that people from that game would have been in Uddevela, I wasn't there but I was in Grebbestad if that counts!
I remenber Chris and Gildo's (RIP) cheese sarnies on some of the special trains I went on.
Palace team sharing the same train on the way back from Leeds............
I could talk all night but will shut up now!! Loads more I could think of tho!!

Edit.
Oh, just one more. That pub in Bournemouth! think it was mentioned earlier. I remember the guy standing on the tables leading the sing-song..There's a woman in glitter...etc. Mad days. When people got fed up with waiting to be served they would just throw the glass at the bar staff! Not to be condoned of course..
The bit at the bottom , That pub in Bournemouth , I've never seen a more passed up bunch of Palace fans , what a great laugh it was and a 19 year old me on the table leading the singing and tryingto avoid the flying classes happy days
Old 10-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!Braintree Eagle has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddoWolz View Post
The bit at the bottom , That pub in Bournemouth , I've never seen a more passed up bunch of Palace fans , what a great laugh it was and a 19 year old me on the table leading the singing and tryingto avoid the flying classes happy days
Haha - Axeman was my old log in before I forgot my password. Like my mate Joe.L was saying on the other thread. That Bournemouth game was something else!
Old 15-09-2017, 03:33 PM

wrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerhater1 View Post
I think I was on that too ...

I've got a vague recollection someone once told me all the Police disappeared to some sort of emergency ... hence the post-game chaos .... !
Wernt there a bomb scare that day
Old 15-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWel View Post
Wolves at home 0-0, 9th May, 1985. att 5,413

The ref was having a nightmare and the Palace fans became more and more incensed. Don was in the Arthur and had actually told people around him that he would be on the pitch if the ref made one more bad decision.

Cue bad decision.........and on went Don, I seem to remember that the ref was at the other side of the pitch so Ron had some running to do to get to the ref. Once he got to the ref he only had a few seconds to protest the decisions and wave his arms around before the stewards and old bill got him. I am pretty sure he did not hit the ref.

The next day he was all over the papers and as stated earlier in the thread he made a GMTV appearance.

Uncle Ron banned him for life.
Got introduced to him in the Prince George before Watford, last day of holmesdale

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Tenim un nom, el sap tothom
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 15-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Keep St George

King William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKing William came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman View Post
So many memories. I was at a lot of the games mentioned above. Middlesboro stands out. I would have had it at less than 50 of us on the terrace. We were winning 1-0 until about 5 mins left. They equalised and then went down the other end and scored to leave them 2-1 up. There could only have been 3 mins left but **** me we only went and scored twice to win it 3-2! I remember them climbing over the fences down the other end and pelting us with coins and whatever else they could get their hands on from the corner to our right. Mental! We had hired a car for this game and didn't fancy walking the streets trying to find it so ended up paying a bus driver £5 to take us to find our car!

Another one (there are so many) that sticks in my mind was travelling to Shrewsbury for a game. We got to Birmingham and found out it was called off. The lads I was with went back to London but I ended up going to Coventry v Sheff Wed with Adrian's lot. Sat in the Sheff end. Remember one or two altercations with Cov fans during the game (amazing seeing as I didn't give a toss about either team!) Loads of beer drunk but on the train home we had run out. The buffet car was shut so someone decided to 'open' it. The guard came through so we ended up getting off at Watford as we thought OB would be waiting at St Pancras. Anyway, on the tube home some buckets of sand was getting thrown around. Of course, they had called OB but we didn't know. Someone got on wearing a skull cap. I decided it would be a good idea for a game of frisbee! As soon as I did it, OB were outside the carriage. I ended up having a night in Golders Green nick!

Others thaat spring to mind are:
Beating Leeds 3-1 at Elland Road and getting run silly afterwards.
Ointment at Odsal!
stoke OB being way OTT meeting us at the station.
A good day out in Blackpool before the Play-off semi.
Beating Man City 3-1 when their keeper was sent off.
Losing at Blackburn 5-4.
Losing a night game at Norwich 4-3.
Beating Brum 6-0 (can only remember Jim Cannon's goal?!)
Talking of Jim Cannon, I remember him getting a goal off his thigh in the last minute at scumwall in the cup. Think this was an equaliser to get a replay but not sure, could have been a winner!
Wicked weekend away at Plymouth after beating them 2-0. My mate had a cousin there and we stayed with her. Fine girl!!
As mentioned above, standing in that corner terrace at Grimsby and winning 3-1. Andy Gray scored. Someone said that people from that game would have been in Uddevela, I wasn't there but I was in Grebbestad if that counts!
I remenber Chris and Gildo's (RIP) cheese sarnies on some of the special trains I went on.
Palace team sharing the same train on the way back from Leeds............
I could talk all night but will shut up now!! Loads more I could think of tho!!

Edit.
Oh, just one more. That pub in Bournemouth! think it was mentioned earlier. I remember the guy standing on the tables leading the sing-song..There's a woman in glitter...etc. Mad days. When people got fed up with waiting to be served they would just throw the glass at the bar staff! Not to be condoned of course..
Oitnment.... used to go the England away with them for a year or two some years back ( 2000's). Older lot, original ointment. Got some photos somewhere

They got there name from one of them giving someone a clout and had a cut....and one of the Bradford saying " you need some ointment on that"....used to go to England with the chap who coined the phrase

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 16-09-2017, 12:59 AM
W.I.N.

Purepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPurepalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by King William View Post
Oitnment.... used to go the England away with them for a year or two some years back ( 2000's). Older lot, original ointment. Got some photos somewhere

They got there name from one of them giving someone a clout and had a cut....and one of the Bradford saying " you need some ointment on that"....used to go to England with the chap who coined the phrase
You mugging me off?
Old 16-09-2017, 01:27 AM
Keep St George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purepalace View Post
You mugging me off?
Ha. Not at all!

Blaugrana al vent,
un crit valent
Barça, Barça, Barça
Old 16-09-2017, 05:15 AM

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's Old Man View Post
Remember loads of us causing mayhem in a shopping centre after the game.Windows smashed the lot.......
Old 16-09-2017, 05:45 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
In the same vein.

I am not a hoolie or fighting fan. But I am thinking about the tail end of this era. 1987 to 1991. Luton away, must have been when we went up under Smith. Good beers pre, and we scored in the first minute as we were walking into the ground. We won, and after the gane we walked across the overpass and six at most Luton fans were fronting the entire Palace away contingent. I remember some chap saying to me -are you going to give it / and I was eating a rather nice pie. Other Palace were shouting / hold your shape. It was 1,000 against six. Funny as feck.
Old 16-09-2017, 05:49 AM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Maybe there were more Luton waiting around the corner.

I remember I had to have a pie, because they had sold out at the ground at half time. There was a fat bastard in the queue and he got dogs abuse when the story came out that there were no more pies.
Old 16-09-2017, 05:50 AM

Getting served pints at Old Trafford was a nice touch in 1989.
Old 16-09-2017, 10:30 AM

wrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewrightchipvcfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
Remember loads of us causing mayhem in a shopping centre after the game.Windows smashed the lot.......
Been Luton away lots of times when we won drew ect but was never the trouble there was that day and we lost seem to be kicking off all way back to station
Old 16-09-2017, 02:39 PM
One Henry Hughton

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se9 eagles View Post
Probably the same day cars got turned over in a multi storey.Lutons mob turned up but every time palace went to leave a volley of bottles and bricks were thrown.

Twinned with MK Dons
Old 16-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git View Post
Probably the same day cars got turned over in a multi storey.Lutons mob turned up but every time palace went to leave a volley of bottles and bricks were thrown.
I was in that multi storey
Old 17-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
There was a fair bit of trouble on the way back to the Luton station in the away match around 78 too.
Old 25-09-2017, 06:22 PM

hdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diethdeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Stoke away at the Victoria Ground there was a bar in our end selling 2 pint glasses of beer at half-time.
Palace were 1-0 down at half-time and came out playing a formation of 9 forwards and 1 defender and this crazy formation worked as we drew 1-1.

I remember a very drunk Palace fan sleeping on the terrace and as a result missing the majority of the game.